Home Forums Fantasy Burning Sands Burning Sands

Viewing 37 posts - 281 through 317 (of 317 total)
  • Author
    Participant

…Getting close to be being finished!!

Seems like I picked a good time to start getting into Burning Sands!

Participant

Those are some cool looking birds!

Any chance of a sculpt with a saddle on it in the future?

There’s a real lack of fantasy mounts imo.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Oops wrong thread, this should have been posted in the Crom’s Anvil thread😳

Note to self, more sleep, less coffee…

I did wonder   😀

So, I am almost done on the text for the Chronicler’s Companion (mostly images now) BUT….  then I thought about hazardous plants..

Spores and things and maybe other stuff…. any suggestions?

Participant

Well there’s the black lotus of course and I would not be averse to some “little shop off horrors” sillyness.

Participant

Triffid-like plants would be good

Participant

Someone previously mentioned giant pitcher-plants.  They sound cool!

Also some kind of cactus like plant with an extensive root system, such that models passing within x distance trigger the plant (via the vibration of footsteps agitating the roots) to launch its toxin laden spines all around, dead creatures nearby enriching the sand/soil with nutrients for the plants roots to consume.  And maybe attract more creatures…

Perhaps a bush or tree with particularly succulent and refreshing fruit, such that any model stopping ‘in base contact’ for a whole turn and doing nothing else can eat said fruit and restore 1 vitality?  Might be a bit ‘gamey’ though, not sure.

Termite mounds/ant hills (what, no, I’m not making any of these…oh. Wait…) that are LoS blocking terrain which can also disgorge swarms of angry bugs if disturbed! (Not really plants, but certainly ‘hazardous terrain!).

Participant

Killer plants are a great idea, I’d love to see the iconic venus mantrap.

Are we going to get some jungle rules 😁?

Cool, thanks.

Need a couple of volunteers to check the first draft of The Chronicler’s Companion to see if it makes sense.
    Don’t take this the wrong way, I don’t much care if you like it or agree with it, I just need to know if you understand it.

😀

Participant

Happy to help out. I’m a fully qualified pedant and grammar nazi…

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Happy to help out. I’m a fully qualified pedant and grammar nazi…

do you have the core rules?

Participant

I do.

Participant

You can count with my axe!

And as you know I have the core rules.

Copy e-mailed to both of you, thank you.

Participant

If you need more eyeballs I’ll gladly volounteer mine 🙂

Just checking you got the e-mail Alexander ?

Participant

Yes, thank you Mike 🙂
    It’s making sense so far as I’ve had time to read, I’ll email you any typos or uncertainties that come up when I have had some more time to look over it!

ssssshhh, which of the people looking to buy the Chronicler’s Companion is online?
    I have added it to the site but want to check it works OK before I announce it, if anyone wants to try and buy it and report back that it all works ok, that would be fab.

https://cromsanvil.co.uk/chronicles.html

ssssshhh, which of the people looking to buy the Chronicler’s Companion is online? I have added it to the site but want to check it works OK before I announce it, if anyone wants to try and buy it and report back that it all works ok, that would be fab. https://cromsanvil.co.uk/chronicles.html

Works OK for me.

Participant

…if anyone wants to try and buy it and report back that it all works ok, that would be fab. https://cromsanvil.co.uk/chronicles.html

Works OK for me.

Likewise!

Keymaster

Skills, cheers folks.

😀

So over on Facebook someone asked about this statement: “Burning Sands is my desert fantasy skirmish ruleset”, what about the rules make it desert fantasy and not just fantasy?

Good question.
    Short answer, nothing really.

But that would be overlooking two main things, I think.

The first is the look of it, now it looks like it is set in the desert, and the terrain and figures used are all deserty.
    There are rules for desert worms, scorpions, swarms of beetles, hyenas and so on, sand storms and quick sand.
    But that is pretty superficial to be fair.
    It is aimed at supporting my figures and scenery, and was written with that desert setting in mind.
    But what makes a desert setting a desert setting, and are the rules any different?

