Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games Historical FiveCore Napoleonic game AAR

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    shelldrake
    Participant

I introduced my friend to the FiveCore rules last night, and we played a Napoleonic skirmish game.

Sorry there are no photos, as we used some unpainted miniatures, and I didn’t rely want to face the crucifixion that goes on in forums when people post photos of unpainted minis being used in a game.

Normally I would teach any rules to my friend with a step by step proceedure introducing movement, firing, melee etc one at a time, but with FiveCore I only had to explain the basics and were jumped right in.

We both controlled a half platoon of British riflemen each, and had to stop the French from taking a bridge. The French were made up of Light infantrymen and dismounted Dragoons. (We were playing a co-op game using ideas for solo play in the rules).

The first few turns saw a bit of movement, some small firefights, and then the French Light Infantry moved on to the bridge but were repelled. The Dragoons seeing this went in to a Firefight to provide cover for the retreating infantry(I am turning the dice rolls in to a story here).

One group of Riflemen advance on to the bridge to take possesion of it, whilst the other group take positions along the riverbank and provide harassing fire.

The Dragoons charge the riflemen on the bridge and are also forced back.

The French regroup and look like charging the riflemen on the bridge a second time.

A roll for the Riflemen on the Bridge – a 1! they scurry off the bridge and form up off the bridge, preparing to repel any counter attack. This was lucky, as they were in a bad position if charged.

The French line infantry rolled a 6: a fire fight. I put this down to harassing fire to force the british off the bridge, although no one was there to fire at. (again tying the dice roll into a narrative for the game)

The French forces form up near the bridge getting ready to charge across.

The moment came – the French scurried on to the bridge – with no reaction fire being allowed they almost crossed the bridge before finishing their move. If they can survive the next British activation, they can charge in to the riflemen and make them pay for delaying the Emperor’s forces.

On the British activation the front three riflemen opened fire, knocking one down, killing one and forcing another to retreat. Still not enough to force the French break.

The French charge, one dragoon man puts one riflemen out of the game, follows up and is taken down by two riflemen. A second dragoons forces a rifleman back (flee result) and another fails his attack and panics.

The rifleman force the remaining dragoon that charged to flee, and two others fire parting shots at the dragoon, putting him out of action. The French are down to four men per detachment, and must test morale when next activated.

The riflemen next to the river take some pot shots at the French on the bridge to no effect.

Testing for morale, the French hold on… just. Given this is a significant setback for the French, I roll on the Determination table

and roll….

a 6!

The French retreat!

This leaves the British victorious, having repelled the French attempt to capture the bridge.

I decided to roll on the campaign injury table for two riflemen knocked out to the fight during the game, and the first one had been knocked out and recovers, and the second one suffered a light wound, and wont be able to join in any action for four campaign days.

Of course there were some minor actions taking place during the main action mentioned above.

It was the best game we had played for years. The rules were simple to learn, fun and fast to play, gave good results, and had us on the edge of our seats wanting to play more.

The game was played with 28mm figures, but we are thinking of doing a campaign using 15mm for the Napoleonic setting to really get a grand feeling for the setting.

Thanks to Ivan for an excellent game, and you have two new die hard convert fan boys of FiveCore.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Nice! Sounds like a pretty epic fight (of small proportions). Glad you had a great time!

Did you use the old modifications I did or just wing it along the way?

My personal gaming looks like complete heresy so don’t feel too bad about it πŸ™‚

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

shelldrake
    Participant

We used the modifications you made, with one modification: We extended the range of the rifles a little. Every thing else stayed unchanged.

We also created:

a rule for Trumpeters – if activated with an officer, they could attempt to rally friendly troops. (kind of like the Commander skill ‘rallying cry’, but with greater range)

a rule for formations: if the entire unit is in base to base contact, and an officer/leader is in base to base contact with that unit, a volley fire order could be given if they remain stationary, or a formed body of troops could make a normal move and remain in that formations, provided they did not scurry or move over obstacles. (work in progress… we intend to try playing with units of 20 figures, and it will require a minimum number of troops be in the unit to work)

An officer can order a formation change: roll 1d6: (also a work in progress.. needs a lot more play testing, and will include a modifier or sepcial condition if a musician of some kind is present and in base to base contact)

1 : the formation change takes longer than anticipated. The unit must try again next activation to form up
    2-5: the formation change is completed
    6: the unit is in disaray. It must rally to work as a formation again, and if attacked whist in disarray, must pass a morale test and risk being panicked.

Different formations: Line = allows volley fire
    column = a movement benefit and a brawling benefit. Only Line Infantry can use column (i.e. dedicated skirmishers/riflemen can’t form up in column).
    Square = benefit in brawling vs cavalry… still not sure if a square will work with so few figures though.

We are intending to play units of half platoons, so maybe a square can only be formed if the two half platoons joins as one. Again this still needs to be worked on.

