Home Forums Modern Firing Russian RPG's From Enclosed Spaces?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

As my build up to war in Vietnam continues, could anyone settle once and for all if the RPG2 and 7 be fired from a building or bunker?

I have read on Wikipedia that there is anecdotal evidence to suggest the RPG 7 can be fired from a structure providing there is a minimum of two meters clear space behind the launcher.  As to the RPG 2, I’ve been unable to find anything on this subject.  I suspect it probably couldn’t be, but this is not based on anything concrete, just a gut feeling.

Any help very much appreciated.

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Participant

This video suggests that it’d probably be pretty unpleasant to be inside a room when that thing goes off, it could probably be done if times are desperate enough.

Maybe a morale check to fire the thing or the firer is pinned down (depending on rules set)

Participant

My undrstanding is that you can do both, but only once.

Participant

As my build up to war in Vietnam continues, could anyone settle once and for all if the RPG2 and 7 be fired from a building or bunker?
    I have read on Wikipedia that there is anecdotal evidence to suggest the RPG 7 can be fired from a structure providing there is a minimum of two meters clear space behind the launcher. As to the RPG 2, I’ve been unable to find anything on this subject. I suspect it probably couldn’t be, but this is not based on anything concrete, just a gut feeling.
    Any help very much appreciated.

The rule for keeping 2m clear of obstructions (as distinct from the 30m personnel safety zone) behind the RPG-7 is mentioned in TRADOC Bulletin 3 on the weapon: https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/rpg-7.pdf

The PRG-7’s rocket motor ignites outside the tube, and the propellant just needs to bounce it out of the tube. RPG-2, on the other hand, uses the initial propelling charge to get the warhead all the way to the target, so I expect it needs a bigger charge.

All the best,

John.

Great answers guys, and that’s a really good link John.

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.