This brings me on to the second point.
    What is a desert setting for me?
    So when I think of desert sand and sorcery I think of Sinbad and Conan.
    For me that sort of world is quite different from most fantasy in 2 main aspects, the lack of traditional fantasy races, there are no orcs and elves and goblins, it is pretty much just humans.
    The magic is quite different, look at lots of the traditional fantasy games with the above mentioned races and magic is all over the shop.
    Not only are there wizards, there are magical universities, shops that sell rare magical items and common place magical ones.
    Heroes wander around in +3 chainmail with swords of +5 damage, packing at least 10 healing potions and a ring of resurrection.
    Wizards join armies and unleash fireballs, raise armies of the dead, summon dragons, create illusions of men, open up the ground and swallow up ranks of troops, the magic is extreme, obvious, powerful and day to day.

My desert setting and thus the rules, view magic as rare and less battle magic style.
    I grouped my magic into 3 distinct flavours, from the rule book:

“Sorcery can take many foul forms, but the most common are Summoning, Manipulation and Ensorcellment.

Summoning is the process of opening a rift in reality and pulling creatures or spirits from limbo into our world to do their masters bidding.

Manipulation is the controlling of natural elements and bending them to your will against nature.

Ensorcellment is the devious art of illusion and convincing someone that an illusion is real.

Typical Summoning would involve the raising of the dead, calling forth winged demons and so on.
    Manipulation could vary from the mundane unlocking of manacles, making a storm appear out of nowhere, to causing castle walls to crack and crumble in minutes.
    Ensorcellments are mind tricks and examples would be convincing a person that their dagger is a venomous snake, that they can not see someone, or to convincing them to hurl themselves off a cliff.”

So whilst these can be quite powerful, they are not vulgar displays of power or typical.
    But importantly, magic users are rare.
    The rules for summoning creatures make it hard, and if you want to summon anything of any significance you will most likely need to a group of acolytes to help, and by help, I mean sacrifice!

So I think combining the lack of traditional fantasy races with the less traditional magic system helps make the game feel less traditional fantasy and in this case more desert like as it reflects what I see as typical desert settings.

Having said that, the Chroniclers Companion does contain more traditional spells and guidelines on how to go about creating more.
    So it is meant for desert as that is what I sell, the rules help nurture gaming in that setting, but the core mechanics do not prevent using the rules for any setting.

Working on a sort of cheat sheet for advanced rules and uncommon tasks.

I have so far:

HEALING
    wits 7+    10+ on yourself
    Stops status damage.

BRUTE STRENGTH
    Smashing down a regular door is 10+, a medium door such as on barracks is 20+, a strong door 30+. Pushing or pulling a cart is 10+
    Tipping over a big cauldron or similar is 15+

SNEAKING
    Normal prowess task to move but half distance.
    Then make a free stealth task (also Prowess) and this is the target the watcher must beat with a free Wits test.

LOCK PICKING
    Lock Picking is a Wits test and the target number depends on the quality of the lock.
    A standard lock has a target of around 6 (a house door or prison shackles for example.)
    A better than average lock will be around 10 (a jail door or quality shackles.)
    A superior lock will be 14 (the lock on a sorcerers scroll chest etc.)
    A legendary lock will be 20 (the lock has several secret levers that must all be pressed in the correct order at the same time as the lock is being opened/picked)

CLIMBING
    Prowess task, halve rolled distance.

JUMPING
    Prowess task, quarter rolled distance.

SWIMMING
    Prowess task, halve rolled distance. If in water at end of turn, spend an AV or take status damage.

USURPING
    Spend an AV before rolling for Initiative to add a d6 to your roll.

DIGGING DEEP
    Take a point of damage to add d6 or 3 to a task roll.

SHIELDS
    +2 defence roll but don’t do damage if this is used to win.

