Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic First Two Old Glory 10mm Napoleonic Battalions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

As I mentioned, no gaming this past weekend, but I was pretty productive in terms of cleaning stuff up, painting, and basing, and other than the completed stuff I’m posting, I also moved down the road a ways in terms of getting a lot of other stuff done as well. I keep dreaming of Napoleons; I bought a slew in 10mm, painted by someone else, based for brigade-level games (like Blucher, Volley and Bayonet, Grand Armee, etc…), then determined that really wasn’t the type of game I was looking for (if anyone is interested in these Napoleonics: http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2013/12/10mm-napoleonic-french.html and http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2013/12/napoleonic-coalition-forces.html , please let me know. Note, these have almost entirely been re-based for 12 infantry and three cavalry per stand). Then I bought a slew of Baccus 6mm Napoleonics, painted some, but ultimately bogged down and sold them off. Well, I hopped in again, of course. Next month will be a full year ago that I bought a slew in 10mm Napoleonics from Connie and Russ over at OG 25s.

Well, suffice to say, I’d gotten some stuff done, but not a whole lot… But, having seen Steve on his “Sound Officers Call” blog cavorting about, having a good time playing some Black Powder (http://soundofficerscall.blogspot.com/2017/03/friday-night-naps.html) has spurred me to action, and so I got busy to painting and basing. I painted up a total of six French and one Austrian battalions, and decided to base one of each up to see how they’d look; that was actually part of the problem. Part of my sluggishness was regarding the issue of basing. I had planned on going with big, 80-man battalions, but I saw Steve’s basing up of 40-man battalions and figured that would work just fine. So let’s take a look.

One battalion each of French (left) and Austrians (right). I love the Old Glory five-man strips, they’re perfect for Napoleonics (for what I’m wanting to do). But I hate painting the flags… So, each battalion is four stands of ten men, with my stands being 30mm squares. To see more pics, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2017/03/first-two-old-glory-10mm-napoleonic.html

I need to start knocking these infantry out, then move on to cavalry, then artillery (to include limbers), then command. Damn, plenty of work to do, but I’ve got to get to it if I ever hope to actually play a damn game! My plan it to do small chunks: six French infantry battalions, then six Austrian, followed by a couple cavalry regiments each, a couple artillery batteries each, and a couple command stands each. That way I can at least MAYBE get a game in this decade. The danger there is that I get enough done for a game and say hell with finishing up the rest! Anyway, thanks for looking, and next up is some more modern troops.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Very nicely done. I look forward to some battle reports with these.

I am coming around to thinking that when starting a new project, getting games up and running early is important to understand what rules and basing you really want and to motivate to get a few more units painted – to that end, I am happy to game with empty bases and unpainted figures supplementing my growing forces. In your case for Black Powder, you could already have units of 5 bases, with only one of those bases having figures. It might not be pretty, but it is practical and does get the dice rolling.

Participant

Jack:

Noooooooooooooooooo! Bad Jack! Stay away from the naughty Napoleonics. You’ll go blind or become obsessed with the minutiae of this pointless part of military history. Step back and walk away while you still can! Nice figures by the way.

Cheers and good (non-Napoleonic) gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Those look very nice. 🙂

Participant

Norm – Thanks!  And that’s the problem with this, isn’t it?  I’m used to knuckling down and getting all the painting done at once, then getting it on the table, but that’s purely impossible given how massive the forces are…

Rod – Good Lord, man, simmer down!  You’ve got an irrational hangup here; okay, show Jack on the doll where Napoleon touched you 😉

Vicki – Thank ya Ma’am!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Looking good!

Cheers,

The Bandit

Participant

Thanks Bandit, I appreciate it!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Don’t encourage him. This is wrong on so many levels!

Bad Jack!

Cheers and good nonlinear wargaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Good grief, Rod!  Napoleonic warfare is majestic; don’t hate it because it’s beautiful 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.