Home Forums General General Europe and UK museums

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Dal Gavan Dal Gavan 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dal Gavan
    Dal Gavan
    Participant

G’day, all.

I’m heading over to Europe and the UK in August for a couple of months, supposedly to do research for a book on colours, standards and guidons from about the WSS/WAS to the end of the Napoleonic Wars. However the book will probably never be written, let alone published, but it does make a good excuse for spending a lot of money rather than doing “something sensible” with it.

To that end I’ll be landing at Zurich and then traveling to Germany, Austria, Czechia, The Netherlands, Belgium and France, before jumping the ditch and spending another month in the UK and Ireland. I already intend to visit the Military History Museum in Vienna, Wagram Museum, the Bavarian Army Museum, Zeughaus in Berlin, Musee de l’Armee and STa.M in Ghent (where there’s a surviving Prussian kürassiere standard from the SYW) . In the UK I’ll be hitting the NAM, of course, and also revisiting the regimental museums at Caernarfon, Shrewsbury, Chester and Duxford. I also plan on getting to some of the others around London, Bedfordshire, Manchester, Nottingham, etc. I’ll be getting to Bovington, Munster (Örtze) and Saumur, of course, as well as Cosford, Hendon and Shuttleworth.

I ain’t just bragging about me trip. What I would like, please, is advice on any museums I should include, if I can. Any advice, particularly for the European cities, will be gladly received. Looking on the net and in my books the Scottish National War Museum has at least one standard from that period, as may the Household Cavalry Museum.

Cheers.

Dal.

• This topic was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Dal Gavan Dal Gavan. Reason: Illiterate fingers
    yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine
    Participant

Manchester Regiment museum has been shut for a number of years, and will remain shut for a wee while longer.

www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

Try to fit in the Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovilton.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Harry Faversham
    Harry Faversham
    Participant

Bovington Tank Museum, Imperial War Museum, Duxford Airfield, Yorkshire Air Museum and East Kirkby Heritage Centre.

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Fredd Bloggs
    Participant

There is a small but excellent uniform collection at Lewes Castle (near Brighton) including a 7yw (could be AWI) light infantry hat/helmet for the 5th Foot.

Dal Gavan
    Dal Gavan
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions.I’ve already got a few suggestions scheduled, but there’s a few more I can pencil in. A night in Dorchester will let me cover Bovington, The Keep and FAA Museum, by the looks of the map.

yourpace, I sent the Manchester’s museum an email and they replied that it should be open in July-August. However I’ll keep tabs on it and see if that’s just a fobbing off.

If only I had another month there. Perhaps next year.

Cheers.

Dal.

Not Connard Sage
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

A night in Dorchester will let me cover Bovington, The Keep and FAA Museum, by the looks of the map.

If you mean the Keep in Devizes, it’s now part of a complex of residential flats.

https://gaigerbros.co.uk/projects/the-keep

The Baileys left their business there years ago.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Dal Gavan
    Dal Gavan
    Participant

NCS, I was thinking of the Keep Museum, Dorchester (http://www.keepmilitarymuseum.org/), not the one at Devises. It covers the 11th, 39th and 54th Foot as well as mentioning “colours and guidons”, unlike most.

Thanks for the heads up, though.

Dal.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.