Home Forums General General Do you have armies for "the big 3" ?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by James Manto James Manto 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

A while ago at a convention, I talked to a miniatures producer and the guy said something to the effect of “If you want to do well, make Imperial Romans, Napoleonic French and WW2 Germans, then use those sales to fund the weird little miniatures range you want to make”.

So with that in mind, which of those three do you have as miniatures armies?

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

(Late) Imperial Romans 6mm

Napoleonic French 6mm

WW2 Germans, 1/300, 1/200, 15mm

(And a lot of other things as well )

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

I forgot to answer the question myself. How rude.

I have 15mm and 1/72 WW2 Germans and I have a bunch of 2mm blocks that will become French eventually.
    I do like playing the French in Napoleonic board games though and since my wife hates Napoleon, I usually get to play them either way.

I don’t do ancients gaming, but if I did, I’d probably do Carthage or some barbarian hooligans 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

Speaking in terms of periods rather than specific armies, ought it not be “the big 4” including ACW? Or is ACW considerably less ubiquitous than the EIR wars, Nappies and WW2?

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

I’d wager ACW is probably as popular as Napoleonics (or very close at least),though I guess the difference is for ACW, you only really have two choices.
    For the other periods, you have more but since everyone fights the “big one” (Romans/French/Germans) it makes sense they’d sell well.

Nordic Weasel Games

Not Connard Sage
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I have a DBA EIR army. multitudes of Napoleonic French in different 6/15/25/28mm. I sold my WWII Germans years ago.

Speaking in terms of periods rather than specific armies, ought it not be “the big 4” including ACW? Or is ACW considerably less ubiquitous than the EIR wars, Nappies and WW2?

I imagine ACW is much less ubiquitous outside America.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Cameronian
    Cameronian
    Participant

1/72 Rupublican Romans

15mm and 28mm Napoleonic French

WW2 Germans; 10mm for 1940 and 1/72 DAK

'The time has come, the walrus said...'

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Imperial Romans and WW2 Germans in 15 mm   I don’t do Nappys.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I imagine ACW is much less ubiquitous outside America.

I dunno. I have the impression that quite a few people play it in the UK. Also, the first metal miniatures I owned as a child growing up in Sweden (when I bought some second-hand because I gravitated to them for some reason I can’t explain) were a job lot of old 25mm fantasy and 10mm or 15mm ACW (proper lead figures that had been painted in enamels and seen a lot of use). There was nothing out-of-place about the ACW figures to me at the time, they seemed to me like precisely the kind of thing that old wargamers would play with, regardless of the fact that I was in northern Europe and not the USA.

I suppose they might have receded in popularity outside of the US now that the market caters for many more periods and conflicts than it used to.

Anyway, I’m derailing the thread. I’ll stop.

Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

German WW2 in 6mm and 20mm. I have none of the others. But I am only 31, so who knows what the future will hold.

Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Ancients: I don’t play, but if I did I would go for an Indian army.

Napoleonics: I don’t play, but if I did I would go for skirmish gaming with a British Naval landing party.

WW2: I currently play Bolt Action with 28mm Japanese and am working on Chindits, after which I plan to do a platoon of Kings African Rifles. I actually do have a company of 1/72 wehrmacht, but they havent seen a battlefield in a decade at least.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

One for three, I have WWII Germans in 6mm and 15mm.

JozisTinMan
    JozisTinMan
    Participant

Well, let’s see…  WW2 Germans I have owned in 15mm and 28mm, sold off both collections years ago.  My first wargame army was a 15mm DBA Marian Roman pack from Essex.  And I own 6mm French.

It makes sense, any army that spent a lot of time invading its neighbors should be popular.  I don’t know about the rest of you, but I usually paint up both sides for any period I am interested in.

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

It makes sense, any army that spent a lot of time invading its neighbors should be popular. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I usually paint up both sides for any period I am interested in.

It does make sense. The other reason to latch on to one or more of the three is that they *are* popular. Complete ranges of figures in every scale. A number of bespoke rules. Any specific terrain items easily obtained.

