Home Forums Terrain and Scenery East Asian Buildings WIP

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

Thought I would post some WIP pics here to shame myself into finishing these: they are an East Asian castle and a shrine. Not meant to be specifically Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or anything else, but they do have an Oriental feel to them:

Please feel free to heckle me if I don’t post any progress pics, because that might be the motivation I need to get these things done!

Cheers

• This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Paul.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Paul.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Paul
    Participant

Hmmm, strange: only one image seems to be posting correctly. Lets try the other again:

Cheers

Patrice
    Participant

Nice start. I can’t find a good idea to make Eastern tile roofs?

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

religon
    Participant

Nice start. I can’t find a good idea to make Eastern tile roofs?

I have seen folks do this with corrugated cardboard. They carefully peel of one side and place the ridges up. Black paint with highlights seems an effective style.

I saw a great scratch-built Ronin (Osprey Skirmish Game) village done this way recently on a blog.

Not the same one, but the last picture in this tutorial shows the technique…
    Asian Building

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement! --Lt. Aldo Raine

religon
    Participant

Roofing

Here’s the one I was thinking of…
    China and the Rising Sun

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement! --Lt. Aldo Raine

Paul
    Participant

My abortive attempt at a blog has a tutorial on plaster-cast tiled roofs; the method is not perfect, but it looks OK on the table; it is really time consuming, though, and I won’t be doing it that way again.

My castle roof is made with corrugated cardboard; it is more complex because the concave roofs meet at a corner; again, it is not museum quality, but it looks OK on the table.

Thanks for the link religion, will check it out in detail.

Paul
    Participant

Done some more work on the shrine: the deck has been planked, the roof tiled, and the hill now fully textured. Next up is painting, and then my favourite part, the “gardening”. CP Models 28mm Shaolin Monks for scale.

Cheers

Paul

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Paul.

Paul
    Participant

Lots of progress on the shrine; been struggling with power-cuts in my area, though, so haven’t had a chance to post an update. Basically done, just not happy with the flat sides of the roof. Any ideas on what to do with it?

TwoGunBob
    Participant

Back a few years ago I was working on a project for Tales of the Dragon Kings and made a few buildings for a sort of generic Asian fantasy setting.

Of course I ran out of steam after a single convention game and the stuff is all in storage probably never to be picked up again.

Paul
    Participant

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. The only piece that looks out of place is the giant Krusty the Clown idol in the last pic 🙂
    Do you have any other pics? I’m always looking for inspiration for Asian buildings.
    Why not dust them off for a game of fantasy Ronin: there seem to be a lot of Ronin players around.

Love the Tales of the Dragon Kings range: they are a pleasure to paint.

TwoGunBob
    Participant

Not so many interesting pics. Mostly is was background to the figures themselves and I’m always bad about taking pics during a game. Locally, Ronin kind of already came and left as the ‘flavor of the month’. You know how clubs get the bright and shiny and then go on to something else. I was curious if Ronin could work for the Tales figures but have been so involved in pulp sci-fi and Flintloque that I haven’t had much chance to take a look at the rules.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.