Home Forums General General Disaster!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

We were out all day today and got home a few hours ago to find that, in our absence, the geyser burst. The geyser is located in the roof between the main bathroom and our bedroom. Right over my bedroom cupboard. In addition to the TV, electronic safe, dvd player and legal documents that all had a nice hot shower, i also had the following on the top shelf:

– Warhammer 40k 5th ed rulebook
    – WEG Star Wars Miniatures Battles Rulebook.
    – Inquisitor Rulebook
    – Mongoose Conan RPG rulebook
    – A box containing my 20mm WWII collection.

The models can be fixed up, but the (out of print) books are a loss. Damn.
    So a word of warning: dont store anything valuable in the vicinity of your geyser.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

William Jones
    Participant

You have my sincere sympathy, Paul. I’ve lot through one means or another 95% or more of all my wargames stuff. Storms, leaks and theft mostly.

While you can, scan the pages of the damaged books. The original is damaged beyond repair of course, but the data can be retrieved. Baking the books are low heat while periodically shuffling the pages to separate them is another way to go.

If it happens to photographs, freezing is actually the best way to separate them.

I’ve reluctantly come to the conclusion that every document we have that is unique or valuable should be scanned and stored in the cloud. Not that I have taken one step to do so…

zippyfusenet
    Participant

My condolences on your loss.

Try to keep in mind that they’re all just toys. If you really want these particular items, you can replace them. But I bet you don’t. Now go have a good cry, or a stiff belt, or a good swear, or whatever best vents your frustrations.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Norm S
    Participant

A bad moment made worse. I hope that some of the items that were very important to you will be able to get back into your hands one way or another.

Paul
    Participant

Thanks guys. Yeah,its just stuff. I posted more as a warning to others: dont store anything valuable near your geyser!
    One nice side effect: a lot of the water went out through the overflow pipe, which topped up the pool (we have water restrictions at the moment and may not fill the pool under threat of a hefty fine), so at least all the water didnt go to waste!

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Well, who knows where a geyser will irrupt next? A poet once sang, “The future is uncertain and the end is always near,” so have that beer for breakfast while you can. Good news about your pool, though. Sometimes when you step in something it turns out to be chocolate on your shoe.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.