Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    malc johnston
    Participant

Dodge City

For over 20 years after the Civil War, cowboys coaxed herds of cattle along arduous trails from the Texas grasslands north to the railheads in Kansas. At the end of the trail lay the infamous cow towns, the “Sodoms of the plains”, places such as Abilene, Hays City, Wichita, Ellsworth and Dodge City. After following a slow moving herd of cattle along a dusty trail for as many as three months, these towns offered the cowboy a place to take a bath, gamble, find a woman, eat some good food and let off some steam. The towns accommodated their visitors with a liberal attitude towards their boisterous behavior. There were limits, however, and the towns hired enforcers to maintain a semblance of law and order. Law officers such as Wyatt Earp, Wild Bill Hickok, Luke Short and Bat Masterson became legends.

The prosperity of these towns continued only as long as the railroad provided a railhead. As the railroad moved farther west the towns fizzled while another took its place. Some, like Newton, Kansas, lasted only one season. Dodge City lasted much longer, but when the railroads pushed their tracks into Texas and closer to the grazing land, Dodge’s days as a cattle town ended.

[/url]
    image sharing sites[/url]

[/url]
    images hosting[/url]

[/url]
    imgurl[/url]

[/url]
    free image hosting[/url]

The Victorian Outpost is a new building created at the beginning of 2016, we can cater for almost any period and we now have the support of “Adrians Walls” and “Hovels Buildings” who have come on board.

Victorian Outpost has quickly become the number one wargaming place in Grimsby with its friendly welcome and fun place to visit, please pm myself to arrange a set time and date.

More photos on the website at http://www.victorian-steel.com/
    Thanks Malc

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

Rhoderic
    Participant

That’s really, really nice. Your venue’s offerings continue to impress.

It seems to me that one practical advantage of Old West gaming is that one can make the main street of a town really broad, as in your last photo – I presume the two largely-empty tiles in the center are 2 x 2 feet. That allows for a large town to be represented over a large area without terribly many buildings.

On another note, I notice this has been posted under “General Horse and Musket” and there actually doesn’t seem to be any more appropriate board for posting late 19th century content. Maybe the “Horse and Musket” section of the TWW forums should be renamed “Horse, Musket and Rifle” or something such. Either that, or a new board for the post-musket era might be in order, but I for one am generally rather apprehensive about the prospect of a proliferation of boards. Just a thought.

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

On another note, I notice this has been posted under “General Horse and Musket” and there actually doesn’t seem to be any more appropriate board for posting late 19th century content. Maybe the “Horse and Musket” section of the TWW forums should be renamed “Horse, Musket and Rifle” or something such. Either that, or a new board for the post-musket era might be in order, but I for one am generally rather apprehensive about the prospect of a proliferation of boards. Just a thought.

It does seem strange having Wild West or Colonials under Horse and Musket.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It does seem strange having Wild West or Colonials under Horse and Musket.

😁

My “colonial” games are 1680 to 1770s – Spanish in North America –  so it doesn’t bother me.

But I do understand that “other” websites break out 19th Century from 18th Century or specific wars but I don’t think there are so many posts on the forums/sub forums here to necessitate that here at present.

malc johnston
    Participant

Thanks guys and yep 2ft boards

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.