Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Fantasy worlds (Backgrounds)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    6mmwargaming
    Participant

Hi all

For years I have owned 6mm massed armies for fantasy and geared the armies towards Lord of the Rings. While I love the background of Tolkien, I find it doesn’t really do it for me anymore as a gaming “period”. I find there is a lack of wild and wonderful fantasy figures and races that appeal to me.

So my question is what other well known fantasy settings are there that have a strong background and a lots of different races and troop types. The most obvious is GW Warhammer/Warmaster (before AOS) but how about any others?

Thanks
    Kieran

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by 6mmwargaming.
    Fredd Bloggs
    Participant

For hordes of Fantasy, perhaps Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms d&d worlds might suit.

Otherwise take a leaf out of GWs book, get a map of Europe and carve it up for your needs.

But be warned, world building can be addictive. And if you do, find a book called Wargames Campaigns by Tony Bath, loads of ideas of how to build the world and then run it.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

6mmwargaming:

You might have a look at Greg Stafford’s fantasy world of Glorantha. It’s a world of many cultures and many levels of civilization and technologies. It is a place where myths are real and where heroes can change the very fabric of reality in the mundane world by making ritual pilgrimages (heroquests) through higher plains of existence. It is a fascinating world which is very well documented in the two-volume “Guide to Glorantha” published by Moon Designs and available at http://www.glorantha.com.

You might also look at the Late Dr. Philip Barker’s world of Tekumel which was popularized by the RPG Empire of the Petal Throne.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Angel Barracks

Couple of ideas here>>>  LINK

Fredd Bloggs
    Participant

Glorantha is a great setting, but not a traditional fantasy one, no Orcs, Elves and trolls are VERY different, but you do get Bison Riders and Broos as compensation…

A Lot of Gaul
    Participant

Back in the late 1970’s, my favorite fantasy wargaming background setting was from Chivalry & Sorcery, by Edward E.  Simbalist and Wilf Backhaus. The RPG was too detailed to be easily playable, but the C&S world of Archaeron was an incredibly rich setting for wargaming, with fantasy versions of feudal French and Comnenian Byzantine armies, along with ‘standard fantasy’ elves, dwarves, goblins, and so on.

My personal favorites, though, were the the Hss’Taathi. The 1979 Saurians supplement for C&S included a complete society of dinosaur-descended lizardmen. Hss-Taathi armies were loosely based on those of the Seleucid dynasty, complete with pike phalanxes, dinosaur-riding ‘cataphract’ cavalry, and triceratops with crews in howdahs – terrific stuff!

"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Patrice
    Participant

Strange, I never asked myself such a question, perhaps because of old school AD&D training.

You don’t need to imagine a whole world.  You don’t even need to draw a map (unless you really want one to run a campaign).

Just take some medieval historical context that you like most (regarding armour etc), and that’s your human main kingdom; and say that the surrounding forests, hills and mountains are infested by tribes or kingdoms of Orcs, Dwarfs, Halflings, Goblins, Hobgoblins and/or all other species you might want. You’ll just have to decide before each game who’ll be fighting whom. We play like this in 28mm and it works.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

6mmwargaming
    Participant

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and I will do some research.

AB I didn’t see that thread I read the Elric novels for the first time this year and I couldnt believe how much GW nicked from them for their Chaos background. Conan and Westeros would be good if there were more non-human armies.

The reason I want to use a an existing world is so it will appeal to others. Although I plan to provide all the figures (for 3-4 armies) I want it to be familiar  and use it to encourage others. I will probably use KOW rules but some other options are Warmaster and my favourite Chipco’s Fantasy Rules!3.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

Thanks again for the replies. I’ve decided to be completely unoriginal and go with GW’s Old World background. As mentioned before i will play Chipco Fantasy Rules (if I can convince people to) or KOW. The armies lists will be for KOW and I’ve been tracking down info on what figures people use for KOW, coming from a GW WHFB/Warmaster world.

Cheers
    Kieran

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.