Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Dry Villages

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks

A what now?

I am currently embarking on a 15mm fantasy thing and it is set in dry dry land.
    Kind of like Persia/Middle East style dry.

Adobe buildings, mud huts, all that typical dry fantasy stuff.
    I am starting to get the buildings together but am wondering what a typical village layout would be, would there be a central plaza, well, wattle fences, animal pens, do the buildings have external paint on them…

Hit me up with any inspirational images that you have and Crom will smile on you.

shelldrake
    Participant

This is for starters:

Alan Millicheap
    Participant

The topic heading brought back memories of Walking Holidays in North Wales. Impossible to get a pint on a Sunday.

shelldrake
    Participant

shelldrake
    Participant

This last one I used google maps in satellite view to see the general lay out of some place in Africa.

Rhoderic
    Participant

On the subject of exterior paint, I have the impression that in the modern day, primitive rural desert dwellings in the Middle East are rarely if ever painted on the outside, much less decoratively so, but there’s more of an established tradition for it in the desert regions of India. The following are all from Rajasthan except the last one which is from Gujarat, I think.

There are also painted huts in many African cultures, but I’m not sure which cultures exactly.

PatG
    Participant

More in the line of a how-to, the good old Major General: http://web.archive.org/web/20051217173749/http://zeitcom.com/majgen/30str.html

Rhoderic
    Participant

More in the line of a how-to, the good old Major General: http://web.archive.org/web/20051217173749/http://zeitcom.com/majgen/30str.html

Blast from the past! I recall that site being very popular back when there still wasn’t an awful lot of terrain-building content on the net. That and TerraGenesis.

Wow, to think it really wasn’t more than roughly 15 years ago that online miniature wargaming content was still in the pioneering stages. There’s been an explosion of content since then.

EDIT: It’s an excellent old-school site, though. I wasn’t being derogatory, if that’s what it read like.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Rhoderic.
    Rhoderic
    Participant

As for wattle fences and pens, I did recommend these in another thread, but if you’re going for some sort of “authentic” likeness of the Middle East then maybe wattle and wattle-and-daub don’t really belong. Outside of Europe, these seem to be common construction materials / methods in large parts of Africa (including the Sahel semidesert), but not in the Middle East as far as I can tell. In the Middle East, Central Asia and the desert regions of India, primitive fences and pens seem typically to be made by other means, like in the second-to-last photo I posted above or the first photo of shelldrake’s last post. Or there are no fences at all, but walls of mud brick.

Personally I’d still go for wattle, because it looks good, is fun to model and my ideal swords-and-sorcery arid setting is more of a “rule-of-cool-oriented” bastardisation of the real Middle East. But that’s just me.

On an unrelated note, dome-shaped clay ovens are another thing that would make your village look more “lived-in”. These could be either “private property” located in the courtyards of separate dwellings, or communal and located centrally in some open space. For reference, here are some 25mm ones from Monolith Designs: LINK. I see they’ve also thought of cooking pits and stone troughs, which are good ideas as well.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

mukuni-village.jpg (1600×1061)

timbuktu.jpg (728×425)

42-28094525-1680x1050.jpg (1680×1050)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.