Home Forums Horse and Musket American Civil War First foray into block warfare…

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Inspired solely by andrew on his topic here: https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/slow-mind-small-games/

My eager self wants to try some basic gaming with blocks. The type of game that always seems to fit best for me (in this type) is ACW and although i know little about the intricacies of the era i know enough to run games with simple rules. I aim to try a rule set called “see the elephant” but i can’t seem to refind them on the internet even though i found them just two nights ago!

I spray painted some blocks today and i’ll be hunting for symbols to put on them later. I’m going to keep it simple for sure, and i can’t wait to play.

WWW.WICKEDWARGAMES.COM - The wargames company i run with a friend.

Participant

I decided to go right on and make the markers on publisher with vectors.

Participant

Have to agree that ACW fits the blocks perfectly – the pictures are ace and will save having little triangles to show the front as my resin ones have.

I was in two minds to put unit markings on them (possibly just a single number or letter) but after the first game I’m not going to bother as the wound counters worked well. Depending on the rules and how long a unit takes to be removed you may need to identify the block to keep track of the damage.

I do enjoy grid based games (the last echos of the old hex based board games I played many years ago I think) – will you go gridded and if so what type?  Normally I use hexes but I’ve been contemplating offset squares as they are easier to draw!

I’m still wondering about the board and stopping the felt terrain moving – need to play another game or two to see if it’s as bad as I think it may be.  I am a bit of a clumsy so-and-so when moving figures and I hope that’s just the issue.

Sorry (not) for getting you interested in another type of gaming…

Participant

Oh – I forgot.  The rules are from The Stronghold (Rebuilt) https://hordesofthethings.blogspot.com/p/free-stuff.html

Edit: And forgot you can edit posts – duh…

Participant

Test army went well, Not sure on the rough layout of troops for the civil war but i presume it’s something like this for a brigade?

EDIT: This was so easy, scissors and glue stick, it was almost zen, I will be reccomending this to people.

Participant

It rather depends on what each unit represents but I would have thought it a bit light on infantry … or with too much cavalry and infantry.

I took [top-down] troop images from Junior General, printed them and stuck them on MDF bases, which seemed to work well for Command and Colors Napoleonics.

www.olivercromwell.org; www.battlefieldstrust.com
    6mm wargames group: [email protected]; 2mm wargames group: [email protected]

Participant

I assumes each block is representing a regiment?  Apart from very early in the war or in remote areas the brigade would have a single troop type, cavalry or infantry.  Between 4 and 6 regiments usually.  Artillery would be grouped at division, corps and army level.

There's 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.....

Participant

I find this to be irredeemably block-headed. 😉

But seriously, I did something like this before I got into the picoscales with painted matchsticks lengthwise on bases for Napoleonics.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

But seriously, I did something like this before I got into the picoscales with painted matchsticks lengthwise on bases for Napoleonics.

Clever. As a teenager  I  used balsa rods that I cut up, painted and stuck coloured pins in as strength markers. Anything to save money and make gaming affordable!

www.olivercromwell.org; www.battlefieldstrust.com
    6mm wargames group: [email protected]; 2mm wargames group: [email protected]

Participant

Nice to see some interest in the project. Ironically years ago i released a game that was based around the concept of cutting up sheets of plastic granny grating for troops in rows (regiments) it did quite well and got some traction, there are still people playing the style. The whole system was about saving money really. And the game is fun, also in redevlopment but it’ll be a good while before it’s done. Some pictures of that style:

ALSO: some updates re the current block project, the game is coming along. I got some pritner ink so i can print out a field with a grid on it, it’s just a google image file again in publisher and a grey table on top. It’ll do for sure!

Participant

So i got over excited after my first very confused playtest of the rules/ The writer himself explicitly sytates that he stole the rules and system style from two other games, so i feel no qualms in announcing i did my own trim and restyle. I put four hours into a redraft of the rules. new name, loads of new rules and additions as well as some condensing and removal or the chaff. It’s a whole new system now, it’s own thing. And i’m super proud of the front two pages. They’re w.i.p of course as we’ll likely develop this for sale (my business partner is excited to) so it’ll be a while before we’ll release the the rules for reading but yay, new projects are literally my favorite thing.

Participant

Ok so excitment continues. I knocked up a grid, some terrain with space for models and selected some models from the steam workshop on tabletop simulator and we’re ready to playtest remotely. Lot’s of exciting progress.

Participant

Wow – drop off reading posts for a day or two and come back to this!

The blocks look sweet – no idea about the make up beyond what I’ve seen in the Warlord Epic box set TBH.  The make up of OHW allows a max of two cavalry or artillery units so gut feel is the set you have is light on infantry.  A quick Google did not turn up much but may be look at the history battles of the period – they may have a better breakdown.

