Home Forums General Blogs Fantasy Blog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks

I have started a fantasy blog that will cover all things fantasy, only did it last night.
    But if you fancy reading my fantasy ramblings, here is the link:

https://theburningsands.blogspot.com/

Steelonsand
    Participant

Cool ! – more ramblings on the genre are always welcome – will follow with interest – oh, and couldn’t agree more about ‘Comedy sidekicks’ – they are a plague and a blight on so many productions – I was very disappointed with the sequel to the original Conan TB, namely 1984’s Conan the Destroyer – particularly as the script was Roy Thomas based, and given his work on the comics, thought it could have been so much better…….

Michael Basset’s Solomon Kane in 2009 had a lot of problems that might have shocked the purists, but as you point out thankfully was a mature enough narrative to avoid a cretinous companion, and all the better for it……

hope to see more from you soon

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Put me down as another that finds the comedy sidekicks of fantasy films tiresome. There are exceptions. One that springs to mind (though admittedly from another genre) is that useless jailor-type from The Mummy. For some reason I find him endlessly amusing, and of course don’t shed too many tears when he reaps the harvest he so richly deserves. But for every good example there seem to be several bad; I’m still peeved at what Mr Jackson did to Gimli. Grrrr!

I too really look forward to your upcoming rambles. A discussion of what fantasy films you like and why would be most entertaining, and would likely give me some ideas for future viewing (never seen Solomon Kane, for example). If the spirit is willing, a discussion of what films are, to your mind, the worst, could be just as much fun.

Anyway, congratulations on the new blog, Michael! I’m looking forward to your future musings!

Daryl

Angel Barracks

Thanks for the comments, extra thanks to Darkest Star Games who posted on the blog, so it seems less unloved to those not aware of here…

😛

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

No problemo!

Now I’ve just got to remember to check your blog on occasion…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

I totally agree with the world threat. For me at least it makes the whole story less believable and probably contributes to needing to force magic into the plot to solve the problem.

Another thing is the hero in fantasy movies seems to always be overpowered by the end, killing the world threat bad guy bespite being a normal average Joe at the beginning of the movie. It gets old fast and feels like I’m watching the same movie over again.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Angel Barracks

No problemo!

Now I’ve just got to remember to check your blog on occasion…

or subscribe with the subscribe/follow options?

😀

OldBen1
    Participant

Looks great.  Your new roads are really nice!

Angel Barracks

Blog update, possibly likely to upset some people too?

kyoteblue
    Participant

Cool.

OldBen1
    Participant

Hey I read your blog again and I really enjoyed it.

Good Fantasy movies are hard to find.  I hate when they shoehorn the comedic element into the story.  The Hobbit was an absolute travesty.

As for the racism and misogyny, well at least we notice it and acknowledge it.  Maybe we like them because they represent some of the old school values.  So long as we move forward and create some new heroes(strong, intelligent, women), I think we are on the right path.

Thomaston
    Participant

I have never felt like anyone should have to explain themselves. You do you! There will always be someone who is offended by something. So as long as you’re not intentionally throwing out offense (offense is taken not given) I see no problem with your Conan fandom.

Edit: actually I encourage it, I see it as a test of how tollerant society really is.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Angel Barracks
    OldBen1
    Participant

I watched some of the clips from your list.  Barbarian Queen is pretty funny.

Mike
    Keymaster

Updated my blog, inspiring film and show reviews for gaming mojo revival.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.