Home Forums General General Do You Keep A Painting Log?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by A Lot of Gaul A Lot of Gaul 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Back in 2001, as a result of trying to keep up with the interests of my gaming group, I had aquired a significant heap on unpainted figs.  Unfortunately, only a couple of us were really working on the figs with any consistency, and I had a lot of stuff that was outside my main areas of interest.  Eventually, I ended up thinning out those “secondary” projects and periods, and I would step away from the group in time, but the first step to gain control over the proliferation of figs, was to impose a restriction on myself.  I could only buy a fig for every two that I painted.  So until 2005, I mostly kept a running tally of how many figs I could buy at any time, with a few notes about big accomplishments or purchases.

For the most part it worked out.  By 2004, I had painted a lot of the unpainted stuff, and sold off a lot as well.  During that year, I strayed from the 2 for 1 thing a bit, but still painted more than I bought.

In 2005, a TMP member started the “Pledge” over there, and coincidentally, I had just started keeping a more detailed painting log a couple of months prior, not just tracking the “plus or minus”, but actually listing everything that was painted or purchased.  I found that the log helped me focus, and  frequently offers some inspiration, when my mojo was down.  I’ve also have found that observing my trends over the years can be of interest from time to time.

This month wraps up 14 years of keeping that log.  Surprisingly, I’ve only painted a little over 8600 figs in that time, with almost half of them done in the first three years of keeping the log.

So, just curious, aside from possibly participating in the TMP Pledge, do you keep a painting log, and and what purpose does it serve?

Not Connard Sage
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

No.

🙂

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Just Jack
    Participant

Yes, via my ‘Blackhawkhet’ blog.  It started life as my only blog, holding all my battle reports and cataloging everything I’ve painted, but over the past several years I’ve transitioned almost all the gaming stuff to one of my other four blogs, and Blackhawkhet is solely a repository of what I’ve painted.

I do it for three reasons:

1) In an era where there’s still a lot of stuff being sold without good pictures of it on the internet, I like to post closeups so that other gamers can Google they’re prospective purchases before they buy.

2) For the comraderie, the sense of sharing and the conversations it sparks with other war gamers when I post something.

3) To document my accomplishments, serve as a historical record (to show how my painting and terrain used to be really bad, and now it’s… less bad), which serves to motivate me to get more done.

V/R,

Jack

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Not as such.

I sometimes note colour mixes and basing techniques for attempted future consistency of appearance.

I have a sort of log book for this, rules and scenario ideas, and  a rough inventory of what I have and where it is – started as for 20 years or so I moved around a lot with work and had stuff with friends, at my parents, in store and occasionally with me. It isn’t complete – I still open boxes in the attic and find things from 40 years ago I had forgotten all about.

Some of my basing notes are less than helpful – ‘the autumn scatter from Bayley’s Toy Shop’ ceased being an aid to purchasing c25 years ago when they closed.

Geof Downton
    Geof Downton
    Participant

Not a formal log, but I photograph stuff I’ve painted/built when it’s done. Not sure why, habit mostly, but it may end up here.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Private Snafu
    Private Snafu
    Participant

Mine is the recipe book for the painting schemes, not the figure inventory or competition record.

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

I don’t keep a painting log.  That’s what memory is for.  I know what things I’ve painted.  They are in the boxes of things that have been painted.  I know what things remain to be painted.  They are in the …. you get the picture. 🙂

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

No but I do keep of record in a little notebook of how I’ve painted things including all the stages and the paint shades, so that I can replicate the same end result if I need to. Its also a good way to work out and remember things that go wrong so that you don’t make the same mistake twice.

Mike Headden
    Mike Headden
    Participant

I’ve long since realised that I barely count as a painter and gamer but am much more a collector of figures for projects I will likely never start let alone complete!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Oh no....
    Oh no….
    Participant

Not of what I’ve done.

But I do list the colours for each unit/vehicle etc. That way I can match the same paint when I add to it years later…..

McKinstry
    Participant

No but I put a 3×5 card with certain figures noting what paints and mixes were used. Going back after a year or two proved to be a real challenge when I realized I’d forgotten what paints I’d used and had to resort to trial and error.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

A Lot of Gaul
    A Lot of Gaul
    Participant

No. The number and range of figures I have are small enough that I have no trouble remembering how I painted them.

Also, I don’t do ‘pledges.’

"Experience is the teacher of all things."
    ~ Gaius Julius Caesar

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.