Home Forums General General Do I Really want to Pay More For Wargames Figures?

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I hadn’t actually noticed much stress.

I thought we were having a chat over a pint about an idea.

Participant

I hadn’t actually noticed much stress. I thought we were having a chat over a pint about an idea.

Me too. 🙂

It’s been fascinating to see what criteria motivate people and to see the diversity of thoughts and opinions.

I think it’s a testament to the ethos of the forum that such a diverse set of opinions could be delivered with passion and civility both!

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

When I started if you want to play ACW you had to modify Airfix Napoleonics. .

Airfix ACW preceded Airfix Napoleonics. They weren’t very good, but neither were the Napoleonics 🙂

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

I hadn’t actually noticed much stress. I thought we were having a chat over a pint about an idea.

Are you looking at my beer? Did you spill my missus? Do you want some? Do ya?

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

I hadn’t actually noticed much stress.

I thought we were having a chat over a pint about an idea.

if that’s the case, why am I so thirsty?

I thought this was all being done very calmly. Carry on people.

Participant

Mega Army And Unit Packs

Looks like at least one manufacturer has been following with interest – these 15mm figures seem to now be actively priced at “cheaper than those new plastc ones” !

You can:
    - see more of this rubbish at www.madaxeman.com
    - Listen to the Madaxeman Podcast on any Podcast platform
    - Follow Madaxeman on Twitter @Madaxeman

Participant

Mega Army And Unit Packs

Looks like at least one manufacturer has been following with interest – these 15mm figures seem to now be actively priced at “cheaper than those new plastc ones” !

I indeed listened to the original podcast. But it took plastic figures to go up in price since then for it to become viable for me to offers packs at matching prices – other manufacturers’ 15mm offerings are now cheaper compared with some packs of plastics, mainly the booster units of 32 infantry/16 cavalry.

The actual value of metal in a 15mm foot figure is tiny, even in pewter, so making the things in plastic has a marginal benefit in terms of materials cost (the maths is more attractive for plastic mounted figures, but none the less I’d guess that two-thirds of the material costs of plastic figures must go into the sprues; metal sprues are just recycled when casting): the main factors remain the cost of living, royalties if appropriate, and being able to offer margins that will satisfy agents or retailers. Only sell direct and you can offer better prices: have retailers or agents, and you have to make a living after offering 40% discount.

Ian
    Fighting 15s
    www.fighting15s.com

Participant

I wish you well in this approach Ian.

Will you be extending it to your Sikh War range?  I’d imagine that would prove popular.  I’d suggest 8 figures or multiples thereof in cavalry packs and 16 figures for infantry.  Artillery could be two guns and crews.

I was impressed at Helion Publishing’s move to direct sales that seems to have worked for them.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

I’ll certainly be rolling the packs out to other parts of the range, but it takes time to put them together on the website because I’m trying to get them to suit newer rules systems better than the existing army packs. I’m also aiming to back them up with castings from new moulds, and making those takes time. I’m currently redoing key moulds for the Marlburians, if that provides any hint about what may happen next. 🙂

However, all packs will remain about the same in content: around 128 pieces for starter armies, and 32 infantry or 16 cavalry booster packs. Greater refinement in tailoring units and armies comes from the existing standard packs.

There isn’t much benefit for me in discounting for what are only double standard packs, that’s why the new packs start discounting for what are in effect quadruple packs. If I do shows again, there’s a physical limit to what can be handed over in a day using standard packs. If if go via marketplaces such as eBay to reach the EU to better cope with VAT collection fees, I have more fixed costs per item to consider and smaller value items aren’t viable.

Ian
    Fighting 15s
    www.fighting15s.com

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.