Home Forums Ancients Finally, a game.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I haven’t had a game since our SYW show game in August but we’ve finally managed to find a slot that three of us can make.

My two opponents ( “the Brains Trust”), in their usual cunning way have manoeuvred me to challenging their Polybian Romans to a match against my Celts, who in at least a dozen outings have never beaten their Roman foes.
    Whilst via email, I have been making all manner of threats & promises, I do realise the army I affectionately & privately dub, “the muddle-headed wombats” are best at mad & ill-considered charges & then falling into disorder to die bravely.

I should have sensibly held out for my Carthaginians but Celts, it is. The rules are Field of Glory and I have improved the army list by adding cavalry (in which the Celts will outnumber & be of superior quality to the Romans), Gaestati & armoured infantry heavy infantry BGs ( at the expense of including them as allies, under their own general, as my Celts are otherwise a Medium Infantry force*) and I get to choose the terrain within parameters: a slight advantage.

As I’ve found to my horror in previous games, anything remotely difficult in the way of tactics will not be possible for my undrilled infantry. So: the plan will be to try to hold the Romans in the centre & send the cavalry around a flank. Hardly brilliant but at least realistic.

Any further advice & comment welcome.

donald

* them’s the rules

kyoteblue
    Participant

Send the flankers first !!!!! Then charge in the center and hope it all hits at about the same time…

Northern Monkey
    Participant

With these sort of armies where its all about getting those big charges in, I tend to go for an oblique line tactic with all my good stuff/heavy hitters on one flank and as close to the enemy as possible from the set up, the crap troops get held right back advancing only slowly. I find it better than going in piecemeal over an extended line

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.