Home Forums Fantasy Burning Sands Burning Sands

Tagged: 

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 315 total)
  • Author
    Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

hmmmm imagine a better cover in terms of quality but:

Thomaston
    Participant

Cool, I think the only negative I see is the base overlapping the miniature to the bottom right. How about put him on a layer over the base? Also blending/blur background of the minis to the book background.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Oh yeah that is a crap version. It is just a mock up. It was more for the title names really.

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Looks great, although I really like that Greek swirly pattern along the edges of the cards.  It would make a great border.  font works really well too.  What about some sort of symbol?  Something that looks good on a t shirt.

I like sand and sorcery.   A game of high adventure!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by OldBen1OldBen1.
    StroezieStroezie
    Participant

That’s looking good there Michael.

You will of course have to wait untill you have a “propper” Erland miniature to put on there no? 

Also what OldBen1 said

Sand and Sorcery. A game of high adventure!

Cheers,

Stroezie.

If you like small scale skirmish, check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Hmmmmm still not sure on the name, but I am outvoted!

😀

The sculptor tells me hopefully within 10 days I will have a new Erland and Eydis figure.

wooop

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

I still think the Legend of Crom’s Anvil is the best choice.  Sand and sorcery at the bottom is cool too.

jagannath
    Participant

Can’t wait for the next Crom Funder!!

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

I really do like the “The Legends of Crom’s Anvil”.  I like “Sand And Sorcery” too, but what if I want a game that can be set in the wild north lands?  Or jungled east?  Perhaps “A sword and sorcery game of high adventure” would better describe it?  (I know you intend it for desert for your works, but you know how people can be…)  And for a cover pic, why not show your hero engaged in a scrum with baddies, your buildings and whatnot in the background?  A sort of “action shot” close up?

I too like the idea of a logo that can go on shirts and whatnot.  Would wear.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Just refought the second of the Chronicles using my rules.

Did the scenario 10 times.
    6 games with no loss of Vitality to Eydis.
    2 games where she did take some damage.
    2 games where she died.

The games where she died happened to be games where she rushed into combat using Available Vitality points to do so, this left her less Available Vitality for tasks and when the dice did not go her way, (they got lots of high rolls) she did not have the vitality to defend/withdraw.

Will try Chronicle number three soon.

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Who were the villains in the scenario?

Who were the villains in the scenario?

It was a re-fight of my second chronicle as originally detailed HERE

I did take some notes and crappy photo’s so will get these on here tomorrow.

😀

Late now and I have persuaded Mrs Barracks/Anvil to watch The Scorpion King with me.

😀

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Skip the end with the dodgy CGI!

Knocked up a more practical group card.

You place your BAD GUY* card on the card space so you can see the stats.

Then you record each models Vitality Stat and Available Vitality Pool using the spaces provided.

*still need a better name.

So here is a rough write up of me re-playing the second of The Chronicles of Crom’s Anvil, this time using my own rules.

Eydis has camped at an oasis and upon returning from hunting discovers some bandits poking about her tent and camel.
    (excuse the clutter and lack of edited images, this is just to help show the rules in action)

Here I am using d6 to represent the Vitality Stat for each bandit and some of my little metal skulls as Available Vitality.

TURN ONE

We roll for initiative adding up the vitality of each side.
    Eydis is therefore d6+6
    The bandits are d6 +11 (4 bandits at Vitality 2 and the bandit chief at Vitality 3)
    Clearly, the bandits win and get to go first.
    However with them not having LOS to Eydis they continue to poke around her campsite.
    So with no Available Vitality spent by the bandits, the turn passes to Eydis.
    Not wanting to alert them too soon, she decides to sneak into the bushes and get as close as possible before attacking the thieving dogs.
    She performs a sneaking task.
    She spends 1 Available Vitality from her pool and rolls her prowess to see how far she moves.
    She gets 16. However as this is a sneak, she only moves half of this.
    With this being a sneak, there is a chance of discovery, so to determine just how stealthy she is, we make another prowess roll (this time for free) and this becomes the level of her stealthy sneakiness.
    She gets 12.
    With the bandits only having a Wits of 1, there is no way these clueless dogs can equal or exceed 12 so we don’t even bother to roll.
    However, 8cm is not close enough. She makes another sneak task, rolls 12 which becomes 6cm and this takes her to the edge of the bushes.
    She again makes a free sneak roll and gets 15. Even stealthier than before.

