Home Forums General General Favourite family of wargames rules?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Whirlwind
    Participant

After recently completing the Boardgamegeek 10×10 challenge, it got me to wondering if people here have a favourite family of wargames rules, like DBx, Warmaster/Black Powder, Too Fat Lardies, Neil Thomas, Polemos, WRG (before DBx), Warhammer etc.?  Which family would you pick if you could only play one?

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Probably Sam Mustafa’s rules before he became too enchanted with card mechanics.

That’s just Grande Armee, Might & Reason and Lasalle then. Although each set had little in common with the others in the way of mechanics.

Other than that I’ve never been a fan of ‘families’. I used to use WRG back in the day, but then everyone else did too 🙂

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Whirlwind
    Participant

Other than that I’ve never been a fan of ‘families’. I used to use WRG back in the day, but then everyone else did too 🙂

As a history lesson to me, did the WRG “Ancients”-series have much in common with the Renaissance, Horse & Musket, WW2 and Modern sets?  Or were they very different beasts?

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Roger Calderbank
    Participant

I think I too would choose Sam Mustafa’s games. Note that recent ones, like Blucher and Rommel, don’t have card mechanics; the ‘unit cards’ are an option which you can use instead of miniatures. I’d add Maurice and Blucher to the ‘favourite’ list from Not Connard Sage.

Second choice would be the ‘Impetus’ family. They have a much greater family likeness than the Sam Mustafa’s games, so maybe not enough variety if that was all I could play.

RogerC

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

As a history lesson to me, did the WRG “Ancients”-series have much in common with the Renaissance, Horse & Musket, WW2 and Modern sets? Or were they very different beasts?

The Ancients and Renaissance sets were very like each other. As were WWII and Modern sets. The H&M rules were a different beast, but you could detect the hand of Barker in them. 🙂

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

ian pillay
    Participant

Mmmmm, only one choice that’s hard. Torn between Neil Thomas rules or Dan Mersey rules…. I think I would have to go with Dans “rampant” rules and all the different versions, official and fan made, but only just.

Tally-Ho!

Mike Headden
    Participant

I guess I’d have to say Warmaster and it’s derivatives, given that 90%+ of the games I played last year were either Warmaster or BKC2.

They tend to give the right results for the wrong reasons, if you know what I mean, but that’s better than the reverse which is what I often feel I get from other rules sets.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Pay someone a dollar to say FiveCore 🙂

Joking aside, 2HW probably.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

A Lot of Gaul
    Participant

Warhammer. Although I do not play or enjoy WFB or WAB, it is nonetheless my favourite ‘family’ of wargames rules based on the following criteria:

1. Favorite period: Ancients
    2. Sub-period: Classical Europe (c. 400 BC – 300 AD)
    3. Scale: Grand Tactical (i.e. ‘Big Battle’)
    4. Table size: 6′ x 4′ (180cm x 120cm)
    5. Typical close-order unit frontage: 12cm (120mm)
    6. Ruleset: Swordpoint, designed by Martin Gibbins, who also authored Warhammer Ancient Battles (WAB) 2.0. The core mechanics of WAB were originally based in large part on the 5th edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle. Other Ancients rulesets based on similar core mechanics include Battlestandard Ancient Rules (BAR), Crusader, Clash of Empires, Hail Caesar, War & Conquest, and Swordpoint.

"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

shelldrake
    Participant

For me it is Iron Ivan games and Nordic Weasel games.

Rhoderic
    Participant

The core mechanics of WAB were originally based in large part on the 5th edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle. Other Ancients rulesets based on similar core mechanics include Battlestandard Ancient Rules (BAR), Crusader, Clash of Empires, Hail Caesar, War & Conquest, and Swordpoint.

I thought Hail Caesar traced its lineage to Warmaster, not Warhammer.

A Lot of Gaul
    Participant

One doesn’t necesarily cancel out the other. While it is certainly true that Rick Priestley’s Hail Caesar is most closely ‘related’ to his earlier Warmaster and Warmaster Ancients rules, it is equally true that HC shares a number of core mechanics with both WFB and WAB, also co-written by Priestley. After all, we are discussing wargame rules writing, and not literal lineages or genetics. 

"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Olaf Meys
    Participant

I’d go with the GW family. WAB/WHFB/Mordheim for non-gunpowder rules, and WH40k/Necromunda/Gorka-Morka for gunpowder rules. There are plenty of adaptations for sub-periods, and I have made house-rules for anything not covered.

As I’m a solo-player, I’m good with them as they are.

http://mainly28s.com
    wargames review site...

McKinstry
    Participant

Warmaster/Hail Caesar for my ancients and medieval go to sets although Impetus/Baroque gets used a lot as well.

For 20th century naval I’m a fan of General Quarters.

For others it is Sam Mustafa for Napoleonic/7YW and WW2 land. All of those are more or less “big battle” and since SAGA is the only thing I do in 28mm, they kind of win by default for skirmish type.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.