Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Fantasy games need:

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Keymaster

More quicksand…

More elephants…

Grimheart
    Participant

More alcohol?

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Dare I say it but more balanced armies? Over the course of my gaming life I’ve seen oh so many games ruined by uber armies, despite a wealth of wonderful background fluff. Mind you the same could be said of historical games, with Germans always having Tigers, or in the ACW the Iron Brigade etc etc.

kyoteblue
    Participant

More 15 mm figures.

Paul
    Participant

Big heroes who can stand against hordes of minions.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Ducks.

More poses in 15mm packs.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Maff Sparkes
    Participant

More figures in the Copplestone “Barbarica” range.

Etranger
    Participant

Ducks. …

That was close…

Ahem, those Ducks? Oh yes please, in 15mm.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Etranger.
    General Slade
    Participant
    Sane Max
    Participant

more 20mm plastics. always baffled no-one tried to release much for that.

The recent releases from Caesar show what could be done, but they are too generic for, say, Warhammer Fantasy players

Mike
    Keymaster

always baffled no-one tried to release much for that.

Plastics are pretty expensive to get to market, it may be viable for a product that loads of people want/use/play, such as WWII, Napoleonics etc…
    But I suspect not so much for fantasy.

Mr. Average
    Participant

…more 6mm scale ranges and more days in the week so I can paint them.

Thomaston
    Participant

More consistent quality and scale.

Tired is enough.

Sane Max
    Participant

always baffled no-one tried to release much for that.

Plastics are pretty expensive to get to market, it may be viable for a product that loads of people want/use/play, such as WWII, Napoleonics etc…
    But I suspect not so much for fantasy.

I know that argument – But Caesar managed it (with mixed results – their dwarves are little crackers, the undead perfectly good, and some of the other boxes fair) – but I couldn’t do, say, a dwarf fantasy Warhammer army in 20 mm ‘cos I would have to scratch-build half the army as most of it’s not in the one box. So it’s not cost that’s the issue , it’s availability within the ranges

Mike
    Keymaster

I know that argument – But Caesar managed it (with mixed results – their dwarves are little crackers, the undead perfectly good, and some of the other boxes fair) – but I couldn’t do, say, a dwarf fantasy Warhammer army in 20 mm ‘cos I would have to scratch-build half the army as most of it’s not in the one box. So it’s not cost that’s the issue , it’s availability within the ranges

Did they break even though, are they still hugely in debt due to the tooling costs?

Fredd Bloggs
    Participant

Well Mr Average I can inform you, more 6mm Fantasy is coming from Rapier Miniatures this year.

Private Snafu
    Participant

Economies

Mr. Average
    Participant

Well Mr Average I can inform you, more 6mm Fantasy is coming from Rapier Miniatures this year.

Far out! Now all I need is for you and Microworld to set about getting us on a 32-hour day so I have time to finish all my armies!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Fantasy games also need a good set of non-proprietary rules for naval combat to go with the Microworld fantasy ships when they come out!

Etranger
    Participant
    Logain
    Participant

More human characters in 6mm. It seems that unlike 15 or 28, most 6mm fantasy humans that are available are just recycled historical armies. They might have a leader, musician, and standard bear (perfectly adequate for historical) but lack the heroes, wizards and other special characters common to fantasy rules.

Non-human/non-historical buildings for 6mm or 10mm would be another one.

Sane Max
    Participant

Did they break even though, are they still hugely in debt due to the tooling costs?

who knows, it was a fair few years ago now, they are still going and so I have to assume yes 🙂

They sold out on my usual shops, and they had to do a re-issue. So someone bought them, other than me.

Adrian Arnold
    Participant

Dare I say it but more balanced armies? Over the course of my gaming life I’ve seen oh so many games ruined by uber armies, despite a wealth of wonderful background fluff. Mind you the same could be said of historical games, with Germans always having Tigers, or in the ACW the Iron Brigade etc etc.

Bit of thread necromancy…

But I agree – it’s basically this that was the reason my group left the merry-go-round of commercial releases as each new force seemed to have more & more special rules compared with the last. It got to the point where it felt like it was purely to push the latest & shiniest models – which is fair enough for a business… but for us it just felt too blatant after a certain point.

Nowadays I’m still working on our own rulesets – Balanced? Possibly not – but all the units work from the same formula for stat/point cost so they are at least consistent.

Mike
    Keymaster

True, back in the early days of WFB 2nd Edition, we played loads, but soon limited magic to level 1 battle magic only.
    Then we started dropping flyers.

