Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Fire and Water

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Having been somewhat taken with the “Ninja All Stars” chibi ninja figures, but daunted by the price, I was pleased to find they are now available for a more reasonable “couple of quid a figure” and not the fifteen to forty quid each I’d seen when I first looked.

Plan was to paint a few of the … err … mountain I seem to have acquired and play a game a few days ago.

Well life, as it has a habit of doing, got in the way of both the planned game and painting.

However, a new game with figures only undercoated took place a couple of evenings ago.

A tussle between a handful of “Ninja All Star” chibi ninja from the Fire and Water shrines, using onepagerules Warstuff 2.1.0 rules on a roughly 3′ x 3′ playing area.

The new battlefield

One of the two army lists

The opposing forces – I’m sure you can work out which is which 🙂

Turn 1 saw some manouevering and an ineffective exchange of fire.

Turn Two – and first blood. A Water Shrine Yajiri kills a Fire Shrine kaiken

…. and is promptly cut down by the Fire Shrine madoushi!
    [/img]

Archers trade shots to no effect and the Fire Shrine chunin heads to the bridge intent on closing with the enemy

Turn 3 – The Fire Shrine chunin charges a Water Shrine kaiken with no damage taken on either side. The other Water Shrine kaiken rushes to the aid of the first and is cut down by the chunin’s riposte.

The Water Shrine chunin charges into the melee but his blade is turned by his opponent’s armour; the Fire Shrine chunin’s riposte is a “deadly blow” so no armour save is possible. A 1 would have driven the Water Shrine leader back 1″, a 2 or 3 and he would have been stunned but a 4 was enough to kill him.

Turn 4 – The Water Shrine pass their rout test. In the melee blow and counter blow fail to land, but the Fire Shrine madoushi claims another victim.
    [/img]

Game End – games only last 4 turns so the Water Shrine kaiken lives to take the sorry tale back to the shrine … and, yup, I was the Water Shrine …. doh!

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Keymaster

That is all so cool, from the figures to the shrines and the bridge and the trees!
    Aces!

Nice to see someone using Warstuff too.
    I like those minis. Are the skrine and bridge from the same manufacturer?

Participant

What an appealing looking game! Thank you for posting!

Participant

Love the chibi look of the models and the terrain. The game seems to have a lot of potential.

Participant

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

They were from Arcane Scenery but I’m pretty sure the bridge and Torii gate are 20mm Sarissa items. Sarissa also do similar 28mm versions.

The trees are from China via EBay – a bag of 20 for 7.99 iirc.

The four small stone lanterns flanking the bridge and the guardian statue are from Mastercrafted, who do a number of other neat bits of Japanese scenery – from koi carp to a zen garden.

I have some plastic bamboo coming from China too.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

An update to show that despite life’s best attempts to put a “Spaniard in the works” I am still managing occasional work on this project.

I have a couple of items assembled and painted. A bell and a well from Zen Terrain ( https://www.zenterrain.com/ ) of Gdansk, Poland.

Two hokori wayside shrines and a full sized shrine to go.

They do some Viking stuff and a whole pile of Necromunda/ Infinity style stuff too.

Thanks, they have a lot of cool stuff. I think you can get better bell shape from sharpie marker lid or bottom.

Participant

Thomaston, you’re right, the bell could be more convincing! But since it’s not really visible during play and is sitting alongside chibi ninja it will do 🙂

Another couple of items from Zen Terrain. This time quick phone camera image of a pair of hokori wayside shrines.

Keymaster

I like wayside shrines, more games need them!

Participant

More scenery – must get some figures finished!!

Though I think some roads are going to be up next.

Participant

The last one is the full sized shrine? Very nice.

I agree about the roadside shrines. I like the Alternative Armies marker stones too

Your sceneries are building up nicely. Are you planning to paint the ninjas?

Participant

Thanks for the comments folks!

Ah Thomaston! I am indeed planning on painting the ninja and the other figures (samurai, ronin and oni) if I can stop distracting myself with scenery items!! Not helped any by buying a couple of wayside stalls, a boat and a watch tower from Sarissa and a koi pond from Alien Worlds …. DOH!!

Not quite the Gokaidō but here’s the latest distraction from painting figures – Crom’s Anvil road sections.

Participant

I like the simplistic look of your shrines, you added just the right amount of colour to make it work and I look forward to the rest you’ve got planned.

That’s quite a road you’re going for, how big is your table?

Participant

Wouter, deterioration in both eye sight and hand-eye coordination coupled with a growing awareness of the rumble of the wheels of Time’s wingèd chariot are all affecting painting.

I’m aware that in the past I’ve often failed to get very far with projects because of the amount of detail I painted so I’m going for a more minimal approach. It’s working for me and, let’s face it, that’s the main thing. I am, however, very pleased when others like it too!

My dining table is 2000mm x 900mm but I can add MDF boards to make a 2m x 1.2m surface if required. For the Ninja All Stars figures I’ve been using a 900mm square playing area.

Might need a few more road sections if I go up to 2m x 1.2m 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.