Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic First Four Napoleonic Cavalry Units, Old Glory in 10mm

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

All,

When it comes to my perpetual Napoleonics project, I’ve been able to keep my nose at least occasionally in contact with the grindstone.  Fresh on the heels of finishing off twelve infantry battalions (six French and six Austrian), I have completed my first four cavalry units.  I say “units” as I’m not sure what they’re supposed to be, so if you can help me steer me on the right track, please do.  Here’s the deal: I’ll be playing the rules “Black Powder,” and/or “Drums and Shakos Large Battles,” maybe some “LaSalle.”  The base infantry unit is the battalion; so, to be on ‘equal’ footing with regards to rules and base units, would the base unit of cavalry be the squadron or the regiment?

In any case, these are great looking troops from Russ and Connie of Old Glory 25s, in 10mm Grand Scale, which I’m quite fond of.  Each unit has a command base of Officer, Colors, and Music, and then three bases of troopers.  There is one unit each of: Austrian Hussars, Austrian Cuirassiers, French Hussars, and French Line Lancers.  Enjoy!

All four units, from top: Austrian Hussars, Austrian Cuirassiers, French Line Lancers, and French Hussars, with four bases per unit. To see a bunch more photos of these troops, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2017/08/first-four-napoleonic-cavalry-units-old.html

Anyway, hope you like them, and I continue marching towards the day I’m actually able to play a game.  Hope we’re all alive to see it 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Those look great, it’s particularly impressive when I compare how they look at a gaming distance with the extreme closeups.  Impressive and impressionist. 🙂

Just Jack
    Participant

Thanks Vicki!  Is “Impressionist” another way of saying ‘suck-ass painter’? 😉

I’m happy with them, it’s just so hard for me to get enough of them done, so much more work (even with the haphazard slapping on of paint) than painting up a platoon of WWII/Moderns.  And boring (the repetition)…  But I’m getting there.

V/R,
    Jack

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Thanks Vicki! Is “Impressionist” another way of saying ‘suck-ass painter’? 😉 

It was intended as a compliment. 🙂

My personal preference is for figures painted to look good on the table rather than held a few inches from the end of my nose while I examine the exquisite detail of their buttons and lace.  Your cavalry look perfect for gaming with.

I’m not criticising people who choose to paint every little detail, I wish I had their ability so I had the choice, but for the purposes of playing wargames it would be wasted effort for me.

vtsaogames
    Participant

Nice brushwork, Jack. My guess: if your battalions are 40 figures strong, then 12 figure cavalry units should be squadrons, assuming battalions were generally 700-600 strong and squadrons 200-120 strong. Of course there were battalions of 1,000 and just a few hundred…

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Just Jack
    Participant

Vicki – I know it was a compliment; thank you Ma’am, I’m just not good at taking compliments 😉

Vtsao – Gotcha, and thanks, that certainly makes sense.  I’m actually looking at giving another two stands per infantry battalion (six total) and one more stand per cavalry squadron (five total).  I wasn’t as worried about figure count as I was concerned with unit footprint on the table.  So, with infantry and cavalry being on the same sized bases, and with infantry having six bases and cav being five (they’re both four right now), do you figure cav should be regiments or squadrons?

V/R,
    Jack

vtsaogames
    Participant

Most sets of rules using battalions as basic infantry units have cavalry regiments. That said, cavalry during this period took up roughly twice the frontage per soldier. So 300 troopers (2 or 3 squadrons?) in line would take up the same frontage as 600 infantry in line.

Let’s see, 6 stands of infantry represent say 600 foot sloggers, or 100 each stand. 5 stands of cavalry at 50 each would be 250 troopers, a weak regiment or half of a strong one. Whatever works.

French cavalry usually fielded 3 or 4 squadrons, British 2 or 3. Austrians might field up to 5, 10 for some regiments, ditto for 1806 Prussians. Later Prussians usually had 4 squadrons. There were always exceptions.

So your cavalry could be regiments (on campaign for a while) or a pair of squadrons early in the campaign, before the horses start dying. This varies depending on the nation.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your troops in action.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by vtsaogames.

Just Jack
    Participant

Vtsao,

Thanks for taking the time to lay all that out for me, I really appreciate.  I suppose I’ll go with ‘regiments on campaign for awhile,’ as I want to field brigades of two tabletop units of different types of horse (lancers and hussars, dragoons and cuirassiers, etc), rather than brigades of four tabletop units (two hussar and two lancer, to make two regiments).

“I look forward to seeing pictures of your troops in action.”
    Yeah man, me too, I’m just not sure I’m ever gonna get there! 😉  Especially if I’ve got to go back and add two more stands to each infantry battalion.

Having said that, and I haven’t posted them yet, but I’ve completed two artillery batteries for each side and three battalions of legere/jagers/grenzer, just need to do up some command stands and another couple units of cavalry per side.  The artillery batteries are only one stand each, though I made two per battery, one showing unlimbered and one limbered.  The unlimbered has two guns deployed and firing, the limbered has one gun begin drug by the horse team (which I had to shorten a bit).  I’ll try and get them posted ASAP.

V/R,
    Jack

vtsaogames
    Participant

squadron/battalion strengths could be all over the place. Here are some French from the Waterloo Companion:

2nd Dragoons, 593 in 4 squadrons, 8th Cuirassiers, 300 in 3 squadrons, 11th Chasseurs a Cheval, 485 in 3 squadrons.

2nd Legere, 2,294 in 4 battalions, 27th Ligne, 821 in 2 battalions, 85th Ligne, 631 in 2 battalions, 51st Ligne, 1,168 in 2 battalions

And British:

2nd Dragoons (Scots Greys), 444 in 3 squadrons, 7th Hussars, 362 in 3 squadrons.

1/52nd Light Infantry 1,130, 1st KGL Line battalion, 478, 3/14, 640.

And this was a short campaign, the battle coming on the fourth day.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.