Home Forums General Board Games and Card Games Firefly Board Game

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Keymaster

Shiny.

As you can see we have started playing.
    It takes up a LOT of space and takes much longer than stated.
    It is however very much funz.

John D Salt
    Participant

I got a copy of this (with a couple of extensions) with the Battlequest Games vouchers niece Georgina got me for Xmas. Niece Georgina has managed to beat me at it, too. There isn’t much player interaction in the basic game, which is pretty much a race to achieve the objectives on the story card. I believe the “Pirates and Bounty Hunters” extension is supposed to change that, but we haven’t worked up to that yet. You’re right that it takes up a lot of space — side tables for various card decks might be useful. And although the game is fun, I found the rules very poorly written for reference.

All the best,

John.

General Slade
    Participant

I’m a huge fan of Firefly and was really looking forward to this one. The game looks great. The components are very nice.  But the actual game play leaves a lot to be desired. There is virtually no player interaction and having played it once I don’t think I could be bothered to ever play it again.

On an associated topic, I’ve also got the Serenity RPG, and though I have never played it I still think it was worth the purchase price just for the section which teaches you how to swear in Chinese.

Mike
    Keymaster

We like that there is little interaction between players.
    However if you do want that, then the pirate expansion is right up your alley, you get to board and raid other ships!

Noel
    Participant

We got this over the weekend.  My wife enjoys it so far and I think our other board gaming buddies will like it.  The low player interaction actually appeals to my wife (considering how much she relishes beating my butt in conflict games, this surprised me).  I enjoy the way the game creates a story for each player.

Mike
    Keymaster

We also like the fact is player vs the game more than player vs each other.
    Though you can buy expansions that make it about boarding each others vessel to rob and be bad guys.

Noel
    Participant

Yes, it is more like a race to the top than a direct competition.  I plan on getting the pirates expansion — I’ve read that it doesn’t create a free-for-all piracy game, but one where you still have to pick up the piracy jobs.

We’re playing again, tonight.  Maybe I’ll win this time (or, at least, give my wife some competition). 

Noel
    Participant

What do you do to try to finish the game in a reasonable time?

Last night we ended up rushing through just to get finished to go to sleep (can’t leave games set up, we have cats).

Mike
    Keymaster

What do you do to try to finish the game in a reasonable time?

Not have cats!
    😀
    We leave it set up overnight…

Sorry, not much help that was it…

Noel
    Participant

Hah!

Mike
    Keymaster

So, after feeling guilty for a bit about not being able to help…

Maybe start with more cash and or an extra crew member to get you going?
    Or allow two moves as your two actions, but not two full burns?
    Maybe a full burn and a mosey?

McLaddie
    Participant

Mike:

That looks like a lot of cards, fake money etc.   How many cards would you say are included?

Bill

Mike
    Keymaster

Few hundred..

Noel
    Participant

So, after feeling guilty for a bit about not being able to help… Maybe start with more cash and or an extra crew member to get you going? Or allow two moves as your two actions, but not two full burns? Maybe a full burn and a mosey?

No need to feel guilty!

I may play around with it, but at the moment I don’t want to change anything that may alter the balance or experience of the game.

One day I will be rich and can afford one of those nice game tables that can be covered between playing…

https://www.boardgametables.com/

McLaddie
    Participant

Wow, nearly 450 cards of various sorts.  Impressive.  Thanks for the display!  That isn’t a bad set of physical game equipment for @ $36. I also see that they already have an expansion set.

Noel
    Participant

This game has a big footprint for sure.

Mike
    Keymaster

I also see that they already have an expansion set.

There are quite a few.
    If you like the series it is definitely worth a go, if you have never watched it then it will probably just be an ok game.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Sorry to bring this down to filthy lucre, but I was interested and then checked prices in the UK (not exhaustively, just a quick online search) and  with most at £46+ its on the edge of my interest/cost curve. (just seen one at £37)

Then I see McLaddie quoting $36 –  even with the disastrous exchange rate it comes out at c£27.50 – what is going on?

I am used to the ‘transport/exchange rate/etc’ reasons and I used to expect a straight 1:1 translation of dollar prices to pounds for boardgames but this seems excessive. Is it now standard to expect this level of difference between dollar and pound prices?

Noel
    Participant

I think GF9 is in Australia or New Zealand.

Noel
    Participant

I went all out and bought all of the expansions.  It is a major table hog.

McKinstry
    Participant

<sub>We play it as a family game with my with a myself along with my son and his wife. All of us are Firefly fans and the limited interaction hasn’t been an impediment to enjoying building your own story. I was given the ‘whole damn verse’ mat the does somewhat help the space issue when playing with the expanded verse.</sub>

The tree of Life is self pruning.

darthfozzywig
    Participant

I’ve played it a few times. I can enjoy it for the Firefly-ness of the story it makes, but as a game I think it’s something of a mess. I didn’t feel my decisions were very meaningful, and I think games are all about meaningful decisions. Example: most of the mission cards have a short cut – e.g. if you have item X you succeed, otherwise you roll the dice.  But since you acquire both missions and items rather randomly, you may find yourself repeatedly rolling against long-odds while other plays happen to have “horses” or “fancy duds” or whatever that allows them to skate on. It ends up being really random. Fine for a narrative, but not necessarily a satisfactory competitive game.

Kevin Smyth
    Participant

I got it for Christmas a couple of years ago. It’s fun, and definitely has the flavor of Firefly, but as others have said, it’s huge to set up. I think I’ve played it as a two player game and as a four player. Could not quite get my arms around it, and think it’s a game that is best played regularly.

Noel
    Participant

I ordered this: http://www.thebrokentoken.com/big-damn-crate/

I like that it cuts down on the setup and breakdown time, as well as the space issue.

Mike
    Keymaster

crumbs!

Noel
    Participant

I got it on Wednesday.  I fully intended to document the staining and assembling process, but got so caught up in doing it that I didn’t take a single picture.

I stained it and assembled it over three evenings.

It’s a beautiful box and yesterday I took it on a dry run to see how much utility it has.  It works great.

My dining table is roughly 6×4 and with all the expansions, this game took up nearly the entire table.  Playing out of the box made things much more compact.  All of the trays are removable and stackable, but I really like being able to turn the box on its side and play that way.

The box has many nice touches and shows thought in design.  The ship trays hold the ships nicely and have compartments for dice.  The card tray that is meant to hold the bounty cards has three slots on top of it to display the current bounties and these can be stood up even when the tray remains in the box.

The card trays each have a couple of nubs and indents, to make them interlocking when stacked so that they have some stability in case you want to stack them on the table.

Possibly the only problem I have with the design is that the cover fits very tightly and is difficult to remove.  This puts strain on the cover corners and they came apart.  I ended up regluing them (I used wood glue to assemble it) and put some brass rods in them to add strength.  I have the feeling that I’ll end up sanding the inside corners a bit, though.

Overall, it is a great addition to the game.  Yes, it’s mighty expensive (nearly doubling the cost of the game), but it is so incredibly functional, cutting down on the game’s real estate usage and setup time, that I am very happy to own it.  It’s also nice to look at.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.