Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Fantasy Italian Wars

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Average
    Participant

This is an old project that has come back to life for me when I realized that the Dwarf ships from Microworld share a style that is applicable to the Steampunk Renaissance line they have for their 6mm figures! It hadn’t occurred to me. So I ordered some ships (and restocked on Pistolieri and Pikemen) and, with a rare long weekend in the post, I’m going to have a shot at doing some of this!

A huge thanks to Steve at Microworld who also threw in some previews of other fleets for me: a trio of little lateen-rigged Feluccas which I’m going to paint up as neutral Genoese, and two hulking Orkish or Ratkin corsairs, which are just out of sight models. And it just so happens that I’m in the process of working up a map for the campaign in Hexkit, to play using the old Mighty Empires rule set.

Jon Goodwins
    Participant

Sounds interesting (and ambitious?!) I tried a 3 player Kings of War Campaign a couple of years back using Mighty Empires, it struggled to accumulate momentum partly due to the low number of actual F2F games we were able to achieve. Our “random-esque/Oz like” campaign map gave all sides plenty of scope to explore prior to “rubbing shoulders” with an opponent. It strikes me that Italy being “long & narrow” will lead more rapidly to confrontation with potential for some sides to suffer early, unrecoverable, set backs?

Mr. Average
    Participant

It’s entirely possible. Venice will have to make the most of her navy, Florence will have to consolidate the center. I’m playing solitaire so it hardly matters “fair” and “balanced.” Tipping the scales are the great powers – in the East, the Fallen Empire, the necromantic remnants of the Byzantine Empire. To the North, France and the Holy Roman Empire. To the Northeast, Poland-Lithuania, known colloquially as Sozinski’s Redoubt after the Voivode of Krakow who is holding the last sliver of free Eastern Europe against the Great Enemy. To the West, Spain and Portugal, both focused on affairs in the New World and trying to lay plans to evacuate their people to New Granada and Hy-Brasíl if the worst should befall and the Great Enemy sweeps civilization from Europe.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Florentine Pikemen take the line!

Mike
    Keymaster

Cool cool cool.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Some fleet action in preparation: Venetian Steam Galleys, Florentine “da Vinci” submersibles, Genoese Feluccas and Ratkin slavers. My only wish would be that the masts on the steam ships be a little deeper drilled: even with instant glues they are a bit of a bear to assemble and so far have defied my attempts to pin them. But the result is terrific!

Mr. Average
    Participant

I’m very happy with the multi-base look. The lines play very well at this scale and for the setting.

Mike
    Keymaster

Yup. No need to put all that on a single base. Looks good and much more flexibility.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Thanks, Mike! This is a project some years in development, with a lot of experimentation and false starts. I’m happy to have finally had the chance to get it running on a really thoroughgoing way, and I’m happy with the results so far!

Mr. Average
    Participant

The full line of Pikemen finally took shape. And to keep their flanks secure, the first unit of Pistoleers riding their res Romagna Chargers.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Elite swordsmen – these guys carry German-style Zweihander swords and are quite effective in breaking lines of pikemen and other polearm weapons.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.