Home Forums Ancients Early Byzantines

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Sane Max Sane Max 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sane Max
    Sane Max
    Participant

Hi

Looking to buy a 15mm Early Byzantine army as ready-to-use opponenents for my Sassanids.

What ranges does everyone here rate? My Sassanids are Lurkio if that helps, but I am open to other suggestions before I splash out.

Pat

• This topic was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Sane Max Sane Max.

OB
    Participant

How big are Lurkio 15mm Pat?  I’m under the impression that they’re smallish, not biggies anyhow on the Essex scale.  A lot depends on the answer to that.

Khurasan are very good and you can get everything you need.  You have to import with everything that goes with that.

OG 15mm have a very good pack of mailed Roman Horse Archers.  Compatible with Essex in size.

If you are having Huns and Gothic Federates the old Gladiator range is very nice.

Give us a clue as to what sort of army you want.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Sane Max
    Sane Max
    Participant

Hiya

Lurkio are on the small side, although really pretty. I was thinking of their stuff but the range is quite small.

I would Buy Khurasan if I had to, although I have issues with giving money to their owner…. but I am weak, and may well succumb. As you say, their range is very wide indeed.

Any other ideas? Size is not a huge problem, they will be on opposite sides after all 🙂

OB
    Participant

That helps.

For your actual Romans:

The aforesaid OG mailed horse archers do the job very nicely for your rank and file trooper.  Lots of variation and they paint up a treat.

For the elite biscuit eaters remember you can mix and match, lots of armour, lance and bow on an unarmoured horse.  Mine are a mix of Romans and armoured Huns and Persians.  Donnington have some Roman nice officers and a load of variant troopers, but I don’t feel the love for the latter.  Essex have good armoured Roman, Persians and Sarmatians with lance and bow that would mix nicely enough if you ask for unarmoured horses.   A lot of it is down to your taste in figures, shop about.

Skutatoi

We are really looking at late Roman legionaries here-no long spears yet.  Donnington do a front ranker in full length mail, workmanlike you might say.  No one else does one.  I’d look at the OG Arthurian British Heavy infantry or maybe the late Romans/Byzantine Belisarian.  Essex has one with shield held side on, shame as it’s a nice figure.  The 15mm Co are certainly worth a look, three poses, spears held at different angles, big shields for nice paint jobs.  A little late though.  I need some of these myself and haven’t made my mind up.

Psiloi

Anything in tunic and trousers with bow and arrows. I like a cap too.

Allied units

Goths-Donnington have a great range, really great loads of variety.

Persians-Donnington and QRF are both worth a look.

Huns, Josef Ochmann sculpts now at Fighting 15s.

Hope that’s of use.

OB

mark leslie
    Participant

Miniature Wars 15mm Byzantines from STRATEGIA NOVA.

http://www.strategianova.it/soldatini-e-resine/miniature-wars-15-mm/bizantini/cavallaroi-con-arco

Never bought from them nor do I have any of these figures, but are at the top of my list whenever I consider reconquest of the West.

telzy amber
    telzy amber
    Participant

I like Miniature Wars 15mm Early Byzantines. I find the infantry a bit boring but then Belisarius’ infantry were not the best. I also like their Sassanids, quite nice. The Goths are nice too.

Legio Heroica http://www.legio-heroica.com/index-en.html make excellent Sassanids, Goths, Huns and Late Romans

Old Glory 15s do the very nice mailed mounted archers mentioned above, good Belisarian Legios, the Late Roman list have new, correctly armoured, legionaries. A new set of Goths and dismounted Gothic cavalry.

All 3 of these match up well in size along with the Khurasan.

Sane Max
    Sane Max
    Participant

Well, I went with Khurasan. They should be shipped in a couple of weeks, and I have made a firm resolution to paint them slowly – one or two units a week should see me done by Christmas.

Hope the figures are as nice as they look on the website. I hate it when they are not!

OB
    Participant

Mostly with Khurasan what you see is what you get.  He does employ first rate painters mind.  Speaking of which do stick a few pics up here as you go.

OB

Sane Max
    Sane Max
    Participant

Yup, will make a point of that. I have heard before that his paint-ups on his site were excellent, which worried me rather. I have only 1 standard of painting normally – ‘get them on the table’ with the end result very much good enough but hardly great. But I am trying to break a 18 month painting hiatus, and thought this purchase might get me back on the horse, and will make a conscious effort to at least make them bearable to look at. That will take some discipline, but I had already thought I would share them as I painted them, in part to force me to try a bit harder.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Sane Max Sane Max.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.