Home Forums General General Favourite period

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

….and why.

I must admit my favourite period changes according to what I’m working on. At the moment it’s Bronze Age/Biblical/Chariot Wars (call it what you will).

I like the period because of the history. It’s about as Ancient as you can get. The pyramids. Mycenae & Troy. The Catastrophe that nearly wiped out civilisation.

Finding figures. No manufacturer makes everything so there’s the joy of tracking down potential figures & of converting. I use several plastic manufacturers & three metal.

The rules we use (Field of Glory) are very tactical & you can gain much enjoyment from working out Cunning Plans to win (in my case, usually ending in failure & rout).

And chariots are just cool.

[/url]

An earlier game. I plan to be  better & bigger.
    donald

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Deleted User.
    Mike Headden
    Participant

Early Bronze Age Near East is my current favourite. Mycenae and Troy? I don’t do Moderns 🙂

That said, anything from dinosaurs to space opera have (and may again) graced my gaming tables.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Norm S
    Participant

If I had to jump of the fence I would say WWII tactical ….. but I am a very bad butterfly!

shelldrake
    Participant

I have a lot of historical periods I like, but if I was hard pressed, I would have to say mid-ish 1700’s from and including the F&IW/SYW and the AWI.

Not only is it muskets and uniforms, it is a very important century for history.

Mike
    Keymaster

Oooh that is pretty.
    If we are talking historical periods the Napoleonics, influenced by Sharpe in my youth.
    If just any genre/theme then sci-fi (allows all sorts of creative expression) followed by fantasy, for the same reasons.

MartinR
    Participant

If forced to pick one and only one, it would be where I started all those decades ago, Northwest Europe 1944. Grand Tactical (battalion and up).

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Shaun Travers
    Participant

I have two – Mass battles Middle Eastern Ancients 300oBC to AD500 (love it all!) and European Land WW2 at about battalion on a table.  If I had to pick just one I would be stuck.  I like them both for different reasons.

B6GOBOS
    Participant

Would have to be 18th and 19th century.  Long time American Rev War fanatic;  just as long into Crimean War and War of 1812.  In the past  Seven Years War and 1866/1870.

Rhoderic
    Participant

I’m not resolute at all about these things, but right now I’m going to say my favourite period as regards historical wargaming is approximately 1840s-1914, with some exceptions like the ACW which I don’t much care for.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What don’t I like to game (reading is different)? Well historically anything land based from about 1916 (trench warfare) to today (too close to home.)  The exception is PTO WW2 for some reason.  Aerial form WW1 to the end of the Cold War still my favorite era/genre by far.  Naval is a small interest but the Java Seas campaign is my focus there.

ACW not high on my list but generally 18th and 19th Centuries attract me.

Fantasy I have to admit being warped, in a good way, by Tolkien.  FRPGs to mass battles, I’m in.

Science Fiction, thanks to Starguard, platoon actions to Brigades/Divisions ditto.

VSF, I have yet to find rules I like beyond “squad sized” narratives like IHMN though I have yet to play the Two Hour Wargames “Lemuria” supplement to “Colonial Wars.”  I hope I got those titles correct.

You provide the miniatures, teach me the rules and, other than my GW allergy, I will at least attempt a game.

McKinstry
    Participant

At the moment Ancient naval using Poseidon’s Warriors and Spaceships using Dropfleet Commander.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

John D Salt
    Participant

WW2 for me. They say you should try anything once, except incest and country dancing, and I’ve tried country dancing, so I’ll give any period a go, but WW2 is the main one for me for a metric shedload of reasons.

It’s my first love; when I learnt about wargaming from Featherstone’s “Battles with Model Soldiers”, the first fights on the tabletop, or more often the floor, were played out with Airfix German Infantry, US Marines, and Infantry Combat Group.

It’s the biggest war there has ever been, or ever will be, involving people from every inhabited continent, and in every clime from desert sand or South Pacific island to the snows of Russia or the North Cape.

It’s got a broader spread of combat technology than any other war could ever have. It saw the development of radar, window, jet and rocket fighters, powerful jammers using the cavity magnetron, troop control by VHF voice radio, airborne troops going into action by parachute or glider, artillery rockets, guided weapons, and ultimately the atomic bomb, but also involved bicycle-mounted infantry, horse cavalry, and the occasional camel.

it’s the closest human history is likely to have to a Manichean struggle between good and evil. The Nazis, the Fascists and the Japanese militarists really were proper bad guys, and really did need beating. When Tolkien wrote about the threat from Mordor, or J K Rowling wrote about the threat from Voldemort, or Alan Moore wrote about the Norsefire party, they were really writing about the Nazis. When Heinlein’s Mobile Infantry are digging the bugs out of holes, they are really clearing Japanese spider-holes. And why do you think Imperial Stormtroopers look like that?

It’s a war that’s got some damned good music. “Katyusha”, “Lilli Marleen”, “In the Mood”, “We’ll Meet Again”, “The Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy”…

It’s a war close enough in history for us to have met and talked to the participants. Amongst others, I’ve been acquainted with a fighter pilot from 303 (Polish) Squadron, an RM Commando sergeant sniper, a mortarman from the Queen’s Regiment, a Captain who got his tin hips and an MC leading an assault party through the sewers into Fort Dufferin, a translator who worked at Bletchley Park, a junior member of the Norwegian Resistance and a survivor of Dresden.

It’s the war that formed the world we live in today — electronic computers, the Bretton Woods financial structure, the United Nations, the state of Israel, the realisation that racism is a really bad thing, the threat of nuclear destruction, travel by jet aeroplane — all came out of WW2.

And, of course, there are Spitfires.

All the best,

John.

Not too much I don’t like. If someone supplies the figures & sets up a game, I’d even do Fantasy & Sci-Fi at a pinch.
    But there are some historical periods that interest me very little: Medieval. Knights in shining armour are dull IMO.
    WW1: Too much ‘over the top’ in terms of death & destruction. Jungle Warfare of any type. I just can’t see what’s in it.

donald

Etranger
    Participant

….
    And, of course, there are Spitfires.

Was there ever a prettier killing machine?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.