Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Eureka Mniatures vs. 15mm Scale Creep

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Average
    Participant

So, I’ve done what I thought I’d never do and gotten a handful of 15mm figures, some Sci Fi Germans from Eureka. They’re great figures, especially the little Kommissar in the tall peaked cap – I find myself humming Falco songs when I look at him. (Schau schau!) They’re going to be Shutoral Demokratische Republik infantry in an SF3D-styled Grunts skirmish campaign, with some Darkest Star “Not-Rocker” tanks, maybe some Merc vehicles from Clear Horizon as Mercenary or Provisional Government tanks.

Here’s the thing: they’re true 15mm, and a full head shorter than Khurasan, Rebel, or other comparable 15s I’ve seen, which seem to have crept up closer to 18mm. But I LIKE the smaller infantry, because they scale beautifully next to some SAFS-like power armor I got and the other “super-15’s” are too tall to make it wash – the PA suits look way too small to really be “Super Armored Fighting Suits.”

So I’m wondering what people with more 15mm experience suggest as a remedy. Like Ion Age tanks and troops look like a good stylistic match but I’m not sure how they compare size-wise. Or GZG for that matter. Anyone care to give of their wisdom?

Angel Barracks

and gotten a handful of 15mm figures

Shame on you!

Mr. Average
    Participant

and gotten a handful of 15mm figures

Shame on you!

It’s all part of my master plan, Mike. I’m easing the club down to 6mm. Start with true 15’s, then 12mm Heavy Gear seems reasonable, then “Why not give 6mm a try, it’s not that much smaller…”

Come to think of it, interesting aside: how tall are KR16 HARDsuits? I wonder what would make a good infantry unit at scale to really make them look nice and tall in comparison…

Rhoderic
    Participant

I don’t have very much experience with 15mm but I do have a bunch of Ion Age figures and they are definitely on the larger, bulkier side. I just went and measured a bunch of them, they were 16-17 mm to the eyes and 18mm to the top of the head. As for the Ion Age vehicles I can’t really make a good judgement of how well they’d scale with smaller 15mm figures, but I think the tanks in particular are intended to be very large – it’s just that kind of setting, a space fantasy setting where the tanks are behemoths because the rule of cool says so.

Mr. Average
    Participant

I don’t mind bulky vehicles for that very reason. The Taranis tank is in a dead heat with the Critical Mass “Ravager” tank as a stand-in for the Mercenary “Ravin” MBT. But the infantry will be too big if they size to 18mm. I’m not hugely worried though since the Mercenary Army doesn’t use a lot of light infantry in the Yokoyama fiction, only the Shutoral troops do, and they’re trucked in from off-world, mainly criminals and foreign legionnaires and the like – thugs in uniform. It just limits the options, is all – civilians, colonists, militia and the like could be useful but I want them to scale up properly.

Etranger
    Participant

Eureka’s figures do tend to be a bit smaller than some other ranges (EG newer Battlefront, 15mm.co.uk/Ion Age) but that doesn’t worry me too much, after all humans aren’t all 175 cm, 70 kg even today. Who knows what changes in the future?

It’s science fiction, so more or less anything goes, but a few thoughts to explain them: firstly genetic manipulation or just selective breeding to produce a warrior caste produces large, stronger specimens, but not all cultures use it. Secondly, the effects of different gravitational fields between different planets & from space ships/colonies will have an effect too. Even a few months in Zero-G will change body morphology PDQ. Thirdly, they may be Humanoid but not human…

Paul
    Participant

Mr. Average, if you like I can post comparison pics between Rebel, Khurasan and Ion Age figs if you like.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

I like the look of Eureka and GZG figures with each other. Seems to fit very well, for my money.

Khurasan is typically large though it depends o nthe range. For Aliens, I guess it’s not a big deal.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

irishserb
    Participant

I was going to suggest something along the lines of what Etranger mentioned.  If you already have the figs, I would probably try to use them, attributing the difference in size to some selective process or genetic engineering.   If you consider that an average person standing amongst a group of NFL (American football) players can look like examples of two different species, I think it would be a reasonable approach with respect to sci-fi soldiers for gaming.

kid bananas
    Participant

Heck, I’m a pretty big guy (6′ 4″, over 300lbs) and know some former NFL players and they me look small…..

Mr. Average
    Participant

For now I’m sticking with the Eureka figures, since they scale up the way I want them to.  If anyone does happen to know how Darkest Star 15’s compare I’d be interested to know – they look promising as Provisional Government troops.

I’m about to order a pair of the “Rimmer” grav tanks (in my next “Game Budget” cycle, that is), to serve as PzH. 108K Ausf. A “Nacker” hovertanks – designed to be lighter, faster and have a stronger adaptive AI than the old “Nutrockers;” a dangerous foe first encountered by the IMA during operations in the rubble-choked approaches to Colombo Spaceport.