She has 4 Available Vitality, rather than spend more on moving and be out in the open with a reduced Available Vitality pool, she rests a moment.

She spends no more Available Vitality (AV from now on) and neither do the bandits as they are blissfully unaware of what is about to happen.

TURN TWO

Again, the bandits can’t lose so they go first, but again with nothing to actually do the turn passes to Eydis.
    She spends an AV and bursts out from the bushes and toward the startled bandits.
    She rolls a prowess task and gets 11. So she moves 11cm. This gets her into HTH.

She spends another AV to attack the first bandit, he spends 1 AV to defend.
    Eydis rolls 10 and the bandits rolls 2…
    The bandit loses and takes a point of damage.

When you take a point of damage, you reduce the Vitality Stat by 1 and you remove 1 AV from the pool.
    He used 1 AV to defend and just lost 1 from the wound, he is currently on 0 AV.

Eydis spends another AV to attack him and as he has no AV he cannot defend.
    He takes a point of damage and again we reduce his Vitality Stat and his AV by 1 each.
    This now takes him to 0 Vitality Stat, so he is slain!

Eydis has 3 AV left.
    She uses 1 to attack the other bandit and he uses 1 to defend.
    12 vs 8.
    However within the 12 that Eydis rolled was a 6.
    A roll with a 6 denotes a critical hit, and critical hits do 2 points of damage, so we reduce the bandits Vitality Stat by 2 and his AV by 2.
    This takes his Vitality Stat to 0 so he too spills his life onto the sand and is killed.

Eydis has 2 AV left and rather than spend them on anything rash, she opts to save them and passes the turn to the bandits.

The bandit group uses 1 of their AV to move get 9 so advance 9cm toward Eydis.
    If they use their last AV to move even closer then they will have nothing to defend with so they hesitate.
    The bandit chief however has 3 AV so he spends one and moves closer, he rolls badly so spends another AV to move up behind his thugs.

At this point everyone is a bit cautious about running at each other, the pause, size each other up, catch their breath.
    (They do not want to spend their remaining AV so we start a new turn)

TURN THREE

Initiative this time is
    Eydis d6+6
    The bandits d6+7 (they have lost their advantage of numbers so they had less Vitality to modify their roll with)

Eydis wins the roll.
    She spends 1 AV to run at the group and when there spends 1 AV to attack the first bandit.
    15 vs 6.

Not only does Eydis win but that roll of 15 had a 6 so it is a critical and does double damage, which is enough to take down a lowly dog like this bandit scum.
    She spends 1 AV to attack the other bandit (this leaves her AV at 3).
    8 vs 10.
    The bandit wins and causes a point of damage to Eydis!
    She loses 1 from her Vitality Stat and 1 from her AV pool, taking her down to 2 AV.
    She uses 1 AV to attack him again. She gets 14 with a 6 in there and as such the critical finishes him off too!

She has 1 AV left, rather than waste it she grabs a breath and waits to see what he does, sensing her hesitance he rushes in using 1 of his 3 AV.
    He spends 1 AV to attack Eydis.
    Eydis spends her last AV to defend.
    The gods are smiling on her today, she rolls and gets 6,6,3. Vs 9.
    She wins and gets yet another critical hit on these dogs.
    This takes the Bandit Chiefs Vitality Stat from 3 to 1 and wipes out his remaining AV.
    Both on 0 AV we start a new turn.

TURN FOUR

Initiative is now

Eydis d6+5
    Bandit d6+1

Eydis wins and finishes off the leader of these dogs.

She heads off to Simurgh to rest and heal.

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Oh baby, that looks perfect!  Could laminate and use it as a bookmark in an official rule book.

bad guys could be:

villains       Opponent    Opposition    Advesary

Antagonists       scoundrel     Ruffian

Foe.   Hooligan.    Miscreant        rogue.  Rival

Good suggestions.
    Villain is winning I think.

