Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Favorite 28mm dragon?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone—I have a hankering to paint a 28mm dragon*, but fantasy ranges (outside of GW) are not ones I have much familiarity with, and I haven’t been able to refine my google search terms enough to get me a nice view of what’s out there.

What’s your favorite dragon model?

I have a 3d resin printer, so if it’s an STL that’s fine.

*meaning one that scales well with 28mm minis, not a 28mm-tall dragon

Participant

I have no idea where you’d find one, but the Great Spined Dragon by Nick Bibby Dragon has always been my favourite.

http://mainly28s.com
    wargames review site...

Participant

A more reasonable sized one of this would be nice (links to Geek Gaming on YouTube) and Etsy is way OTT now (1000+ on this search).

Sandra Garrity has done some great ‘classic’ ones – Cinder being one though care needs to be taken to hide the wing join.

A more evil Wyvern (maybe OK in your book as a type of dragon) is from Bob Olly – Bile

Hatchlings are sadly under used in games – the Blue is a nice one.

For a smile there always are the cute dragons from Reaper – Rocky ‘sneaking’ is my current fave.

But the current love of my life is the Pathfinder White Dragon – can be hard to find so here’s a video of one being painted!

Participant

Another one that’s harder to get hold of from me I’m afraid, the Heresy Miniatures Dragon.  I believe Andy may still cast a few of these to order in what he calls “imperfect”.  However, his idea of imperfect is in my experience entirely acceptable.

Fantastic figure, with a sense of scale and movement and despite the size it was dead easy to build albeit somewhat intimidating to paint…and yes that is a 28mm figure for scale.

Death to all fanatics!

Participant

Reaper miniatures have a number of dragons available. My favourite is the Julie Guthrie designed Narthrax in their Reaper Bones (plastic) range. About a tenth of the price of the Heresy one and lighter to boot, I imagine.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

I second Reaper Bones. Cheap as chips and fun to paint, plus one very very important bonus.

Many years ago, a young lad brought in his High Elf Dragon to the shop to show us his paint job. I think it was an excellent, wonderous paint job, but cannot be sure because as he lifted it from the foam he had transported it in, he dropped it roughly a foot and a half and it smashed into about 8 pieces. Heartbreaking.

My painted Reaper Bones Marthrangul can be bounced off walls like a ping-pong ball without suffering damage. I have tested this and it’s no exaggeration.

Participant

Anything by Tom Meier…

Dragons

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

Thanks everyone—great suggestions!

Participant

Just come across this mud dragon – very very different.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.