Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Does ESR "look Napoleonic"?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The question everyone asks about a Napoleonic rule set is “does it *look* right?”

You tell us, here are some photos from ESR games using scenarios from Master of the World, 1812 in Russia.

You can find out more about ESR on our website.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Participant

To be honest I think the only thing that makes this (or any other wargame) look Napoleonic is the fact that you are using Napoleonic troops. Unless you are using tanks pretty much all wargames look the same. With my eyesight the third picture down could be Romans v Carthaginians.

Probably the only things that visually say ‘Napoleonic’ to me are squares and skirmish lines.

Participant

I’d say no, it doesn’t look very Napoleonic at all.

Not sure what it looks like – there are no clear battle lines and the troops are all in deep formations.

I’d expect to see pretty continuous long thin lines of troops with skirmishers out front and some troops in columns in reserve.

I think what the OP was really asking was a for a comment on his rules.

Being in the market for a new set of Napoleonic rules I looked into these & they seem to fit my needs & prejudices.
    I haven’t progressed beyond this stage, being busy with other projects.

The big hurdle will be, if I buy a set & I like them, is to convince my pals to climb on board & buy sets too.

donald

Participant

The rules may well be excellent, I don’t know. I was answering the question asked, rather than the subtext.

I’m quite happy with the Napoleonic rules I already use (Lasalle or Shako for games with battalion-sized units, Blucher for larger games with brigades as units), so not searching for a new set.

Participant

Yes, reasonably Napoleonic (and very nice looking).  Much more Napoleonic than the huge solid masses one sometimes sees. Double-ranked troops will always make the “look” a bit too solid though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.