Home Forums Horse and Musket 18th Century Eutaw Springs again, AAR

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vtsaogames
    Participant

Another try at Eutaw Springs, more satisfying than the last time here.

This too shall pass

Thanks for posting a follow up – I wasn’t aware of these rules until you posted about them so thanks for sharing. Great looking figures as well. Hope your friend is ok?

Gun Dog Miniature Painting Services
    https://m.facebook.com/gundogminiatures/
    Sniffing out unpainted armies!

kyoteblue
    Participant

Thank you for the second AAR, I to hope your friend is feeling better.

vtsaogames
    Participant

I rode my bike and hung out with him today in Washington Square, 6 feet away, masks. He’s feeling a bit better though still wary.

The figures are Frying Pan & Blanket, true 20mm. If I had it to do over again they would be 15-18mm Blue Moon, since almost everything else I have is 15mm. Or else 10mm but the other Fencibles frown on that.

I intend to post suggestions to clarify the rules either on my blog or perhaps here.

This too shall pass

kyoteblue
    Participant

My AWI figures are 18mm Bluemoon thought I’m using Rebels and Patriots rules. But my Continentals are still unpainted so I have not gotten a game with them.

jeffers
    Participant

Wow! I’ve finally said something useful!

Loose Files is a great set of rules and years of play has turned up some holes, but I’ve had that from most other sets I have played. And you have to bear in mind it was actually a magazine article a couple of pages long. I’m currently revising it for 25mm so that will probably throw up some more issues, but overall it has provided me with actions that ‘feel’ like the books I have read so I’m happy to adapt it. Only problem now is that I’m not likely to be able to try them out this year 🙁.

I love your AARs, though. Very interesting to see how others handle the rules. I have to live out my hobby through others’ efforts at the moment!

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

vtsaogames
    Participant

I looked at Andy Callan’s paperboys Peninsular War rules for ideas on dealing with multiple combats. Stuff in italics is from that game.

Who fights: front line stands in contact and 1 overlap on each side.

If units attack multiple enemy units, both players should allow a readjustment to pitch one unit against one. If this is not possible, fight it as two separate combats, dividing the ‘bridging’ unit at the point of the junction.

In wargames, and possibly in real life too at this time, units would engage each other in a duel- like manner, so try to pitch one unit squarely against another rather than attacking areas of overlap where one unit faces a pair or more of enemies. If this does happen, or if two units say, attack a single larger unit spread out in line, treat the fights as separate actions, but a negative result, a fall back or rout to part of a unit will mean the whole unit must fall back etc. even if part of the unit was a success in combat against another opponent.

Artillery fights as part of infantry within 2”. Deployed artillery that retreat or rout abandon guns. Limbered guns that rout abandon guns. Deployed artillery counts as 2 infantry stands, limbered artillery count as one. Cavalry stands count as two infantry stands.

Morale: a unit can only be affected by one friendly unit retreating or routing. Use the one that has the worst impact.

Edit: I intend to have retreating and routing  units make their cumpulsory moves when the combat is resolved. I find the moves/morale effect next turn to be a hassle.

Interesting: a Wally Simon idea – shuffle a deck with 3 red cards and 3 black cards. Red for the British, black for the colonists. First card drawn for your side is the fire card. Second is cavalry movement, third is infantry/artillery movement. Resolve combat as it occurs. After all movement, rally. Officers may move on any card.

It is supposed to storm tomorrow. perhaps I will run Eutaw Springs one more time with all of this above before packing the lads away.

This too shall pass

jeffers
    Participant

I resolve all retreats and routs at the end of combat too.

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

vtsaogames
    Participant

Ah, not today. Maybe tomorrow…

This too shall pass

kyoteblue
    Participant

I understand.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.