Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Empires in Arms Map Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Has anyone here ever tried to figure out roughly how much space an area on the Empires in Arms map might represent?  I would like to use the map for a naval campaign, and that info would be very helpful.  The rules don’t say anything about this.

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Bandit
    Participant

I don’t have mine handy, but I’d suggest pulling the trick of measuring between two known points to determine distance and then scaling it to the number of map spaces between them. Paris to Caen is approximately 130 miles with a straight route between them.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Brian Weathersby
    Participant

I did try something similar.  I took my drawing program and tried to impose another map over it so that would give me some idea of distances.  Obviously, that didn’t work .  The issues of drawing a map for game use meant that none of the “real world” maps I found could be matched to it without some significant distortion.  I’ve got it roughly sussed out to “a few hundred square miles,” (in fact, I think it’s probably about 3-400) but would like to try and get a little closer than that.  It might well be that there is no consistency and each area represents a differing amount of sea.  I could try the Empires in Harm Yahoo group, but it seems to be dead.

BWW

EDIT: I tried your suggestion just now, and it’s clear that land and sea areas represent two very different amounts of distance.  Paris to the approximate position of Caen is about 3 areas.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Brian Weathersby
    Participant

So with the help of a website called Ports.com, I put in a number of ports on the map to find distances between them, and then counted up the spaces between them, just as you suggested.  I did 22 different pairs, so that no one oddball number would influence the results too much.  It looks like each area represents about 200-210 miles, which is close enough for my purposes.  Thanks for the suggestion; sometimes simpler is better!

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.