ARMOUR
    Light +1, Heavy +2. If you use armour to win HTH you don’t do damage. (cumulative with a shield)
    Heavy armour knocks off 1/3 of your rolled move. (added before other mods)

DUAL WEAPON
    Min P3, +2 HTH

TWO HANDED
    Min V3, crits on a 5 or 6 rather than a 6.

FEAR
    Wits vs Fear Level, fail means -5 to tasks. May take the task each turn (costs no AV)

FALLING
    A fall from a single storey has a difficulty of 4+.
    A fall from a double storey has a difficulty of 9+.
    A fall from a three storey has a difficulty of 18+.
    A fall from a four storey has a difficulty of 36+.

You take a point of damage for each storey you fall.
    If you pass the Prowess task then you take one less point of damage.

ANYTHING I HAVE MISSED?

(from the current rules, I will be adding new ones shortly)

Some new Tasks:

FAST TALK/CON
    Opposed Wits task.
    Pass means you convince them to do something that does not endanger anyone.
    They wise up after a number of turns equal to your Wits.

PERSUADE
    Opposed Wits task.
    Only works if you pass with a critical, you persuade them it is in their best interest to do what you say, but they will not endanger themself.

Participant

Maybe a blurb cover legendary points and use in game? I know I forget about those from time to time.

The only other think I could think of, which may not be needed would be the calculation for xp after an event.

Participant

Those strong doors will be extremely difficult to knock down.  But what about chopping through them?  How much damage can they take?

I really like how shields can be used, makes defensive fighting a real thing.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

But what about chopping through them?  How much damage can they take?

Damage values for items, good call.

Participant

ANYTHING I HAVE MISSED?

I think so, but I may be missing something.

I don’t think it is possible for (for example) David to kill Goliath in one hit, if Goliath has more than 2 vitality. I think missiles need a chance of an outright kill.

I don’t think it is possible for (for example) David to kill Goliath in one hit, if Goliath has more than 2 vitality. I think missiles need a chance of an outright kill.

If a sling can have an outright kill then surely a melee attack should?
    I am not sure this fits the vibe/flow of the concept of Vitality?

So the cheat sheet is done.
    Extra rules next…

I have rules for nets, some spot rules for recovering vitality (horns of ale, beef joints etc), lotus rules…

Any requests for rules for me to consider giving an official stance on?

If a sling can have an outright kill then surely a melee attack should?
    I am not sure this fits the vibe/flow of the concept of Vitality?

I think in this instance, it should be a scenario specific rule.
    Such as any missile attack from David (who has say P3, that rolls all 3 d6 as a 6, is an outright kill)
    But for normal games I think sniper autokill would not work.

Participant

I had no idea ensorcellment is a word! But it is! Superb!

Participant

I think in this instance, it should be a scenario specific rule. Such as any missile attack from David (who has say P3, that rolls all 3 d6 as a 6, is an outright kill)

I think that is reasonable, and I take your points re. melee attacks and vitality.

An alternative would be an improved “Good Aim” ability, which increases damage as well as accuracy. Of course, if we’re specifically considering David, perhaps a “Hand of God” ability (or even spell) would be more appropriate.

Thanks for your thoughts.

There are of course Legend Points that can turn misses into hits and hits into criticals, maybe David spent all his Legend Points that day?

😀

Participant

There is of course Legend Points that can turn misses into hits and hits into criticals, maybe David spent all his Legend Points that day?

To be renamed ‘Piety Points’…

Participant

Any requests for rules for me to consider giving an official stance on?

Fighting whilst drunk/stoned…

Pursuing my ‘Biblical Sands’ variant, I’ve been reading about the Hebrew temple at Tel Arad, where hashish was burned on the incense altar…

Participant

Hashish?  Seriously?  Wow.

Possible foreign “fusion” worship, incorporating local practices?  Edomite, perhaps?  Or a separatist group, trying to distance itself from Jerusalem’s temple worship?

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/with/72157710630529376

Participant

Marijuana traces have been found a Stone Henge. It was a widely used drug by our ancestors.

Viewing 37 posts - 281 through 317 (of 317 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.