Home Forums General General Favourite sculptors?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Who are your favourite sculptors? Or CAD designers or builders of model vehicles for that matter?

I’ve said this a few times recently so this is me being a broken record, but I really appreciate Mike Owen (Artizan), Mark Copplestone and the rest of the North Star stable. I think they set the perfect standard for what ordinary 28mm miniatures should be like these days. I always enjoy myself painting one of their figures, they have this intuition for sculpting them just right so as to be easy to paint without appearing deprived of detail.

Sandra Garrity also has a special place in my pantheon. Many of her older fantasy figures have this romantic yet down-to-earth charm that makes me dream of a time when fantasy was less pretentious and stagey… a time when druids were just druids, and knights were just knights, and rogues were just rogues, and so on.

I also have a somewhat idiosyncratic appreciation for David Soderquist (Bronze Age Miniatures). His sculpts are more flairful, but he has a knack for making stuff look awesome in a Frazetta-ish sort of way. This goes especially for anything snarling and muscly.

There are many other superbly eminent sculptors, of course, both long-established and new – Tom Meier, Bob Olley, the Perrys, Kev White, Kev Adams, Paul Hicks, Julie Guthrie, Andy Dormer (“Soapy”), Josef Ochmann, Marike Reimer, Michael Lovejoy, Bobby Jackson, Bob Naismith, Aly and Trish Morrison, Jes Goodwin, Mike Broadbent, Werner Klocke, “Whiff Waff” (don’t know his real name), John Bear Ross, etc (and these are just off the top of my head) – but it might be greedy of me to name them all as favourites!

Participant

Sandra Garrity, in no small part because she is a lovely lady.  Tom Meier, who sculpted the best orcs and gobbos ever back in the ’70s.  Tre Manor.  Whoever sculpts for The Russian Alternative and for MOM Miniaturas.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.