Home Forums Modern Eureka Minis 15mm Modern Australians in Universal Cam

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

All,

More modern skirmish troops, this time from Eureka’s 15mm line of Modern Australians. These troops are really magnificent, just great sculpts with great poses and great detail in their gear. You may recall that I’ve previously painted and posted up Modern Aussies on the blog; with them I took my first shot at universal camouflage pattern. It looked pretty good (I thought), but didn’t look ‘right,’ if that makes sense. I’ve also posted that I took six of them and painted them up as modern private military contractors (PMCs). Well, not being in love with the camo I did on the first platoon of Aussies, I sold them off, bought some more, and gave it another go. This time I’m much happier with my attempt at universal cam, think I did a pretty okay job.

The whole group, sixteen troops. I bought the rifleman pack, the SAW (Minimi) pack, the standing and the kneeling command packs, the prone machine gun team, and a prone sniper team (in regular uniform, not the ghillie suit). All the troops from all the packs are not here as I stole some and made some more PMCs, but that’s for another post. Being in universal cam, the point is to operated in desert and temperate climates, so I did my best to base them where they’d fit in either. I also have some that I’m going to paint up for Arctic climate, but haven’t started working on them yet.

First up is the standing command pack, a leader-type and his RTO. I put them in universal cam, to include their vests and gear pouches, and they’re all wearing gloves. I also did my now ‘normal’ three skin-tone variations that I’ve come to know and love for post-WWII troops.

A close up of the universal cam; basically, I just softened all the colors. I used three colors (olive drab, dark tan, and khaki) for the underlying camo, about a third for each color, then dotted with sand and dark gray. It still may not be perfect, but I’m very happy with how it turned out.

To see a bunch more photos, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/09/eureka-minis-15mm-modern-australians-in.html

So there’s my next set of modern bad-asses, ready to hop into the (tabletop) fight. Not sure where they’ll see action, but almost assuredly it will be something continuing my ‘Cuba Libre’ story. More stuff to post, and I’m working on a modern Middle East batrep (for which I used Ambush Alley’s “Lawyers, Guns, and Money” scenario pack). Stay tuned.

V/R,
    Jack

Rhoderic
    Participant

Very nice! The problem I usually have with figures painted in camo patterns is that I’m unable to appreciate the underlying figure because of the riot of dots and blobs over it. By keeping the contrasts relatively soft, you’ve addressed that problem in a good way, and frankly the figures look more realistic. I’m not entirely a believer in the adage that the smaller the scale, the brighter the colours and the stronger the contrasts need to be.

kyoteblue
    Participant

They look good. Maybe an island raid….blow a bunker or two….

Just Jack
    Participant

Rhoderic – It’s funny you mention that, but you’re absolutely right.  I’m usually of the ‘go brighter with smaller’ mindsets, don’t worry about actual colors, just make them pop.  But subduing everything was the way to go for universal cam (at least for me).

John – Don’t worry, I got plans 😉
    Now time, on the other hand…

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

I know some one makes 15mm Modern Chinese……think of the fun…

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

If your camo gets any better I won’t be able to see the figures in the AAR. 

Just Jack
    Participant

John – Yeah man, Rebel Minis make modern Chinese.  I had some, painted them up as UN troops, then sold them.  May have to get some more, but that’s a ways off for me.

Vicki – Thanks!  Maybe I can draw little red circles around the guys; Kyote’s eyes are bad enough I should be doing that anyway 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

Those Aussies are nice! Well done! The camouflage is great looking. Are you going to splurge and get some Bushmasters, ASLAV’s and an Abrams or two to spice them up? With all that Crescent Root stuff and the baddies you have, you could go to town in either Afghanistan or Iraq. J’you don’d need no stink’en Chinese to rock dis hood, Ese!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

I think you’ve captured the ‘essence’ of MTP camo perfectly.  I wear the stuff every couple of weeks or so and often look at it and think “How on earth would I paint that?!”, but you’ve shown that it can be done!  I never had any problems painting DPM, but MTP has had me scratching my head for a while.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Just Jack
    Participant

Rod – I am looking at some vehicles, but not sure, the Eureka vehicles are nice but a bit expensive ($12 for LAV, $15 for Bushmaster).

China would be for much later.

Jemima – Thanks man!  I’m pretty happy with it, but it took me about five attempts to finally get here.

V/R,

Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

Ah, go on. You know you want to. And the ASLAV’s are only $11.40 US at Eureka. The Bushmasters are expensive, but you deserve it – you’re worth every penny. Treat yourself but just don’t let the better-half find out!

Cheers.

Satan.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.