It’s sometimes fun to pick an obscure period such as Pancho Villa & Black Jack Pershing but it can also be frustrating.

Early (Polybian) & Late Romans. Check!

WW2 Naz….sorry, Germans. Check!

1812-1815 French. Check!

donald

Whirlwind
    Whirlwind
    Participant

I have definitely got two out of three.  The third depends upon whether we are counting Late Republican Romans (“Marian Roman”) as close enough…

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

norm smith
    norm smith
    Participant

I would gauge Roman / Napoleonic French and German WWII as being the big three, from the perspective of being expansionist armies that dominated a ‘world’.

No Romans (yet), have had them in 6mm and 2mm many moons ago and was stupid enough to sell off my 6mm Roman / Carthaginian forces

Nap French part built in 28mm, has previously been part built in both 6mm and 15mm.

WWII German currently significant forces in 10mm, some in 20mm, previously had both 6mm and 15mm.

My main partner forces have been Carthage v Rome, Austrian v French and Soviet v WWII German.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by norm smith norm smith.

http://commanders.simdif.com

Etranger
    Participant

The only ancient figures I have were used as proxies for Runequest and similar such games. there are probably a few Romans amongst them, although mostly Greeks IIRC.

I have a handful of Napoleonic French, although more properly they are French revolutionary war figures, before the Corsican Dwarf’s rise to prominence.

Zhee Germans, I have plenty of those…

McKinstry
    Participant

I have 6mm French (and Bavarians, Poles, Austrians, Russians, Prussians and Brits), 6mm Late Imperial Romans (and Sassanids), and 3mm WW2 German DAK (and Italians and Brits).

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

20mm Romans in many flavours from early Republican totearly Imperial.

6mm Napoleonic French.

WW2 Germans in 6mm, 15mm, 20mm and 54mm. Many variations on front, period and arm of service.

All these have appropriate opponents. I gave up just buying one side long ago, based on bitter experience.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Etranger
    Participant

I know that feeling Martin. I’m lucky in that the host of our group has multiple opposing armies (navies/airforces etc) for just about any period we play. He isn’t into ancients through to the the renaissance much though so the earliest period we fight is 18th century. I try to at least have token forces for both sides for most of our games though, even if that’s only a handful of vehicles to bulk up forces for BKC.

warwell
    Participant

Many years ago I had 2 of 3 (Romans and WW2 Germans) but I sold them off years ago. I was never into Napoleonics, preferring 18th century instead. Now I am into fantasy, sci fi, and 18th century style imagi-nations.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

None now, but a few years ago I did have 6mm French Napoleonic models.

Shaun Travers
    Shaun Travers
    Participant

i have WW2 Germans (in 6mm and 20mm) and the 20mm started being acquired soon after I started WW2 with British.  I like to have both sides.  For Romans, my first army was Ptolemaic and then 10 years later I got my next one – really late imperial (or patrician roman in the WRG lists) (425ish AD) that I bought off a friend.  I did expand this to late imperial (300AD+) later on.  But I did not get a “proper’ imperial (with the rectangular shield), or Marian until about 4 years ago (or 30 years from first playing Ancients).

I do not play Napoleonics so do not have an army I can field for them.  On my list to do in the next 10 years is to maybe get a few 6mm French and British and finally give it a go.

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Two out of three ain’t bad? (2mm French Napoleonics; WWII Germans in 6mm and some 20mm; zero interest in ancients.)

I suppose you could also paraphrase the OP to cover rules rather than figures: “If you want to do well, [publish or buy] a core ruleset that works for Imperial Romans, Napoleonic French and WW2 Germans, then adapt those rules to work for the weird little miniatures range you want to play with”.

I have sort of done it backwards with BBB, designing it originally for the minority interest late C19 (Franco-Prussian, Russo-Turkish etc), only to find it being adopted/adapted by people for Napoleonics, WWII, even ancients (or bush wars or ECW or SF skirmish … ).

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Etranger
    Participant

Two out of three ain’t bad? (2mm French Napoleonics; WWII Germans in 6mm and some 20mm; zero interest in ancients.)