Mike
    Keymaster

Dammit, don’t make me dig out my Sharpe DVD boxed set…

shelldrake
    Participant

Dammit, don’t make me dig out my Sharpe DVD boxed set…

why not – I have my Sharpe DVD box set out… πŸ˜‰

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

I’d have to toy with it on a table, but I like your starting point for formations and the rally roll.

For multiple large units, I might consider rolling activations per unit rather than once for the whole force.

For skirmishing, I might consider dropping the square, though a basic “hunker down with bayonets forwards” option does seem like it’d be a good idea to keep the foot sloggers alive πŸ™‚

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

Yeah, the ‘square’ doesn’t fit the skirmish level we are playing at, still not sure it will work too well. Maybe leave formations and cavalry out of a skirmish game.

One activation per unit will work well with multiple units on the table, with the whole unit being activated as one.

This would allow a platoon/company level game easily enough.

So, for a ‘platoon/company” level game:

Units are half platoon/half troop or half a battery, or a platoon/troop/battery.

For a skirmish game, I think units of 10 -12 max, with about one or two units per side is best (which is what we used last night), but for a larger game, 14 figures per unit allows for a line and column formation (a unit is 12 figures, 1 officer & 1 musician) seems to work better at the moment with what I am tinkering with.

20+ figures looks good, but might be too many, especially for a small playing area, where as the 14 figure unit has the look, can make formations and is easier to ‘push around’.

Maybe make cavlary units of eight figures, allowing for 6 troopers, 1 officer and 1 musician. Six figures looks too small, and any more than eight is too many. The eight cavlary matches the size of a 14 man infantry unit when in line, so I am happy with this.

Brawling mods for cavlary/vs. infantry: +1 when charging, +1 if carrying a lance. Infantry +2(?) if in square

A larger scale game would allow for the inclusion of Standards/Colours etc. They can be a rallying point and cause negative morale if lost.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Yeah, 20 figures I think would get unwieldy with individual basing. 12-15 sounds like a nice number that still looks like a decent mob on the table πŸ™‚
    I think if infantry is in a proper defensive position, I might not even let the cav attack them. Maybe that’s too boring though?

I’d also ponder throwing some Shock dice when cavalry charge foot troopers to see if they hold up or lose their bottle.

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

Great point re the shock dice for the cav.

Will have to sit down and write up some notes to pass on to you.

I dunno about the square not fitting a skirmish situation. Skirmishers were trained to bunch up in little groups of four to eight guys to hold off cavalry. Probably not as safe as a real square, but still the same principle.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Maybe the solution is just to call it something else?

“Bayonet blob” πŸ™‚

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

I dunno about the square not fitting a skirmish situation.

By this I am referring to the number of figures on the table, not the ability to make a square.

Whirlwind
    Participant

Maybe the solution is just to call it something else?

You could call them clumps, hedgehogs or knots (I’ve seen all of them – I think the first is from German, the second from Dutch).

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

shelldrake
    Participant

Ok, my 15mm Napoleonic FiveCore game is getting legs.

I decided that a unit buy itself can not form a square, but can join with other units to make a square, with each unit forming a side/coner each.

By them selves, a unit can take up a defensive position against cavalry.Β  As I consider the game a large scale skirmish, I honestly don’t think a small detachement of cavalry would be making charges against a large body of formed up infantry anyway.

I might make a different thread for my campaign, and maybe start a different thread for ideas?

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

There’s instances of cavalry breaking squares so it did happen but it seems to be more of a case of riding against them, the infantry losing their nerve and then being chopped up.

Lancers of course is a different story but that’s not much of a charge, i suppose, as much as wandering over and poking at the men.

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

Yeah, that is more of what I was thinking for a ‘large skirmish’.

One of the scenes in the first Sharpe’s Rifles has a mob of cavalry attacking the riflemen, which is more of what I have in mind.

Just Jack
    Participant

Whatever you do, we need pictures!!!

V/R,
    Jack

shelldrake
    Participant

Whatever you do, we need pictures!!! V/R, Jack

absolutely – although at first there may be images of unpainted figures being used, but that will change as the games progress.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Me and the kid just watched the first Sharpe film today actually πŸ™‚

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

Me and the kid just watched the first Sharpe film today actually πŸ™‚

Cool!

I enjoy the films even if they do stray from the books a bit from time to time.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Believe it or not, I never watched them before, but I adore anything with Sean Bean in it. πŸ™‚

I did read a few of the books long long ago though.
    I just realized that the Waterloo book I picked up at the store last weekend was written by Cornwall as well.

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

I am actually reading that Waterloo book at the moment.

Another great read are two books by Mark Urban: “The Man who broke Napoleon’s codes” and “Rifles: Six Years with Wellington’s Legendary Sharpshooters”.

I highly recommend both of those books.

Just Jack
    Participant

I’ve never seen the Sharpe movies either.Β  Sounds like something I need to do.

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.