Home Forums Fantasy Burning Sands Burning Sands

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 317 total)
  • Author

A dial thing may work, for now until I settle on the perfect markers I am using these skull beads I got from ebay for next to nothing.

The bone look of the skulls (actually plastic) goes with the bone look of my dice (actually bone)

Participant

Those are perfect!

Participant

Where did you find those plastic skull markers? Love ’em!

eBay Day of The Dead plastic beads.
    Cheap as anything.

Participant

How cool is that!

Participant

Thank you, Michael. Tucking this away…

Participant

She spends another AV to attack the first bandit, he spends 1 AV to defend. Eydis rolls 10 and the bandits rolls 2… The bandit loses and takes a point of damage.  

What happens if the attacker and defender both roll the same score? For example, if the bandit above rolled double 5 (instead of double 1) so both he and Eydis rolled 10, would they both hit or would they both miss?

Thanks,

Kevin

Highest wins and causes damage.
    So in the case of no highest, no damage.
    This gives the advantage to those with higher vitality as they can try again/keep going compared to those with low vitality who may be exhausted at the endless dodging and parrying.

Participant

Thank you.

Participant

Your cards remind me of those playmats for card games like Magic.  Great idea.

Whilst I wait for my wolf teeth to arrive to use as Available Vitality markers for the Heroes, I ordered some coins for the Villains as I thought money would better reflect their source of energy….

These are Feng Shui coins and can be found online in many places, very very cheap, but they do come with a loop/hook that needs to be cut off.

Participant

I really like cards, not sure why but the visual helps manage the game.  I’ve been looking at another set of rules and they have a lot of info to remember.  Maybe too much.  I think the coins add some flavor as well.

Keymaster

I really like cards, not sure why but the visual helps manage the game.

Thanks, I used them in my previous rules and they really helped with info and the look of the game there too.

Participant

Yesterday evening a couple of friends came round and so we decided to try out the rules. We ran the first scenario (with the wolves) a couple of times, taking turns for each of them to play the barbarian hero while the other played the wolves.

In the first game both groups of wolves used 1 AV to move towards the hero and then waited, saving their remaining AV to defend if she attacked. The hero had to use 2 of her AV to move in to contact with the first group of wolves (poor dice rolling on the first move task) and then used the remaining 4 AV to kill all 3 of them. The second group of wolves then used their remaining AV to move closer.

On the next turn the wolves moved into combat with the hero and managed to inflict a wound and a critical before they were dispatched.

In the second game, both players were more cautious. Both groups of wolves used 1 AV to move towards each other so that all 6 were together in place, each with a remaining AV to defend if attacked. The hero used 2 AV to move into contact with the wolf on one end of the line, 2 AV to kill it and the last 2 AV to move away again. In the following turns the wolves warily advanced towards the hero, saving an AV to defend if attacked, while the hero used 1 or 2 AV to move in, a few more to attack and hopefully kill a wolf or 2 and then use the last 2 AV to move away again. This worked quite well for the hero until one of the wolves got a critical, leaving the hero with less AV remaining to move away. On the following turn the surviving wolves closed in for the kill but were unable to repeat their previous success and the hero managed to kill them…just.

Both players picked up the rules quickly and enjoyed the game – if I’d had some suitable figures for the bandits we’d probably have tried the second scenario too.

Kevin

Keymaster

Cool. They are pretty quick and you can fly through several scenarios in an hour or so.

Human foes next time?

Participant

Although I don’t have that many 15mm figures I should be able to find something to stand in for bandits in the second and third scenarios.

By the way, I assume that thrown weapons (axes and spears as in Beyond the Black River) work in the same way as shooting with bows, but with a shorter range?

Thanks,

Kevin

Yeah, not had chance to figure out what that range would be best as in testing, though I am thinking 10cm per point of prowess.
    Which is 20cm for a regular Villain type, which feels about right.
    You could try 10cm per point of vitality, which would of course mean that as you tire you cant throw as far, but it would give heroes a crazy range.

Participant

Thanks Mike. 10cm per point of prowess sounds right to me.

Participant

Yesterday my second Crom’s Anvil order arrived in the post (lots of new buildings etc. for my version of Simurgh) and I also received some more Mark Copplestone barbarians and Picts from North Star.

Having based and primed a few of the Picts I decided to use them as the local tribesmen in another test scenario – our 2 heroes vs. 2 groups of 3 warriors, 2 groups of 2 archers and a leader. The barbarians were using rocky outcrops to cover their stealthy approach so the bad guys were unable to react until Erland got a very low stealth roll and one group of warriors managed to roll 6s on their wits test and used their 2 AV to move towards the rocks to investigate. The heroes rushed out from behind the rocks, each having to use 2 AV to reach the enemy (lots of poor dice rolls for movement tasks in this game!), used 2 more AV to slay all 3 and then 2 more AV to dash back behind the rocks before the others could react.

