Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi DSG Sneak Peek!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

As 2016 draws to a close, I thought I’d throw out a bit of a sneak peek of one of the new models that will be released in January 2017:

This is the 15mm version of the <u>Rinkhals</u>, essentially an MLRS for Federation 2nd line forces mounted on the Python/Cobra treaded chassis (which will also come in hover!).  There will also be the <u>Arbalest</u>, the same rocket unit placed on Scorpion wheeled chassis.  As with all of our turrets, it will fit onto any other vehicle that can mount a large turret, even Venturian units!  And there might even be a munitions carrier to go with it…

Having molds made at the moment, so keep an eye on the Darkest Star Games blog, as well as the main page and forums here, for news of the release!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Keymaster

I like it, like the way it has touches of the original metal model carried over.

Participant

I like this.

Participant

I love it!  Looks like it’ll fit in well with my Almost-SF3D set!

Participant

Thanks guys!

So this system works by having the top of each side be essentially a replaceable pre-loaded box magazine.  A munitions vehicle comes up along side and uses a robotic crane arm to pluck the used mags off and pull new ones from the storage bed and pop them on.  Takes about 2 minutes per pod, so pretty quick!

I picture the rocket munitions used as pretty stubby, most types deploying smart-bomblets.  But there is one nasty one that dispenses these huge nets of monofiliment wire that basically shred anything they come in contact with short of an armored vehicle.  Great for destroying cover as well as troops in just about any kind of concealment (plain butchery if they’re in the open).  Nasty business.

Participant

I like that the design is wide and flat – typically, I’ve found that sci fi tank figures tend to stand a little higher than I prefer, for whatever reason.  Maybe because they’re using World War II models as prototypes?  Whatever the case, the trend in “real” tanks is flatter and more heavily sloped, and I like the look of this one!

Participant

Thank you sir!  They were indeed designed with “low profile” in mind (except for the AAA turret, it’s a bit tall).  If you look at our 6mm versions you’ll see how the Cobra and Python turrets are indeed very slim.

Now, in all honesty, these tanks are slightly smaller than an Abrams, which is a heck of a lot bigger than a Sherman or Panther!  I think a lot of the reason WW2 tanks look so tall is the proportions.  We are conditioned to think of tanks as these big massive things to be scared of but I’ve stood next to a Pnz III and it is tiny, you could put 2 end to end and still not be as long as an Abrams, which is also almost twice as tall.  Modern tanks are beasts!

Participant

x

Participant

Update!

I have a set of pre-production masters in my hands.  Just doing a little clean up before painting.  In the pic below you can see (from left to right):

Griffin IFV with hover skirt, Griffin IFV with tracks, turrets for Cobra and Python with guns, top is Cobra/Python hull with tracks, and same with hover skirt.  Below is a pair of the MLRS turrets and a trio of Griffin turrets, and to the far right is a pair of AAA turrets and some tools for stowage.

[/URL]

The caster is producing and I will be painting this weekend, might take me a week or 2 with family commitments, but watch this space, as you’ll see it here first!

Participant

Need any painting volunteers…?

😉

Serioysly great models from my POV! Will suit an SF3D milieu pretty well, maybe with some cables and greeblies added…

Inactive

What is “SF3D” mean, please?

That would be the sci-fi setting/story/aesthetic created by genius model-maker Kow Yokoyama in the 1980s, now rapidly growing in renown and popularity in the West. It also goes by several other names, “Ma.K.” and “Maschinen Krieger” being common. Between the numerous names and the fact that the original Japanese material has only made it to the West through various imperfect, “unofficial” channels, it’s easy to get confused about. But the aesthetic is quite sublime. I’m not sure I agree this particular vehicle is very SF3D in style, but I’m ill-versed in the setting myself. A few of the other 15mm vehicles from Darkest Star (the ones in the Colony 15 range) strike me as extremely SF3D-inspired, though.

I’m not sure I agree this particular vehicle is very SF3D in style, but I’m ill-versed in the setting myself. A few of the other 15mm vehicles from Darkest Star (the ones in the Colony 15 range) strike me as extremely SF3D-inspired, though.

I agree and Darby was extremely kind to let me base my Junker tanks on his very much SF3D styled models:

http://www.darkeststargames.com/colony-15-sci-fi.html

Participant

It’s not as “organic” as some of the designs for sure.  I am using the other ones too though.

Inactive

That would be the sci-fi setting/story/aesthetic created by genius model-maker Kow Yokoyama in the 1980s, now rapidly growing in renown and popularity in the West. It also goes by several other names, “Ma.K.” and “Maschinen Krieger” being common. Between the numerous names and the fact that the original Japanese material has only made it to the West through various imperfect, “unofficial” channels, it’s easy to get confused about. But the aesthetic is quite sublime. I’m not sure I agree this particular vehicle is very SF3D in style, but I’m ill-versed in the setting myself. A few of the other 15mm vehicles from Darkest Star (the ones in the Colony 15 range) strike me as extremely SF3D-inspired, though.

Okay, thanks.  Will try and look this up to understand better.

Okay, thanks. Will try and look this up to understand better.

The official “fluff” might be a bit much for most people (myself included) to take in. I recommend you just spend a couple of minutes browsing image search results for “SF3D”, “Ma.K.” and/or “Maschinen Krieger”, and you’ll get a very good idea of what it’s all about, visually. It’s a heady mix of retro futurism, modern futurism, military realism and sheer mind-boggling bizarreness.

It’s one of the several great sci-fi aesthetics to have come out of Japan in the 1980s. Another one is the equally popular VOTOMS. Oh but I love 1980s Japan 

Participant

I agree and Darby was extremely kind to let me base my Junker tanks on his very much SF3D styled models

And they came out great, I love the Junker tanks!  I need to take some pix of the ones I have painted up as soon as I get my office reorganized.  Seriously Michael, I dig them big time!

I too have loved the SF3D aesthetic since I saw the FIREBALL and PK Gustav kits way back when.  I have a pretty good collection of sanctioned 1/76 resin garage kits as well as a lot of the 1/20 kits.  There are some talented scratch builders out there that do some incredible work.

Participant

Oh, and Mr. Average, I have something in the works that you’ll like in 6mm (if you go that small)

Participant

I do, I do indeed! Can’t wait to see!

Participant

Going to keep me in suspense? What a showman! 😉

Helloooo  Darby…..

Participant

Going to keep me in suspense? What a showman!

Yup, like a turkey, I’m afraid!  The 3d isn’t quite done yet, but I will tell you that it rhymes with Sand Stalker!  (I decided to depart from convention and make the hull symmetrical and the turret centered, as at 6mm it just looked funny doing it O.G.)

Participant

Oh, and DSG releases will be slowing down some (or will be even slower I should say).  I recently won custody of my daughter, and now that she can finally participate in extra-curricular activities she has dove in headfirst, so my free time has compressed quite a bit.  Just FYI!

Participant

I will tell you that it rhymes with Sand Stalker!

I just wet myself a little when I read that.

Participant

Me too!

Participant

Hey all, here’s 2 more sneak peeks!

Triple 40mm AA turret:

Picture

And the laser armed version:

Picture

Though they are shown the python/Cobra chassis they will fit the Scorpion wheeled chassis, as well as any other DSG 15mm vehicle that can mount a large turret (basically everything but the Talin and Griffin!)

New release is due imminently!

Participant

Leave the treads off, even.  Very “Traveller” look.

Participant

Don’t know if that’d look too good, but I am working up both 1st and 2nd generation style grav options for a later release!

Participant

All are now released!

http://www.darkeststargames.com

And there’s a coupon code for a discount in the Sponsoring Members forum to boot!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.