Home Forums General Blogs Finding the Best Wargame Table

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I don’t know about you, but I am in the market for a new gaming table. Over on MCM, I just wrote a massive 2800 word report on my site about wargaming tables and I want to share it here on the Wargames Website as my first forums post. In this article, I describe my needs lists and then look at a number of options.

The options investigated include four designer tables, four custom build options and a number of self build options with links too. If you are also in the market for a table, or just plain old curious, come on over and check it out!!!  https://mustcontainminis.com/2020/06/finding-the-best-miniature-wargaming-table.html

Check out my gaming blog about Indy and Historical Games
    https://mustcontainminis.com/

Participant

I am in the market for a table so I’ll take a look.  Thanks.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

Hey Deephorse. Thanks for the feedback. Good luck with your table hunt.

Participant

Ok, since when did gaming tables evolve from a piece of MDF / ply board painted green or a simple cloth to exquisite made tables that actually double as furniture? Some of those in the post are brilliant. However they are all out of budget so I guess I will have to visit IKEA for my next table 😊

Great post!

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Thank you Jacob for an interesting and informative post on your blog an excellent read.  Wow the cost of some of those tables, just think of all the soldiers you could buy for the price.  If I win the lottery this weekend I will treat myself along with a large games room.

Participant

Actually, my one suggestion is custom build etc, is go for 5ft wide. or even 4ft6″, in use that little extra space is amazingly useful.

Participant

Thanks for that link to Wyrmwood.  I’m ordering some dice vaults and petitioning SWMBO for a new “dinning room table”, wink wink.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I’d add a couple of things, which unfortunately may collide with your Missus!

1.  It should be taller than most table heights.  If you’re playing a full 6×4 size game, you can’t sit and reach all your troops, so you’ll end up standing.  A higher table is more comfortable to reach everything if you’re standing.  I think mine is about 6-8 higher.  If you’re getting old (certainly not me!) and need to rest, barstools work well.
    2. I have a couple of extra shelves on the sides on a 6×4 table, below the level of the playing top for players to put all the crap – dice, rules, tape measures, drinks – that games need but look awful on the battlefield.  I can lose the shelves though, if I need an 8×4 size.
    3. The tabletop is actually made of two layers – top is for the game, but underneath you can put things too.  It’s a bit more awkward to use than the shelves, but it has the advantage of being hidden from your opponent.   When playing games that call for reinforcements, we like to hide our off table forces under there, as we find it more fun to never show our opponent our army before it appears on the table – like in Sharpe Practice or Chain of Command.    (Quite honestly, I stole the idea from the Phoenix store tables, Jacob)
    4. Unlike the Wikihow article, my table is bare plywood.  “Decide whether you want sand or grass”, says Wikihow.  Uh, why in the world would you do that?  That’s what mats are for.  They go over top – sand, grass, snow, oceans, hexes…anything you want.
    5.  I don’t have table legs, but rather I use four storage cabinets to hold the table up.  And then obviously I get more storage!

That downside to all this is mine looks awful.  My wife would certainly not ever permit such an eyesore to be allowed near delicate company.   I imagine a decent carpenter like you’ve uncovered might tart it up sufficiently to pass as furniture, but if I were to recreate my current one as a decently, acceptable table it would look quite odd with the height, the double tabletop and storage cabinets instead of legs.  Even if I were to enhance it visually with an Imperialist TYW army, or some Carthaginians, I fear it would still be relegated to my gaming room.

That said, I have often wondered about dual purposing a snooker table.  Some of them look gorgeous, and one could possibly add a top over the billiard felt to play a game.  Admittedly it is quite large, and might be tricky to reach the centre to move troops, but I imagine one could hire a WAAF, and instruct them to move things around with a pool cue bridge, just like in the movies. 

PS – And I am NOT showing my wife the “Board + Bean” website.  I fear my retirement would be pushed off a few more years, as our finances would take an awful hit!

Participant

That’s a great breakdown of the options! I’ve had similar experiences and have looked at some similar products, but never pulled the trigger for one reason or another. The big problem I always have is finding a table that isn’t almost but not quite the size I want it to be. Like 32” x 55”.

I saw this, which is interesting, but I doubt its robustness:

https://firmerterra.com

And I don’t really relish the idea of being saddled with an expensive piece of purpose-built furniture which I then have to store, drag with me if I move, etc. It’s not an easy task finding something to game on and I’m in sympathy with all who attempt it!

Participant

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Tony S, I am going to copy and paste your comment into the comments section of Must Contain Minis. Great response.  🙂

Participant

I too prefer a taller table, both for gaming and for eating.

That said, I have often wondered about dual purposing a snooker table.

My RPG group plays on a pool table (similar to snooker, but with solids and stripes balls) with a plywood topper and pleather cover.  Plenty of room on it for laptops, grid mat, minis, dice, etc.  One thing it does not have is good leg room.  The table is quite deep, and the legs are substantial (almost sculptural).  The pockets hanging down also cause a little interference/irritation.  Works in a pinch for standing around, but sitting at… not the best.

Do NOT try to use a foosball table for gaming, unless you have a total disregard for your reproductive bits…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

@Jacob – after your rather nice detailed post, my comments will be a bit of an anticlimax for the poor reader I would think!  But feel free.  Say, just a suggestion, but maybe you could ask gamers to snap photos of their tables, and make an article out of that?  Who knows what cleverness lurks in the gamer man caves the world over?

Participant

That is so true Tony S. That might be a good idea too.  Did you end up getting any gaming in lately?

Participant

Sadly, no.  Some were tentatively willing to meet, but overall the consensus seemed to be “wait”.   The infections numbers are quite low in our area, but I guess it’s a balance between risk and reward, and given that it is health versus toy soldiers, the scales do seem tipped in one direction.  There is mental health to consider though…

That said, I’ve been going to work steadily since the shutdown, which puts me at high risk since we have little no protective measures or procedures at work, so perhaps I’ve become (wrongly) blase to the concept of seeing people.  I did mention this, and said I perhaps should therefore not attend, even with a mask.  In my defense, I rarely go out except for work, and if I do I wear a mask, as I think it only proper not to put others at risk.

And at this point I should apologize for dragging this thread horribly off topic!

Participant

No worries Tony. I played a part too. lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.