Home Forums Air and Sea Air Downtown Terrain Boards

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    CAG 19
    Participant

I have finally started work on the 20 or so terrain boards that I had custom cut for my Downtown project by the nice people at Pendraken.  This will use them in  four columns (long edges) x 5 row (Short edge) configuration. Very early shots in the process but I have set myself a challenge of doing something gaming related every day that will hopefully make an inroad into this.  I think the end result will be about 7′ x 5′ if they are all used but I was looking for way to be able to “roll” the map to the actual scenario being played.  Means I can fly the CSAR mission using a 4′ x 3′ area and still get Phuc Yen and Hanoi into the game (SAM placements).

Far Northwest Corner

Western Edge Middle

Southwestern Corner

Blog as usual

A bit of background if you haven’t seen this stuff anywhere before now

• This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by CAG 19.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by CAG 19.
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

CAG 19:

That will look really good when your done but man that looks like a great deal of work! I salute your devotion to the hobby! Good luck and God’s speed on your project! I look forward to seeing the terrain hexes in future reports from you.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson

Norm S
    Participant

What a great idea.

CAG 19
    Participant

Thanks for the comments. I am effectively shelving four years of work from the earlier project.  I think I can get these going really quickly as it is only the broken ground that I was needing to work on to start with.  The rest of the markings will be painted onto the board. The old method used individual 2″ hexes and a hand painted Hotz Mat which was laborious. Having the hex board means I don’t need to work on a base cloth and terrain pieces.  Will also mean that I can work up boards adding detail as I play a scenario or two rather than trying to everything in one go. Plus the aircraft are all done,

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by CAG 19.

I remember your Hotz mat and thought it quite nice, but these are slicker than a greased baby seal.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Just Jack
    Participant

Can I come over to play?

Those boards are simply fantastic, and you’re aircraft are without equal.

I wish I had the talent and patience…

V/R,
    Jack

CAG 19
    Participant

Quick update on the boards. I have run out of sand to finish the last of the Northern boards so cracked on and added the base coat to the southern boards.

Leave these to dry overnight and then give them a second coat. Will also get the first of the sea boards added to the far right hand row of boards. Then it will be onto adding the roads and rail by hand. This is so much easier than painting a felt mat.  Already itching to get a strike mission going

More info on the blog

Do you think Pendraken will cut those boards for other people? If so, how much would they cost?

CAG 19
    Participant

Part of their custom cutting service. I asked on their forum about options and costs and a couple of others were interested.  They have also cut my nightfighter boards as well. MDF is a good option for gaming surfaces needing hexes.  It wasn’t cheap for 20 boards each of which is 15 hexes x 8 hexes.

How big are the boards in centimeters, if you don’t mind me asking?

shelldrake
    Participant

Those boards are fantastic, and as Thaddeus says, it would be fantastic if there were available for others to buy too

CAG 19
    Participant

the boards themselves are 59cm long by 28cm wide. We tried different orientations against the maximum cut size he could do. A bit if wastage due to needing to keep an even number of columns to make them fit together properly.  They are available to buy from Pendraken. As they were a custom job they kept the set up files. You just need to email Leon and ask him how much. Postage would be a killer though I would imagine. I arranged to collect mine from a UK show.  I am about to ask him to cut me another set to do the Thanh Hoa area

CAG 19
    Participant

Monday morning SITREP. Base coats completed. As I still haven’t got any sand I have just painted the rough ground in dark green paint which will be used as a marker when I get around to adding the texture. Good enough to game on. Now need to add the second coats and then the road network and finally the target hexes and airfields

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.