Home Forums WWII East Front 1943 campaign, Mission 02. 6mm WW2 on a small table on blog

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This is mission 2 in a small campaign I am doing to get in some 6mm WW2 games.  I am using a variant of Platoon Forward to generate the missions and opposing forces.  I  started with a Russian green company and they are still all green. While the game narrative is all handcrafted, the mission status may seem a little dry as I am using a spreadsheet to keep track of the Company and also to generate the missions.  Second game in and I change from my own rules to give the recently released Rapid Fire Reloaded a go.  Full battle report on the blog:

https://shaun-wargaming-minis.blogspot.com/2021/03/east-front-1943-salkov-campaign-mission.html

A picture of a reduced Russian platoon assaulting a German Gruppe in the woods:

Participant

I enjoyed this report. I like the idea of having small games. Your terrain generator looks interesting. I will have to have a look at Rapidfire Reloaded. While I am enjoying Battlegroup, I do feel that I could try other rules out with my 6mm figures.

Participant

Thanks.  I have not played 6mm on anything larger than 2’x2′ so to me this is the standard size!  And I have found that in the last 5-6 years I really like the “vignette” type battles with small forces on a small table.  The terrain generator is quite simple – I have a list of 5 terrain locations (Rural, Mixed, Hills, Woods, Urban).  Each terrain location has 20 terrain cards, many repeated (e.g. hill, wood, key building, marsh, crops).  I pick a terrain location and then randomly select 9 to create the battlefield.  I do it is a spreadsheet to make it faster to generate 🙂

Rapid Fire Reloaded is much simpler with less detail than Battlegroup.  Strangely, I am not that enamoured with Rapid Fire itself but really like the streamlined/simplified Rapid Fire Reloaded, possibly as I have been slowly writing my own rules and stripping back their complexity to a similar level of detail as Rapid Fire Reloaded.

Participant

I ordered the rules so I guess they will be here soon. I look forward to giving them a go. I have also been looking at Platoon Forward! because you rate it highly. If it helps me create scenarios then I am very in favour of it. Thanks for broadening my rules collection.

Participant

I don’t know whether that is a good thing or not 🙂   Regarding Platoon Forward, I use it for the missions but there is a detailed campaign system and a decent random enemy generator as well.  There are a lot of ideas in it that are applicable to any sort of campaign. I know Just Jack uses a variation of the random enemy generator,

Participant

I now have both Platoon Forward and Rapidfire Reloaded. I am interested to see where this takes me.

Participant

That was quick.  Interested to hear your thoughts on both.  I see Platoon Forward as a toolbox and RFR reminds me of games I played 20 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.