Then we wrote our own rule set that was pretty much a historical set with a few fantasy add ons, the idea being to make it about tactics and not winning because you have the latest £50.00 hero model..

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

the idea being to make it about tactics and not winning because you have the latest £50.00 hero model..

THIS is the sort of game I am interested in.  I have stopped playing a lot of games because of the syndrome mentioned above, just kills the game for me.  Some of the most enjoyable games I have played were just plain old grunts slogging it out, not uber units to skew things.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mike
    Keymaster

Uber units always roll the crappest anyway?

Adrian Arnold
    Participant

the idea being to make it about tactics and not winning because you have the latest £50.00 hero model..

THIS is the sort of game I am interested in. I have stopped playing a lot of games because of the syndrome mentioned above, just kills the game for me. Some of the most enjoyable games I have played were just plain old grunts slogging it out, not uber units to skew things.

Join the club 🙂 Our rulesets have some mods for command units they can use to sieze initiative and you can add a few upgrades to them if you want slightly shinier commanders, but the rules have been designed to avoid the whole hero-hammer type approach…

Mike
    Keymaster

Though for Burning Sands, you NEED uber heroes!!

Rhoderic
    Participant

There are dozens of subgenres of fantasy, standing opposed to each other in terms of what they “need”. From what I’ve seen, all separate (and disparate) needs are being catered for ten times over, at least as far as rulesets are concerned. Some games are about larger-than-life warrior heroes, others are about command-and-control grunt-herding. Some games are competitive, others take a more narrative approach. Some games channel REH, some channel Tolkien, some channel OTT comic books and cartoons, some channel Brian Froud, and so on.

Outside of rules, I can think of one thing fantasy games need: More high-production-value magazine articles, terrain-building tutorials, inspirational photos, and other content of that sort. They are my sustenance. One thing I miss about my GW fanboy days is curling up with the latest issue of White Dwarf, back when that magazine was still decent.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Though for Burning Sands, you NEED uber heroes!!

Oh yes, but that’s a different sort of game as compared to a WFB or warband type game.  You’re not building armies In Burning Sands, and you’re telling a story rather than competing against an opponent.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Angel Barracks

Outside of rules, I can think of one thing fantasy games need: More high-production-value magazine articles, terrain-building tutorials, inspirational photos, and other content of that sort. They are my sustenance. One thing I miss about my GW fanboy days is curling up with the latest issue of White Dwarf, back when that magazine was still decent.

Ahhhh the dream!!

ian pillay
    Participant

More 20mm plastics for sure and tactical mass battle rules with monsters and magic…

Tally-Ho!

Is there something you need that Dark Alliance/Red Box hasn’t produced yet?

Thorsten Frank
    Participant

For sure: NO DUCKS! (Just kidding, Glorantha fans)

As I mentioned before*: slavic inspired stuff (for inspiration Wolfhound/of the Grey Hound Clan or, well, The Witcher books, games and telly series) – especially relevant for Burning Sands or RPGs IMHO.
    Cilvilized Africans. Think of the Eritrean Christian kingdom with it´s armoured warriors during the crusades.
    South and South-East Asia are also underrepresented – and that´s a bit sad. One just has to take a look at the reliefs from Angkor Wat: lot´s of half naked warriors wielding swords and spears! Perfect for the southern sea (oh, and some Polynesians and Maori would be interesting too**)

Oh, and still more desert stuff!!!! MUCH MORE DESERT STUFF!

*Yeah, I know, I keep repeating myself over and over again…
    ** and Indonesians – have you ever taken a look at the Toraja people, their architecture, burial rites, clothing etc? Southern sea again!

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Etranger
    Participant

F… South and South-East Asia are also underrepresented – and that´s a bit sad. One just has to take a look at the reliefs from Angkor Wat: lot´s of half naked warriors wielding swords and spears! Perfect for the southern sea (oh, and some Polynesians and Maori would be interesting too**)

In 15mm there are suitable historical ranges for eg Dayaks (someone does a range of Brooke in Borneo/White Raja figures), Montagnards (Peter Pig, in their Vietnam range include some with traditional weapons)and Eureka (Hawaiians, sort of Polynesian and including the Big Kahuna, also lots of  North American figures).  Eureka also have  lot s of suitable figures in 28mm too.

Thorsten Frank
    Participant

@Etranger: Yes, I know all of them and Irregular has some fine Khmer, Burmese and Thai minis to make the list even more complete but I find they aren´t or, to make it a bit clearer, fit well in certain types (like sword and sorcery) campaigns. But that´s from my humble point of view.

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.