Home Forums Air and Sea Air DIY AAM Markers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I made these in about twenty minutes this morning…cheap, easy and they look OK.

There’s a ‘how to’ on the blog:

http://jimswargamesworkbench.blogspot.com/2018/10/diy-missile-markers.html

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Jim Jackaman.
    Paul
    Participant

That is so cool. Simple and effective.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

willz
    Participant

Excellent use of pipe cleaners, well done.

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Juts looked on the Fights On! website.

Five of these would put you back $3.50!

I reckon it cost me about 10p for each one, even with the spray paint and super glue, and about five minutes each (give or take a bit of drying time)

Not bad?

JozisTinMan
    Participant

Very nice!  Thank you for sharing.

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Looks really good.  I had bought some from FO! at a Con to use in a game that day, and some cheeky monkey swiped them while I was putting the game away!  Never got around to making my own, but seeing how easy it is and how goof they look I just might have to now!

Are you going to use grey/black painted pipe cleaners for damage trailing smoke/markers?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Steelonsand
    Participant

Those look so cool – and as you say, a lot cheaper to make than to buy – although your painting talent is showing with the shading effect of the orangey ‘burn’ of the missile – might be difficult for some of us (well, me )to achieve…… 

You mentioned magnets in your description, are those magnets used already in the base mounting of the a/c, or did you fix them especially under the wings? (As hardpoints, etc)

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I’ve actually made some ‘on fire’ markers before for 1/72nd scale WW1 aerial games, using larger bristly pipe cleaners and spray paints. I might have a go in 1/600 now you’ve given me the idea 😆

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Jim Jackaman.
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

The magnets are on the aircraft so that they attach to the panel pins that I use for stands. The missile pipe cleaner sticks onto that, although I may strip back a short length so that the wire is exposed and the marker attaches with more oomph?

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

In larger scales I guess you could do what you suggested and have little magnets under the wings. It would work well in 1/144th for example?

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Nice idea by the way. I can see that being used by my AK47 ground attack choppers!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Jim Jackaman.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.