Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Fantasy cottages in 28mm

• This topic has 17 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Mike.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    6mmwargaming
    Participant

While I have a ton of Skaven and other fantasy figures to paint along with a Reaper Bones 3 kickstarter arriving in a few months, I have a hankering to make some more terrain. I generally enjoy making terrain more than painting figures and I want to expand my fantasy collection with some old school fantasy buildings.

The first new building is this old fantasy cottage which featured in an early White Dwarf magazine. I made one in the early 90s (but lost it somewhere along the way) and now I plan to make 2 more and then follow it with some of the other classic GW buildings like the stables, townhouse and so forth.

The basic shape cut from black foamboard

Some windows and doors cut out. I have kept it deliberately simple as that as the intention of the original design

Some details. I’ve cut away the end of the wall to create a better joint and started on a chimney

BTW you can find the instructions here
    http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.nz/2014/02/a-dark-deranged-structure-old-school.html

More soon

6mmwargaming
    Participant

I’ve made a small bit of progress last night on this. I cut the pieces for the second cottage and started on the windows and completed most of the chimney.

The Windows are mounted on card and the mesh is flyscreen door mesh. I’ve started on the timber frame of the Windows using some balsa wood.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

And a little more progress

I’ve completed the windows and started on the roofs, doors and a extension for one of the cottages.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

And now some work on the roof tiles cut from card. I pre-cut a bunch while watching TV over a few nights.

Also I finished assembling the lean-to and did a little more on the doors.

And next I marked out where the balsa wood will go.

Paul
    Participant

These are very cool. Please continue posting.
    I might have to do some for SoBH.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

6mmwargaming
    Participant

Thanks, I also plan to use them for SoBH

I’ve made some progress and they are starting to look like buildings now!

I’ve detailing and texturing the buildings using balsa and coloured caulk. I should have really painted the balsa before gluing it on but I was impatient.

And I finished the lean-to and textured it

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by 6mmwargaming.
    6mmwargaming
    Participant

More progress, now the second cottage is finished

And the roofs are done after many nights of gluing down individual tiles! I will add a center line once it is glued onto the building

Thanks

Patrice
    Participant

Nice!

…And it could almost be historical too.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

6mmwargaming
    Participant

Finished the cottages!  🙂

I glued the walls together and inserted pins to help hold them together. Then I cut and glued the end balsa wood pieces on the and then fitted the roofs. But somehow I managed to stuff up the measurements so the roofs were not wide enough.   So I quickly pulled apart the walls and chopped about 10mm off each of the main walls. After that little disaster the buildings went back together well and you wouldn’t know. So I’m very happy with how they came out.

First Cottage

Second Cottage

Cheers

6mmwargaming
    Participant

I’ve almost finished painting the cottages, but as I was painting them I noticed the black spray painted melted most of the chimneys 

So I have pulled them off and made new ones (which are slightly better I think)

6mmwargaming
    Participant

I’ve finished the first cottage and I’m very pleased with it. I went with a blue grey slate tiled roof and a creamy daub colour with a few washes similar to the original colours. I haven’t decided how I will base it yet since I want to have a detailed base but that limits its uses, so I might try and keep the building removeable.

The second cottage is almost finished, I’m just waiting on a some paint to dry.

Paul
    Participant

Very nice. Love the colours. Im working on a Necromunda terrain piece (a crematorium), and will have to do one of these once complete.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

irishserb
    Participant

Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing it.

Silurian
    Participant

Those are excellent. Relatively quick and very effective. I admire your painting too.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

Thanks guys

The photos are a bit washed out and dont show the contrast very well.

darthfozzywig
    Participant

Very nice!

This brings back fond memories – that article was the first building I ever made.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

And here’s the second cottage with some more bad photos

You can see the chimney part I replaced and I might replace the bottom part one day as it is pretty melted. I tried to disguise it with some moss…

And with a 28mm Dark ages Irishman for scale. Most of my fantasy stuff is on thicker bases but the scale is good.

Cheers
    Kieran

Mike
    Keymaster

Oooh nice work.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.