I had not thought of printing a board.  The local printing house does up to A1 and laminated – may be worth looking into but I get the feeling the felt I’m using will slip even more!

I should look at the tabletop simulator (assuming it works on a Mac) and dig out the Portable Wargames book – project for next year???

I had not seen the ACW grating armies before – not sure why I missed them when you first released the rules unless I had my head buried in ancients for some reason (blush) I had to give up with the grating in the end as I had problems with the paint sticking and locally the cost went through the roof – so much so we have only just started making things (flowers, boxes etc) again and I’ve now left that to Sue rather than get frustrated over the instructions…

I keep wondering about getting the Forward March Studios STL files and getting them printed but feel like that’s too big a step at the moment esp. as there are 300+ files to drool over…

Participant

Hey Andrew, I think the motivation and progress comes from the approachable and digestible nature of this type of gaming. I also work basically full time as a game developer right now, so it’s fairly normal in my sphere for things to propel forward at the onset, slowing down later on.

As per battle make up i watched some great youtube videos last night, they more or less implied it was about 70 percent infantry, 20 artillery (maybe more) and maybe 9.9 percent cavalry with 0.1 percent gatling guns. subsequently i shall be adding the much overlooked gatling gun to the rule set i’m writing. Your welcome to be privvy to the writing process? We welcome collaberation in our company and we’d be glad to pay you or even just give you free copies. Furthermore with awareness of the mental health situaiton you find yourself in we wouldn’t expect anything form you. Either way, the offer stands if you feel that contributing to something right now might help spark up the mental health situation, i know mine has gone from 0-60/70% in health since we started it, i was very low before we did, Covid rinsed my mental health.

Tabletop simulator is AMAZING. I can’t say much more than that. I can make the maps i’m building available to you as well and the system costss about £14.00 and the workshop on there includes (in caps because i want to impress the crazy nature of this) ALMOST EVERY GAME IN THE WORLD. From board games to games workshop to even simple board games like chess.

ACW grating was a fans project but the actual system is designed for ancients. Deffo check out the rules. They’re all entirely free here: http://wickedwargames.weebly.com/–free-stuff.html

Participant

Welcome to updates central.

Today i added some gatling guns to the mix, although proportionately a minimal weapon in the acw they did still make a rare appearence here or there and are going to be in our game.

I also got some magnet sheets off amazon (granted they’re not very strong but JUST strong enough to stop things moveg about on a train/ in a car as required) and put one inside the lid of the box as well as a plainer green grass texture which looks great. A little “garden”-y but great.

I also added some dice and a little storage box for the figures.

Finally here is a snap of the book w.i.p. It’s taken on a totally new life of it’s own and we’re super excited. We’re making an official announcement about the project tomorrow.

Participant

Wow!  Not sure where to start…

Very very kind of you to offer the chance to contribute and I honestly would love to help but TBH it’s way beyond me at this time.  I did a few hours after lunch at the local heritage centre yesterday (I’m creating an index of 1800+ people across 7 books for them) and spent the morning before shaking and today curled up on the settee dead. Best news was I did it and did not need any tablets – next weeks visit may well be easier on me given how well I managed.

The magnetic sheet is a neat idea – I’ve used it for 15mm figures as bases before today and wondered about either sticking metal sheet to the blocks or drilling a hole and using a magnet to hold them. Currently I store them in the dice tray but need to varnish them so the paint does not chip off. The other thought is to get Battle Foam to cut something for me but the site does not work on my iPad and I hate to guess the price.

The box looks ace and I must admit to being green in envy at your results so far – I need to up my game  and play another game come to that. I wonder if a little wood shim / block on the lid edge would save the hinges pulling out long term.

The printed map looks a decent size for a quick game – am I correct in thinking some of the rectangles are sat on the top to allow for moveable terrain features?

I have bookmarked the Perry TravelBattle board but the scenery is fixed – OK you can flip the boards around but that’s it.

Good of you to release the grating rules FOC – I was a KS backer and look forward to buying the ACW rules when you release them.

Participant

Interesting.  Regarding the Gatling guns, one reason they were weren’t used much during the ACW is technical rather than just military conservatism. It wasn’t until the late 1860’s that metal cartridges were produced with stronger cases, greatly reducing jams. So says Ellis’ ” The Social History of the Machine Gun”.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Participant

Hey Andy, The squares on top represent trees and villages yeah but it would be doable with the felt method you’ve been using to. As per magnetisation, it didn’t work to well sadly but i will likely try find a stronger sheet of magnets.

The perry travel battle is basically a “we have enough money to make a really cool game” version of what me and my work partner want to do with this hehe.

