Home Forums Ancients Egyptian Machimoi Figures in 28mm

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

Looking for figures of or repurposable into Machimoi in 28mm. Should have “borrowed” Assyrian shields but not absolutely nessecary. I’ve only seen these, and rarely, in 15mm a scale I don’t use.

Garry Grant
    Participant

Mike

Have replied on Lead Adventure Forum – check out SGT Major Miniatures Achaemenid Persian range, has both armoured (quilted) and unarmoured spearmen large shields.  Eureka also has 2 Egyptian marines in their ancients range also large shields.   Eureka is smaller 28mm than Sgt Major.   I have used the Sgt Major chaps in my later Achaemenid army.  They could also be Saitic Egyptians – an interesting army – Egyptians (with long spear and bow), hoplites, cavalry and 4 horse heavy chariots.

What I didn’t say was neither figure (in my view) is really suitable for pikemen – really that large shield is not right!

For pikemen recommend 1st Corps or Polemarch (Gripping Beast).   Both come up well, 1st Corps are a little smaller than Polemarch.

Garry

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Garry Grant. Reason: Deleted odds words at the end of the message!
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Garry Grant.
    Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

Thanks Garry! I read your response on LAF (and I agree that the Saite army is compelling, my Machimoi are intended for use on a variation of same in my alt history campaign. They’re intended to confront the turco-hellenes of Imperial Balkh in a Syria balkanized into tiny, vicious Seleukid pricipalities.). I agree about the shields but I love the grungy awkwardness of the big Assyrian shields and, with me, looks trump authenticity (or even mere physics).

Garry Grant
    Participant

Just read your Imagi-Nations post Mike.  Sounds like a great idea and those Aventines are wonderful figures.    I will probably weaken and get at least 12 for use with my Sasanids (eventually).

Garry

Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

They are great figures! If I have any time at all I mod compulsively so I’m hoping to buy some extra to rework into Tibetan cataphracts, Khamba nobles, Tangut “Iron Sparrows” etc… I’m very much looking forward to their forthcoming Byzantine range.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.