Home Forums Medieval First Game of Lion Rampant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My copy of Lion Rampant arrived yesterday so I had a quick game today and I have to say I’m very impressed with it. 🙂

I played a clash between Anglo-Saxons and Norman, lets say sometime in 1067.

To see how it turned out follow the link. 🙂

http://crazywargames.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/lion-rampant.html

Participant

Great AAR and I’m glad you enjoyed the rules.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Oh no, now I need to know more about these rules. Thank’s Victoria!

Participant

Great first game!

Thanks for posting.

We’ve been playing Lion Rampant for a couple of years now off and on for Wars of the Roses, and it still has lots of mileage in it. It isn’t a purists game but we haven’t found anything that makes us think we will stop anytime soon. There has been a bit of an arms race going on however, but I have to say mounted knights have so far proved over priced for their effect.

Look forward to hearing about your experience with Lion Rampant and WotR.

Participant

Thanks for the kind comments. 🙂

Looking through my lead pile I’m surprised how many Medieval and Dark Ages figures I’ve bought and only painted a few of before moving onto the next shiny new thing, looks like I could have quite a few retinues without having to spend anything.  This is definitely a good thing.  

The Men Who Would Be Kings is another one I need to get, I have enough (mostly unpainted) figures for the Zulu War, Indian Mutiny and Sudan to make complete forces for both sides in each of these (with maybe a few extra figures needed to round out units, mostly cavalry).

I knew all that money I spent in the past would turn out to be a good investment one day. 🙂

Participant

Second game report is up now, this time I tried the Bloodfeud scenario.

http://crazywargames.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/bloodfeud.html

No gaming over the weekend, babysitting time, but on Monday I should have my mounted knights based up for the Wars of the Roses so I’ll try a cavalry skirmish then hopefully. 🙂

Participant

Another good AAR  thanks, Victoria!

Participant

I read some reviews of the rules, not sure I want to get them after all. All my Normans Vikings and Saxons are based for DBA/M and I don’t  want to rebase.

Participant

Kyoteblue – don’t let that put you off at all!

I will quote briefly:

‘If your collection includes multiple models on a communal base, you can still play Lion Rampant without much * difficulty: just be prepared to to ignore the direction the models are actually facing, and think of them as a blob of troops with no flanks or rear. You’ll also need to mark casualties as they occur (small dice are a discreet way of doing so).’

I have played with mounted Impetus units filling in while I painted up some WotR cavalry without any problem, other than the usual one of the way I play!

*I would say ANY

Participant

Two excellent AAR’s Victoria, thanks for sharing.   I am currently reading through mine (been away at Bristol for a few days), they are very easy read.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.