Home Forums Modern F-15 Color Scheme, 1984-85?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Work has been consuming my time, but I promise that 2nd Brigade will ride again against the Red Horde!

Meanwhile, I picked up a few planes in my last Pico Armor order and I hope to play Just Jack’s air rules in the future.  I have a couple of F-15’s I am painting now, does anyone know if there were any still painted in “Air Superiority Blue” in 1984-85 era?  Having trouble telling when the switch was to gray, and I suspect it was over a several year period.

McDonnell Douglas F-15A-8-MC Eagle 73-0090 at Luke AFB. The two aircraft in this photograph are painted “air superiority blue”. (U.S. Air Force)

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance!

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Participant

Cool !!

Participant

Jozi,

I’m glad to hear you’re getting into the air stuff!  I apologize, I am absolutely useless with regards to answering your question…

But I will say that I just placed an order with Picoarmor: got some F-15s (for US and Israel), Su-27s (for USSR and China), some more MiG-29s (USSR, maybe some Russia vs Ukraine), some AV-Harriers (just released, some USMC and some Royal Navy for Falklands), some A-4s (Argentina), some Mirage IIIs (Israel and Argentina), some F-4s (for USN, I’ve already got some for USAF).  I may be forgetting something, but you get the picture.  I need to paint up some stuff I’ve got lying around, mainly MiG-21s (I’m going to go bare metal and use them for Vietnam, Middle East, maybe Cold War Europe), then MiG-15s and F-86s for MiG Alley.

The rules are coming along nicely, though I didn’t get a game in this past weekend 🙁

I’ll keep you informed, and I look forward to seeing your aircraft.  Oh, and I’ll be painting my USAF F-15s gray; I always thought that blue looked terrible 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

According to the discussion at

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/48617.aspx?sort=DESC

only the first 42 airframes were pained in Air Superiority Blue, and were repainted during their first major service.

All the best,

John.

Participant

Thanks guys!  I will go with “Compass Gray” then.  Get cracking, Just Jack!  I’ll let you know when I have planes painted if you’d like me to give the rules a spin.

Participant

You bet Jozi, the rules should be ready for playtesting in a couple weeks (I’m a little behind from not getting a game in this past weekend).

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Looking forward to it!  And just to clarify my confusing handle, Jozi is my wife, and I am her Tin Man.  Just could not include an apostrophe to show that Jozi is possessive in my username.

I hope to get a few planes knocked out this weekend, cannot wait to give the rules a spin.  I have a 1″ hex Litko spray paint template, thinking of how to get a playing surface.

Participant

You will probably find that 1″ isn’t big enough for the larger airframes.  A 1/600th F-4 is about 1 1/4″.  I have gone for a 1 1/2″ on mine for both Vietnam and the Arab Israeli conflicts and some of the newer aircraft only just fit in that size.  1″ is fine for earlier aircraft  say WWII upto Korea.

Don’t forget the USN Navy and the Commonwealth aircraft for korea

Participant

WOW!  That looks great!

Thinking about using my current favorite material, vinyl floor tiles, 12 x 12 or 18 x 18 and spraying on a hex grid.  If a plan starts to fly off the edge of my 4′ x 4′ table, I can easily shift the tiles around to give more sky. At least that is the theory.

Just Jack, I assume looking at your AAR’s   you are using hexes or squares?  Also, I am trying to flatter you by copying your missile markers, they are brilliant.

Participant

TIN MAN,

Sorry about the Jozi stuff, and I know the problems with screen names.  I’m not “Just Jack” (or “JJ”),  I’m *just* Jack, i.e., “Jack,” not “Texas Jack,” “Big Jack,” “Mexican Jack Squint,” “One-Eyed Jack,” “Jack in the Box,” etc… 😉

Don’t fret if you can’t get your stuff to look as good as CAG19’s, I certainly don’t even come close.

You mentioned being able to reposition tiles in case the fight is going off the table, which is cool, but the way I’ve been playing is that the table edge defines the battle area, and so if a plane goes off the table it’s out of the fight.  This can hurt (sometimes an aircraft is forced to make a mandatory straight and level move, which could cause it to leave the fight), or it can help (you’ve got a damaged aircraft trying to reach safety).

So far I’ve used both hexes (which I printed off on paper then glued to a cardboard mat) and squares (which I drew by hand on a blue sheet).  You don’t have to use them, but it works out easier for me (no fine measurements, compasses/protractors, turn templates, etc…)..

You’re not flattering me!  I didn’t make those, I bought them from “Fight’s On!”

Take care.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Myth buster time

I cannot paint for crap.  What changes a painted model into something a bit different tends to be a decal.

Making your own is straight forward.  Give it a go it is a game changer 🙂

Participant

CAG19,

1.  I still don’t believe you (“…can’t paint for crap…”) 😉

2.  Okay, I’ll bite: how does one go about making their own decals?

I will give it a look-see, as there is no denying you have the best looking 1/600 aircraft around.

I’m worried that you’ll tell me it’s possible, but that it will take too much time/effort, and I’m notoriously lazy…  Perhaps you might propose a business transaction?  Not that I’m well-off or anything, but if it’s a choice between time/effort (that eats into my gaming time) and money, time/effort/gaming wins every time, and I’ll pony up. 

Just from the pics above, I have some TD F-4s that are painted like crap, and I have some Pico F-86s that are bare metal, haven’t gotten any further as I know I’ll screw up the stripes.  Oh, and the A-7s, too, I really jacked them up with my paintjob…

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Time and effort…..oh dear…..

a fully decaled F-4 has (from the nose working rearwards) on each side

Modex number

Warning Triangle on the intakes

national insignia on the intakes

possibly a canopy line in red or black

NAVY

Squadron number

BuNo number

Carrier name decals

anti slip panels on the wing

anti slip on the engines

carrier wing ID on the fin

Tail Art

(24 decals up to that point)

national insignia on the wing

two letter carrier air wing on the opposite wing

(26 decals for most aircraft)

and possibly efficiency marking or in the case of the aardvark the Orange stripes taking it to 28 decals worst case

assume 15-30 seconds a decal and that gives you somewhere between 7 and 14 minutes not including drying time or varnishing or cutting out the decals…..yeah time consuming

Participant

Try this page if decals if you want to trying printing out your own

or just do a search for decals in the search pane on my blog

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.