Arthur

Participant

This project has come along leaps and bounds since I last checked in on it. Keep up the good work!

Participant

As per magnetisation, it didn’t work to well sadly but i will likely try find a stronger sheet of magnets.

The perry travel battle is basically a “we have enough money to make a really cool game” version of what me and my work partner want to do with this hehe. Arthur

Shame about the sheet – they are so random in pull power going by the notepads on our fridge! Maybe a small rare earth magnet and a hole or two in the base is the way to go. Dangerous things due to their power – I’ve nipped the flesh on my finger but not had one shatter when I used these for interchangeable weapons on 28mm figures.

I had hoped that the Perry set would increase options long term but it never did and Warlords new ACW works out frighteningly expensive unless you mix and match with Kallistra for the ‘extra’ units. I do have some of the Warlord infantry tucked away for next year (two strips = one block) but a bit miffed that some will need to be plastic, some ‘resin’ and some metal – I feel it’s unlikely to fly as a project at the mo…

Oh yes – thank you for the mention on your blog (blush).

Participant

Hey all, played a really fun game yesterday, solo. It works well even for solo so long as you keep track of who has initiative and activations with different colored pips. I didnt record the game as it was quick and long but i will maybe do a playtest video for people so they can see how it plays.

We’re still working on destinguishing the “gatling guns” from the canons. Not a simple task when the rules are SO simple, it actually makes some things harder ironically.

Pics below, some charges, some in action pics and a pic at the end of the new hole i drilled for the activation pips at the top of a unit piece (i went on to drill one in each piece). I’m using battleship pips to record things and i put new magnets on the bottom as they work much better than the sheet magnets i was using, sadly they turned out to be a bit of awaste of money but they work for the terrain sheet, so not a total waste but in the final product we will be manafacturing it’ll have slots for magnets for sure.

Participant

First thoughts on Gatling guns are:

Give them shorter range than artillery but more damage close in.

Artillery in my OHW block game can reach anywhere on the table and that’s a pain so a reduced range at a lower point cost may work better than more damage as a differentiator if you are using points to build armies.

Those pegs are very neat – maybe a bit hard to source assuming each Battleship game is slightly different. Matchsticks  (esp the modelling kind without the end covered in combustible material) come to mind along with white plastic rod. Do the colours / position signify anything specific?

Participant

Accesability for the pegs is a real issue yes, we aim to get the game cut onto two sheets of A2 or A4 plywood, laser cut with the board, unit blocks, terrain etc all cut into two sheet max, maybe even one depending on final scale. It’d be very cheap for us. Which is part of the objective of the project, affordability. With that in mind the pegs would have to be on that precipice of accesability and affordability to…match sticks seems doable but cutting them has always been a bit unpredictable in my excperience. Maybe i should look into an alternative like pips in little circles or something.

Keymaster

match sticks seems doable but cutting them has always been a bit unpredictable in my excperience

Would a Chopper help?

LINK

Participant

Anyone noticed we are talking about a square peg and round hole???

Threethoughts:

1) eBay have bags of spare parts – maybe one of them or Alibaba etc can supply large numbers

2) A 3D resin printer should be able to knock these out by the 100

3) Maybe a school supplier has something (esp coloured matchsticks)

Participant

Hey All,  so me and my colleuge powered on with this project and it’s now almost ready to launch. We have test prints of the now extensively improved book. Can’t wait to share it with you all soon.

See our updates here:

BLOG POST 

(though they are few, we have made loads of progress, it’s a very well written and playtested game at this point. i think we just burned out on updating about it as we went.)

Participant

… i think we just burned out on updating about it as we went.

Take care of yourselves – no game rules are worth getting ill over!

Participant

Aw cheers bud but it’s not the writing and playtesting that gets us really. It’s the adding three extra hours to write, edit and post updates on the web. Really we need a person to do it for us. However the rules are looking lush and we’ve managed to balance things pretty well. So soon we’ll have more time to update.

Participant

Hey All, so me and my colleuge powered on with this project and it’s now almost ready to launch. We have test prints of the now extensively improved book. Can’t wait to share it with you all soon.

See our updates here: http://wickedwargames.weebly.com/–blog/category/momentous-issue-of-war (though they are few, we have made loads of progress, it’s a very well written and playtested game at this point. i think we just burned out on updating about it as we went.)

Link doesn’t work for me, I get 404 page not found.

Participant

Hey we have no idea how this happened, truly baffled. Try the new link or try this one:

BLOG POST 

Participant

That works, thanks.

Participant

For those who prefer to read here, some of the pages from the book. As you can see, they’ve progressed massively.

Keymaster

That is quite fancy.

Participant

Nice eye candy!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.