Stroezie
    Participant

I love the Eureka scifi germans, they were my first ever scifi force for Gruntz.

I’ve used them with figures from just about every other manufacturer without any problem.( sometimes it helps to just make their bases a little thicker)

If you like small scale skirmish, check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Heya Mr. Average,

The DSG Vents are very close to the same size as the Eureka Vents, so should go well.  I’d say since the SDR troops are from mostly off planet (as are most of the MaK/SF3D troops) size variation might be a good thing.

As for tanks, the research I have done says that most of the vehicles were pretty small, so the Tyranus might be huge for a Ravin.  The Dollhouse is based on the SDR Pz182 (and the Merc Y-15 tank which is just a redesignation for stolen/captured units) but is “newer” technology than the Ravin and Seduce, so maybe”newer” equals smaller in this case (the truth behind the Dollhosue model is that KY used a 1/35 T-64 to make a 1/20 model, and had to widen the hull to make it work.  The side skirts are actually the original deck of the T-64 with the half-circle being the turret ring!).  If you want to do some “one-stop shopping” I will be releasing the Federation Python/Cobra in 15mm very soon (you can see the 6mm versions at http://www.darkeststargames.com/6mm-dark-star-sci-fi-range–federation.html ) and you could easily utilize those.  There will also be an AAA and rocket launcher versions released at the same time.  I mention this because you could put the rocket launchers on the sides of the extra turrets for the Rimmers (after shaving off the guns on the left side of the turret) and have a stand-in Dollhouse…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Oh, and if you want some excellent reference photos of the Dollhouse and Sandstalker, check out: http://hexamodel.com/

The models are all based off of Kow Yokoyama’s original models.

Angel Barracks

Come to think of it, interesting aside: how tall are KR16 HARDsuits? I wonder what would make a good infantry unit at scale to really make them look nice and tall in comparison…

My bad I never saw this, sorry.
    9mm to the top of the head bit.
    10mm to the top of the gun on the head bit.

Mr. Average
    Participant

@Darkest Star – Glad to know all of this! I was just thinking those Fed tracked chassis would be good Y-15 series bases. And with a Rimmer turret it’s pretty much there – a little putty to work it out maybe. Any way you’d be willing to ballpark your release date? The almost-Sph.69P is already on my list, too – hopefully it can fit some PKAs in the back. I’d love to see something like a Sandstalker, longer-term.

@Mike, that’s a very healthy size! I think they’ll compare very well to Brigade offerings which are my go-to for the Shutoral PKA suits at the scale. Not perfect, really, I wish hey had as much character as the HARDsuits, frankly. They all have that open stance “Come At Me Bro” look to them that is the default I’m In Powered Armor design. But a little careful work with the needle nose pliers might set that right. By the way, my wish for a Sandstalker applies to 6mm scale too! But far be it from me to impose, either way!

Angel Barracks

Thanks, up until recently the Brigade PA suits were my all time favourite PA models in 6mm.
    I actually much prefer the 6mm to their 15mm.

Mr. Average
    Participant

The 15mm Brigade PA is… I can’t put my finger on it, but it might be the slightly-too-narrow waist, or the slightly-too-shapely legs. They ought to be clunkier with that much of a dome up top.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

@Mr Average

No problem sir!  The 3d prints should arrive early this week.  After I clean them up they should be to the caster by weekend and then it’s only a matter of however long it takes for them to be molded and cast.  Lets say 3 weeks or so from arrival of masters?  I’ll be sure to post here and on the 15mm scifi FB group.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Mr Average No problem sir! The 3d prints should arrive early this week. After I clean them up they should be to the caster by weekend and then it’s only a matter of however long it takes for them to be molded and cast. Lets say 3 weeks or so from arrival of masters? I’ll be sure to post here and on the 15mm scifi FB group.

It is January 2017 – any updates?

Darryl Smith
    Participant

For now I’m sticking with the Eureka figures, since they scale up the way I want them to.  If anyone does happen to know how Darkest Star 15’s compare I’d be interested to know – they look promising as Provisional Government troops.

The Eureka Vents are a head taller than their sci-fi Germans. I found them to really not be compatible at all (with the Eureka Germans, I can'[t speak to how they match with the DSG Vents – I own the latter, but sold my Eureka Vents prior).

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com/
    http://foragecaps.blogspot.com/
    http://germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com/

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

It is January 2017 – any updates?

Don’t mean to hijack this thread, but update on the 15mm DSG tanks is: I have approved the pre-prod masters and am starting to paint them up while the caster gets to work on stock!  Will have something to show soon!

@Darryl-  I don’t have any of the Eureaka Vents, but a friend does and they seem to blend pretty well, especially if you use one set as “new” versions or a Marines instead of Army or some such.  They are the same size, though our DSG have smaller weapons.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.