The remaining tribesmen then used their AV to move toward the rocks, with the archers on the flanks, hoping to get line of sight around the rocks (but not this turn – more poor movement rolls).

On turn 2 the tribesmen continued to advance, with archers using 1 AV to move and 1 AV to shoot at the heroes, who each had to use 2 AV to dodge the arrows. The heroes then each used 2 more AV to charge the archers. Erland used his remaining 2AV to slay his group, but Eydis only managed to wound one and took a critical hit from the other.

On turn 3 the remaining group of warriors used 1 AV to move into contact with Erland and their remaining AV to attack him, losing 2 of their number but the last one inflicted a critical hit, leaving Erland only 1 AV to strike back, which he used to good effect, slaying the last warrior.

Meanwhile the archers attacked Eydis, but she slew both of them before the leader moved in and inflicted another critical hit on her.

On turn 4 the heroes won the initiative and Erland had to use 3 AV to charge across the battlefield and then used his last AV to inflict a critical hit on the leader. This allowed Eydis to strike the fatal blow, leaving the 2 wounded heroes to loot the bodies before limping back to Simurgh.

Keymaster

Huzzah!!

used 2 more AV to slay all 3

That was they both used 2 AV each (so 4 in total) to kill the 3 Villains?

Participant

Sounds like a lot of fun. Are you playing solo? Thank you for the AAR!

Participant

That was they both used 2 AV each (so 4 in total) to kill the 3 Villains?

Yes, 2 AV each – Eydis inflicted a critical on one of them, killing him, and wounded a second. Erland then killed the other unwounded one with a critical and then inflicted another wound on the one that Eydis had wounded, killing him too.

Participant

Sounds like a lot of fun. Are you playing solo? Thank you for the AAR!

You’re welcome.

This one was a solo game – it was fun to play. Towards the end I wondered if Eydis was going to make it – one more poor attack roll from her and a critical from the opposition would have finished her off…

Keymaster

There is now an official game reports topic using the soon to be released rules here:

LEGENDS OF SIMURGH

Like the ones I did when playing CROM!, but new and with my own rules.

Starting to get some images into the rules now…

Just working on a simple ‘bestiary’ also, what else would you expect to see:

Villain:
    Villain Leader:
    Significant Character:
    Typical Sorcerer:
    Hound/Wolf:
    Giant Scorpion:
    Giant Ape:
    Giant Snake:
    Big Cat:
    Skeleton:
    Ghoul:
    Desert Worm:
    Crocodile:
    Harpy:

Participant

Some flavour of summoned demon / devil

Depending upon how different they are in your rules, perhaps ‘Man of’ and the different races / countries; e.g. Man of Shem, Man of Zamora, etc

Warhorse?

Participant

Giant spider

Thunder lizzard

Living statue

(frost) giant

Death dealer

Participant

Djinn?

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

Oh yeah, Djinn would be cool!

And elementals as an other favourite of those pesky, summoning wizards

Cheers,

Stroezie.

hmmmmm I think I will do a basic overview in the rules, a sort of bestiary lite and then do a Monster Manual style thing with a painted model of the critter with the stats and a bit of lore as a separate book.

Thinking out loud:

The Chronicles of Simurgh   – rules

Tales from the Eastern Desert  – fluff book and scenarios

The Menagerie of *insert name of a dude here*  – bestiary

Participant

As a long-time DnD player I instinctively like the idea of 3 books, and an official bestiary takes some of the guesswork out of creating your own scenarios.

This sounds like a clever idea, a book of fluff and ideas for scenarios is never a bad thing either!

Cards are done and ready as a PDF:

Screen shot:

The cards PDF will be updated when new figures are released and will be available for free on the CA website.
    The paid for items will be on Wargame Vault when ready..

Starting to get there.

Printed off some pages to see how they look.

Participant

THat looks amazing!  I love the look and theme, very rustic.

I also like the ideas of small separate books.  It looks like you have been busy.  Cards are cool too.  They could be even be used for random encounters.

I did a HTH example yesterday but then today re-did all the images, I think the newer ones look better?
    Less boxy and stuff?

Original Style Images

New Style Images

Participant

I like the new version much better!

Cheers, knocked up a draft cover:

Needed a border of some sort…

Bit easier to see when smaller.

revised bottom text

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 317 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.