Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic ESR Schewardino Game at Historicon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bandit
    Participant

We ran a series of four games at Historicon this year using Et sans résultat! Second Edition. All of them were scenarios taken from Master of the World, 1812 in Russia. ESR can be run at any ground scale using any scale miniatures. This game was run at 1″ = 75 yards using 15mm figures.

Our first game was Vitebsk, a rear guard action where the Russians held against the French pursuit.

Our second game was Smolensk which ended with the Russians hard pressed but still holding the city gates.

Our third game was Loubino, where Barclay de Tolly’s army was attacked on the march when Bagration failed to wait for him east of Valutino-Gora. The French broke two Russian corps but were confronted by a last ditch defensive line that prevented success.

The last game of the convention was Schewardino Redoubt, two days before the Battle of Borodino.

The Russian redoubt at Schewardino controlled the plain on which Napoleon planned to assemble his army. The Polish V Corps was ordered to clear the woods south of the redoubt and make its position untenable. Eugene’s IV Corps was sent to empty the occupied village of Borodino to the north, and Davout was tasked with taking the redoubt.

In our game, the Poles quickly became bogged down against Russian Jägers, and the 16th Division was broken when outflanked by a brigade of Russian hussar posted in ambush and waiting for an opportune moment – which they found.

Eugene successfully crushed the Russian Force guarding Borodino, but Davout’s lead division became embroiled in a detracted skirmish contest, followed by a series of firefights when they finally attempted to assault the redoubt. Heavy divisions of the Reserve Cavalry came up to support, but they ended up covering the withdrawal of Davout’s lead division rather than exploiting his success.

You can see more photos of the game in our Gallery under the title “Smolensk, 1812 at Historicon 2016”.

It was also quite flattering to have two more well known names in Napoleonics join for the game – see if you can spot them in the photo above!

Cheers,

The Bandit

Iain Fuller
    Participant

Hello Bandit,

I’ve been intrigued by these rules for a while now and was wondering if there are any plans to run demo’s here in the UK?

Bandit
    Participant

I’ve been intrigued by these rules for a while now and was wondering if there are any plans to run demo’s here in the UK?

We’ve gotten this question a couple of times. Unfortunately, we’re in the midwest of the US, so we don’t have the ability to run any ourselves. Magister Militum is our UK reseller and they report consistently good sales of both our rules and Campaign Guides so it would seem people are picking them up.

As for coordinating games to be run in the UK at public venues, we’d like to and are working towards it but haven’t been able to make it happen yet.

If you haven’t yet checked out “The Overview” on our Downloads page, I would encourage you to. It is the rule book as a PDF with the procedures and examples for mechanics stripped. The turn sequence and concepts are all laid out there and it should tell you if ESR focuses on the aspects of Napoleonic wargaming that you care about.

There is also a Yahoo Discussion Group and an Announcements Mailing List that we run where you can ask questions and hear about announcements such as sales, etc… respectfully.

For instance, presently, we’re running an ongoing series of sales to celebrate the anniversaries of battles during Napoleon’s Russian Campaign. On the anniversary of each battle we run a surprise sale. Today (8/18) is the anniversary of the Battle of Loubino and we’re offering $10.00 USD off Master of the World, 1812 in Russia.

And of course I’m happy to answer questions here on TWW.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Iain Fuller
    Participant

Cheers Bandit. I’ll have a look at that download and pop over to the Yahoo site.

Many thanks for the speedy reply too.

Bandit
    Participant

Cheers Bandit. I’ll have a look at that download and pop over to the Yahoo site.

Many thanks for the speedy reply too.

No problem, hope you like what you find.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.