Home Forums WWII Eureka Minis 15mm US Marines for Early WWII

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

Switching gears, I haven’t forgotten about WWII, and continue to add to that collection as well. I’ve been working on US and Japanese troops for a campaign (actually, a series of campaigns) in the Pacific. I had planned on beginning the ‘war’ at Guadalcanal in August 1942, but when I found myself over on the Eureka Miniatures website looking at Modern Australians I stumbled into something else: US Marines for early war. They’re actually titled “Wake Island,” but that doesn’t work for me as I plan on following a platoon of Gyrenes through the entire war, and many of the early war battles were battles of annihilation, all US troops being captured or killed. So I’m not quite sure where I’ll start, probably make up some scenario for the Philippines where Marines are involved on the Bataan Penninsula but end up being ordered out or otherwise escaping to live and fight another day.

In any case, that is for the future; for now, let’s look at these magnificent little sculpts.

The whole force, 17 troops from several different packs. I bought a pack of two leaders, two BAR men, a two-man M-1917 water-cooled machine gun, a pack of three Marines with Thompson submachine guns, and a pack of eight riflemen armed with the venerable ’03 Springfield. I painted them up in early war khaki, with sand leggings and load bearing gear, and dark green ‘pie plate’ helmets. Did grassy bases for the jungle.

First men up is the leader pack. I painted them up as an officer (left) and a senior NCO (right). You can see a ‘stache and rank insignia on the officer’s helmet, and I tried to paint stripes on the NCOs sleeves. To see a bunch more photos, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/09/eureka-minis-15mm-us-marines-for-early.html

So, there they are, my next latest force for 15mm skirmish gaming. Dammit, I can’t wait to get these guys on the table, I just don’t have time to do all the stuff I want to do!!! I’m sure this is the eternal lament of the wargamer, but it’s killing me nonetheless. I highly recommend these troops for some early war US action, they’re absolutely fantastic. Meanwhile, I need to get back to my Cuba Libre stuff in the Middle East, coming soon.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Those are really lovely figures, and your painting seems to bring out the best in them.  But yes, Cuba Libre, I’m waiting ~taps foot impatiently~  

Participant

Jack:

These Marines look really good! How do Eureka minis compare to others in terms of their size? Are the smaller true 15’s a la Peter Pig or behemoths like Battlefront minis? Well done on the painting and good gaming with them!

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Hot Damn !!!!! About time !!!!! Semper Fi !!!!!!

Participant

Vicki -Ugh, I’m trying!  Cuba Libre is in full swing: South Leon is in hiatus while I run a three-fight operation in the Middle East (I’m working on the first batrep still), then I’ve got a six-fight operation in the Caribbean. I still need to finish up Cronistria (maybe another 3-6 fights), then go back to South Leon.  Aside from the ‘Vietnam’ side of South Leon, I intend on doing some stuff in the capital city based on 1982 Lebanon.

But every fight for Cuba Libre means losing 1) a fight for Hakuna-Matata; 2) a fight in my not-yet started USMC in WWII; 3) not getting back to finish Operation Jupiter; 4) not getting back to finish KG Klink in the Fall of France; not getting back to ‘All Americans’ in Normandy.  I need more time!  And it’s just gotten shorter as the kids are back in school and have lots of homework, and the 7-year old boy and I are back in baseball.

Rod – Thanks man, and these guys are bigger than Peter Pig, pretty much even with Battlefront.  Soon I’ll post a pack of Japanese Type 92 heavy machine guns, and I put them in the photos up next to my Eureka Japanese for a size comparison.

Kyote – I’m hurrying!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

I’m still Jonesing for an ARR from the Canal !!!!!

Participant

Well, that’s the problem.  Now that I’ve got these guys I’ve got to do something before Guadalcanal 😉

V/R,

Jack

Participant

Luzon or Wake …..not a happy ending. Or the Sand Pebbles in the 1930’s China. Wait wait you can build a Yahtzee River Boat !!!!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.