Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Expandable Foam Hills

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Thuseld
    Participant

I made this hill from Gorilla expandable foam. I shaved off the shiny outer shell, covered in sand and painted and flocked.

You can see underneath where there is neither sand, nor have I shaved off the shine, and as such the paint looks different. Any tips to improve these? I have another few unpainted, waiting for further advice.

Mike
    Keymaster

Bread knife to slice the bottom off so it is flat?

Thuseld
    Participant

Bread knife to slice the bottom off so it is flat?

I have done that for the other hills. For sure that is the one thing I can spot that I dislike.

Mike
    Keymaster

Maybe the holes?
    They seem odd perhaps?

Can you fill them with summat and flock over them?

Thuseld
    Participant

Maybe the holes? They seem odd perhaps? Can you fill them with summat and flock over them?

I hear you on that. Part of me feels like that is more effort than this project was meant to need. I had hoped for some quick hills that I could use as mostly impassable terrain/LOS blockers.

Patrice
    Participant

It’s nice as it is. 🙂

What you could do is paint the bottom the same colour as the sides, and add a cardboard base in some places – not everywhere, perhaps just under the largest underneath gaps – and cover it with some material to look like earth and some plants, dead leaves brought by the wind, etc. as happens under real big rocks.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Mr. Average
    Participant

Frankly, I wouldn’t change it. It looks like water-slick rock where condensation tends to accumulate as it drips down the face of the hill.

Thuseld
    Participant

Thanks for all the feedback. I will have a look at these ideas. Based on the dust that comes off the bottom of my other attempts, I will likely need to base them on some card though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.