Home Forums Horse and Musket American Civil War Epic figures go onto the table

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Norm S
    Participant

The new warlord Epic figures went onto the table today to play scenario 1 from the set, which is a good starter scenario.

The post is really for the new gamer, encouraging them to dive into the very full box and get stuff onto the table before it is even painted.

I have put up a blog post that gives an impression of how these tightly packed figures look on the table, though I have shortened my bases, to reduce the noticeable gaps between between bases.

LINK
    http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2021/04/an-epic-warlord-games-battle-for.html

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Great post Norm!

willz
    Participant

Thanks for the excellent post Norm.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Beautiful stuff, Norm! Plus, I am glad to see someone doing what I plan to do: cut the bases.

So you say the cut base is around 55mm or 2 inches?

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Norm S
    Participant

Thanks all, yes 55mm cuts that gap right down. Be aware though when marking out, that the blade itself adds to the cut. I used a stanley knife, a razor saw and a tennon saw and each produced a different thickness of cut and so on two cuts to the base, one at each end, had the effect giving variable outcomes.

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

The cut bases work very well with your troops. Given the strips where put together to simplify casting I wonder why they put the edge gaps in? Tradition maybe?

Hope folk new to the game see your post esp. the ‘play not paint’ fix to the classic collecting problem.

It’s interesting to see quite a few players dropping down to two bases for a regiment – wonder if it will make it into the next set of rules as an option 🙂

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I plan to make it three bases to a regiment and play at half scale. At five bases to a regiment, the regiment sizes are actually larger than regular BP! So while the games might be epic in terms of figure numbers, they won’t be in terms of units.

A three inch front is close to half scale as to be no nevermind. Plus, it allows easy scaling of large units at five stands, small at two and tiny at one.

Warlord seems to be planning on this as they are already selling extra command stands at a horrendous price. I plan to get mine from Kalistra.

Norm S
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. The ‘gap’ is a strange decision or perhaps outcome, it is as though the base size and the figure strip came from two different design intentions. I hope the project does bring some new players to the table.

Thaddeus, 3 bases seems the best way to go for the reasons you give. Black powder does make a lot of use of different formation size and I know some gamers prefer seeing their flag / command in the centre, which more often than not, the 3 base solution will give.

I am guessing that the command bases are going to be done in resin and if so, this highlights the production run costs between a mass hard plastic generic single sprue and then all the ‘accessories’ in resin, which makes me wonder whether a napoleonic version could ever be done at an acceptable price point.

ian pillay
    Participant

Excellent work and post Norm. Not that I have played BP but I would use these for NT rules if I didn’t already have ACW in 3mm, 6mm, 10mm and 25mm 🤭 The single sprue of ranked troops is a great idea. Naps would be good using this design philosophy, a French attack column would look epic.

Tally-Ho!

Mike
    Keymaster

Where did you get the river from?

Norm S
    Participant

Thanks Ian.

Mike from S&A Scenics.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Do you think the “score and snap” technique would work on this plastic, Norm? Or is it too soft?

Norm S
    Participant

No, it is too soft. I found that I had to cut the full way through. On the odd ones that I miscut or slipped etc, doing the tidy up to retain the edge was a pain.

Overall, I think a razor saw gives the most controlled result and the smaller teeth help reduce collateral damage.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Thanks! I will keep that in mind!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.