Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Flag of Russian Napoleonic Pavlovsk Grenadiers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well I’ve been looking at Russian flags as a supplement to my page and I came across something that might be of special interest so I’ve put it on its own thread.

It appears that the Pavlovsk Grenadiers (later L-g. Pavlovsk), while they were assigned orange flags, actually carried red flags (1797 pattern colored flag red cross on white; white flag white cross on red). This mirrors the confusion with their facings which were initially red then corrected to orange.  Unlikely the flag would be changed, though.

Participant

That’s an interesting find.  I’ve been intending to buy some flags for my Pavlovsks from GMB so it will be interesting to see what colour they are.  If it turns out they are orange I will still use them because GMB flags are little works of art in their own right (and for some reason knowing that I am going to give them the wrong colour flags wouldn’t bother me; discovering that I had  given them the wrong colour flags would bug me like hell).

Participant

Yeah, I know the feeling. Put a scratch in your new wood dresser and it’s patina. Find the scratch when it’s delivered and it’s damage! I don’t think you will find anyone else saying it’s red (you could use  Neva’s flag) and I don’t want to get into sources while I’m still working on a draft, but I think it’s pretty solid.

In working on this, I think I’m going to revise my facings page. It looks like лиловый may be better translated as lilac than as purple, after all. And apparently there were two shades of rose being used, beyond the light and pale shades

Participant

Thanks as ever for the updates.   When I first got into Napoleonics I used to think that Russian uniforms of the era were rather dull (I was under the impression they all wore dark green coats with red collars and cuffs).  Now I find them fascinating, even if on times trying to get a handle on all the variations does make my head spin.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.