Napoleonics? I’ll do anything for love but I won’t do that….

Tony Hughes
    Participant

I have 2mm generic ancients which do include Romans. I have French & Austrians in 2mm as well and 1940 Germans in 3mm (but still in progress).

Mike Headden
    Mike Headden
    Participant

WW2 Germans in 3mm, 6mm, 10mm, 15mm, 20mm and 28mm

Napoleonic French in 6mm, 10mm, 15mm

EIR Romans in 6mm and Late Romans in 6mm and 10mm

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

willz
    willz
    Participant

I have loads 20mm WW2 Germans, sold on my 25/28mm Napoleonic’s, never got around to doing Roman’s.  Would like to do 20mm Imperial Roman / Carthaginians armies also would like to do Napoleonic’s in 20mm both projects will have to wait until I finish all the other’s.

Olaf Meys
    Olaf Meys
    Participant

I have assorted EIR, Dark Ages/Early Medieval, 80YW, 1910-1950, a smattering of Sci-Fi and a few Fantasy figures. I refuse to touch Nappies, and am VERY reluctant to get Lace Wars.

Needless to say, they are all only in 28mm.

http://mainly28s.com
    wargames review site...

Mr. Average
    Participant

Well, 99% of my interest is in sci fi, so my Big Three are the English-Speaking Union, the Russian Confederation and the Federal Republic of Hellas Planitia.

I would like to do a 3mm scale Roman Civil Wars setup at some point, and I admit that GHQ’s Wehrmacht 47 Line is very tempting to me. Napoleonics leave me cold though. So two out of three ain’t bad.

Abwehrschlacht
    Abwehrschlacht
    Participant

No Romans, but 6mm French Napoleonics and 15mm and 3mm Germans. But I also have the opposing sides to fight against them as well.

http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

15mm Romans and 20mm Late Romans

3mm and 6mm WWII Germans

3mm, 6mm, and 20mm Napoleonics

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

I have:

Airfix WW2 Germans (first and second issue)

Airfix Romans

No Napoleonics

Sane Max
    Sane Max
    Participant

I don’t have Imperial Romans – closest I have are Marian. I do have a technically Imperial Roman Army – Byzantines, but I am sure that’s not the ones ‘they’ mean – ‘they’ mean Banded Mail. When you look at the battles the EIR Fought, they were mostly against Barbarians and that gets a little tedious.

I have never owned a Napoleonic Figure! I suspect I am missing out, but don’t think I have enough room in my brain to cope with the info I would need to do the period justice.*

WW2 Germans I do have, in 15mm. Late and Early War now I think about it.

I would agree with the suggestion that maybe ACW should be one of a ‘Big Four’. It’s very popular in the UK, I have both sides.

Pat

Homer: Every time I learn something new, a little of the old gets pushed out of my brain. Remember that time I took that wine making course and forgot how to drive?

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

Another with no Romans, but I have a large number of 15mm Late Byzantines that I meant to make an army with some 30+ years ago.  They are still sat untouched in their little sorting trays.  WWII Germans I have in abundance in 20mm, both early & late, but no DAK.  I have a much smaller number in 28mm for skirmishing.  Finally I have no Napoleonic French but I’ve collected Russians in 15 & 6mm.  Very smart uniforms and you’ve got to love the size of those artillery batteries.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Sane Max
    Sane Max
    Participant

I don’t have Imperial Romans

Hahaha actually I just remembered, I do…… Egad, I am too young for this level of brain-fade. I must stop drinking

Northern Monkey
    Northern Monkey
    Participant

I have WW2 Germans in 6mm and 15mm. As for Napoleonic French, only a Naval fleet, no land forces, so I suppose that counts, and for Romans I did have a 28mm army but now sold on, though I do have Command & Colors which has Roman blocks if that counts?

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

James Manto
    James Manto
    Participant

No French Napoleonics

1x unit of  Warlird 28mm Imperial Roman Auxiliaries and some scorpions. But I sold the rest.

4x platoons of 15mm WW2 Germans with enough armour to support them from 1939 to 45.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.