So because you have Characters and Groups of Villains. You will need 2 cards.

The one where you use a single card that shows the type of Villains and the one where you have a single card for your Hero with space for their Abilities.

Here I have roughly printed out one of each type of card and put some dice on to show the Vitality Stat and wee skulls for Available Vitality Points.

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Awesome.  Seems like it works well to me.  With the added campaign rules you could have a series of skirmishes as part of a larger narrative.

I’ve got a long weekend.  I’m playing for sure.  I’ve got some guards and bandits on the way from coppelstone.  I have to finish that fantasy village!

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

This all sounds good.

StroezieStroezie
    Participant

Those villain and hero cards look really good!

Are they seperate from the stat cards or do you print them out as one?

I like the idea of a blank template with swappable stat cards.

Oh darn, now you’ve got me thinking of making a deluxe set with magnetic paper

Cheers,

Stroezie.

If you like small scale skirmish, check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Those villain and hero cards look really good! Are they seperate from the stat cards or do you print them out as one? I like the idea of a blank template with swappable stat cards. Oh darn, now you’ve got me thinking of making a deluxe set with magnetic paper Cheers, Stroezie.

Separate, I have printed mine onto stickers and affixed them to some card/paper.
    With them being separate you only need a few of each and you just pop the model stat card on top:

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Pretty professional!

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Very cool looking!

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

This all looks good to me – very nice Mike

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Played 3 test games of The Legends of Crom’s Anvil last night.

It was Erlander vs. 3 Goblins in a ruined temple.  I used the Bandit cards as stand ins until my soldiers arrive!

All 3 games saw Erlander defeat the villains, although the last game he lost 3 vitality very early.  This meant that he did not have enough vitality to defend himself properly.  I liked making the vitality decisions, especially pushing my luck when I knew I might be able to kill my enemies in the next turn.

I am using 10mm Coppelstone miniatures.  Here is the board:

Untitled by oldben1[/url], on Flickr

I also came up with a neat way to track my vitality pool.  I painted up some wooden disks to look like little old copper coins.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by OldBen1OldBen1.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by OldBen1OldBen1.
    MikeMike
    Keymaster

coins eh, good idea.
    I use skulls, but they are quite fiddly…

Hoping to do some more play testing over the next 2 weeks, also messing about with optional/advanced rules.

Things like armour and fighting styles.

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

Hoping to do some more play testing over the next 2 weeks, also messing about with optional/advanced rules. Things like armour and fighting styles.

That’s good to read; I’m almost ready to help – just a few more figures to finish

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Currently on vacation in Vancouver!  I still want to play some games with skeletons and a sorcerer.  I still have your email explaining everything!

Maybe you should save the advanced rules for an upgrade?

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I think I will stick the advanced bits in the main rules so it is better value.
    However once I have sold a decent amount of copies, I will support them with free downloads via my own site, such as background, scenarios, bestiary etc..

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

This i like.  Everyone loves a freebie!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Has anyone suggestions for what to use to track the Available Vitality?

I could use a d6, but that is not as visually exciting as I would like.
    Currently I am using 15mm skulls, but they are a touch fiddly.
    I know one chap is using tiny coins, which seems pretty cool.

Any ideas?

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

SPacejacker made some really cool Crom coins.  Perhaps a little big but way cooler than what I did.  He made some sort of quick mold.

Maybe an abacus type of thing, or scales perhaps? (I’m thinking about the theme)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by OldBen1OldBen1.
    MikeMike
    Keymaster

Those ARE cool.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Just found THIS SITE.….

cmnashcmnash
    Participant
    OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

I like the coins myself.  The tokens are nice too, although the coins go more with the theme.  The Persian ones would do nicely, and they seem pretty cheap.  You could even get different denominations to represent 3 or 5 or 10.

Apparently the picture I posted are of resin coins painted.  Real ones would have a cool feel to them.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

The coins are possibly a bit big. I will have to make some card ones and see how they feel.

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

You could probably make a pretty cool coin with a little wooden disk and some sculpty.  They need to be relatively flat to stack.

What about something with dials.  I have a Magic the gathering counter with little windows to dial the numbers up or down.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 315 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.