Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Dmitrii Donskoi found

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Sources are claiming South Korean divers have located the wreck of the Dmitrii Donskoi, sunk in the Russo-Japanese war. Nice you think. then comes the kicker. ‘allegedly’ it was carrying the funds for the whole naval war. In gold Bullion. And it’s ‘estimated’ to be worth 100 Billion (yes with a B) GBP.

Question 1 – are they KIDDING? Who did that Maths? and Question 2 – How come I never heard of this before?

Anyone got any idea what the Russian Empire’s likely total Gold Reserves were in 1905?

Pat

Participant

The gold price has risen a bit since early 20th C.  It’s risen 40 times in the last 45 years.

Participant

Yes, I know…. but that’s 20 tons of gold. Just what were they expecting to spend that on in the Yellow Sea?

It seems a bit of a ‘Sailor’s Yarn’ to me

Participant

Interesting. The US Supreme court just held that a wreck off the Florida coast, believed to be one of Jean Ribault’s galleons from 1565, belongs to the French government and not to the salvage company that found it, because it is a naval wreck. I wonder how this question will be resolved between the Russian government and the South Korean divers? 20 tons of gold bullion…

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Participant

They claim to have a deal in place – 50% russians, 40% themselves, 10% to Charity/worthy causes in Korea.

Pat

Participant

Now that IS very interesting.  I am honestly shocked that Russia is only getting 50%, I would have thought they’d want much more.  It’ll be interesting to see if any of the areas that were under the Czar’s umbrella at that time pipe up wanting “tax returns”!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Surely, the Czar’s creditors will have something to say.  They haven’t received a payment sice the revolution.  Now, where can I lay me hands on some Imperial Russian bonds?

Participant

I’m in the skeptical “anything of note, much less 20 tons of gold” is there camp.

She was scuttled post-Tsushima when she could not make it to Vladivostok. Granted the Russian Government including the entire defense establishment was less than brilliant in 1905 but choosing to send a slow, weak semi-protected cruiser as a part of the Baltic Fleet with 20 tons of gold would seem to lack both purpose and a basic grasp of linking the correct asset with the mission.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

You would normally not put that sort of load on a line of battle ship.  A second line ship makes more sense.

We’ll wait and see.  But as the successor state to the state which repudiated Imperial Russia’s debts, the Russian Federation should beware of claimants.

Participant

seem to lack both purpose and a basic grasp of linking the correct asset with the mission.

I have to say nothing would startle me about Tsarist Russian ineptitude on that score. It’s just the amount that seems frankly unlikely.

‘Well Mister President… we hoped to find 20 tons of solid goooold, and a mermaid. Sadly, what we actually found was 300 empty vodka bottles and some kid claiming to be called Anastasia. So, 50-50 still? Why yes, I WOULD like a drink …. <<<<< AAAACK>>>>> (thud)

Participant

Just to stretch credulity a ‘little’ further – you missed a zero off the end – it is supposedly 200 tons of gold! (which at c$130bn is still overvalued by  a factor of about 10 at today’s rates).

How they fitted that on a 6,200 ton cruiser would seem -problematic?

As for disputes about ownership – beware Russians bearing perfume bottles.

Participant

Or tea.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.