Home Forums WWII Experimenting with 3mm

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Usagitsuki
    Participant

I can’t quite remember the train of thought that got me to order some 3mm figures, but I thought I’d have a go at doing some Rommel style jungle bases. I would probably have done this in 6mm, but I don’t like any of the Japanese ranges currently available in that scale. Not sure how far this will go yet, but it’s been an interesting experiment so far. Bases are 50mm x 30mm. Figures are Oddzial Ozmy.

Some of the bases inspired by Osprey art or photos:

Wow! Those are really beautiful!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Mike
    Keymaster

Wow! Those are really beautiful!

Yup.

ian pillay
    Participant

Wow they are amazing.

Tally-Ho!

Thomaston
    Participant

Those look too good to game with. Little dioramas. I really like how you used static grass and tuft (for bamboo). The infantry you used, are they from teh Japanese set?

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Usagitsuki
    Participant

Thanks everyone. They are the Japanese infantry, though I don’t know how much difference it makes! The bamboo is 6mm static grass put on with an applicator. Then a brush of PVA across the top and dip it in some flock. The bases are pretty robust. I usually apply a few drops of a mix of PVA, water and a drop of washing-up liquid to any fragile bits of vegetation to toughen them up.

The bamboo is brilliant!

Usagitsuki
    Participant

More messing about. Some bases with trees on. 3 infantry, 1 grenade discharger, 1 armour. Also a prototype house on stilts made of balsa and card. I’m still struggling a bit as to what the scale offers that 6mm doesn’t, aside from speed and cost. I suspect the real potential of the scale lies more in the terrain.

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Speed and cost?

Not even sure they are gains over 6mm TBH. Cost for an army at these sizes are often a one off purchase with the advantage being you often buy two or three ‘sides’ over time as the cost makes it viable long term.

3mm painting time is similar to 6mm for me and again it’s normally a one off compared to the game time.

For me, it comes down to range choice and if they have to options I want – more important in fantasy than ‘traditional’ human armies.

Usagitsuki
    Participant

Re: cost, I should clarify that I use GHQ vehicles in 6mm….

Thomaston
    Participant

Oh GHQ, been there, done that.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

I dunno. I find 3mm sensibly faster than 6mm, unless you want to get into insane levels of detail which are not needed, at all.

My Romans, in particular, painted up with lightening speed.

Usagitsuki
    Participant

I’ve settled on doing groups of 3 bases that fit together to better utilise the scale space available. First go is expanding the ‘troops moving along the riverbank’ base inspired by the photo pictured earlier. 

Very nice! I am just wondering how all this will look on the table.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That looks really cool.  I love the way your trees look!  How are you doing them?  Looks like a bit more than just clump foliage…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

Like I said, wargaming with dioramas.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Usagitsuki
    Participant

That looks really cool. I love the way your trees look! How are you doing them? Looks like a bit more than just clump foliage…

It is just clump foliage. There’s some plastic bristle trunks added to give some height, but otherwise just clump foliage.

I think the key to integrating the bases is having a fair bit of scatter terrain. Though whether I will get round to doing it is a different matter. I did similar bases in 6mm: 

Usagitsuki
    Participant

Bit more stuff added.

Osprey art inspired river crossing bases:

The infantry bases with a 3rd base to make the usual infantry base triad:

A village, mostly scratchbuilt houses from balsa and card, some Monopoly houses in there as well.

And a couple of bits of ‘scatter terrain.’

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Sweeeeeeeeet.

The map like quality just increases every time.

Amazing! What are you using for that water effect?

Usagitsuki
    Participant

Amazing! What are you using for that water effect?

Thanks. It’s just gloss varnish.

Benjamin Cato
    Participant

This is very very clever. Very impressive.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Fantastic work as always!  You make your villages just as I do for my Vietnam games, little vignettes.

JozisTinMan
    Participant

These look AMAZING! My 3mm does not look this good at all.

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Usagitsuki
    Participant

Some more stuff done.

Rubber plantation

Coconut plantation:

Japanese paratroops:

A supply column:

Bamboo ‘forest:’

Wow. Just… amazing.

McKinstry
    Participant

This is a tactile visual hobby and the kind of things you are doing is superb and a very clear reason why we miniature gamers pursue this hobby. Thank you.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Usagitsuki
    Participant

Thanks very much. It’s been an interesting project so far. I think the smaller scales have more to offer in visual terms than first appears. Some figure bases integrated with the terrain. It seems to be usual to try and make 3mm figures stand out more, but I’ve deliberately gone the opposite way. While I don’t like labels on bases, some kind of marking on the edge is probably going to be inevitable for identification purposes.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Amazing work dude!  Really effective too, you could totally lose your troops visually.

Thomaston
    Participant

That’s on the same level as the sengoku jidai village.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mike
    Keymaster

Crikey.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.