Home Forums WWII Flames of War

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mark Jones
    Participant

Hello

I am looking to get in to Wargaming and I like WW2

I see Flames of War is popular, would you recommend this game? I was thinking of getting the ‘Open Fire’ starter box

Thank you

Mishima
    Participant

Flames of War is quite popular, especially for those new to the hobby. There is plenty of support for it.

A little background on your experience – do you play any board games, etc may help people give better answers.

At at the end of the day , I’d say, find someone or a club locally and see what they are playing.

Tim from Gomi Designs. 15mm Vietnam riverine. www.gomidesigns.co.uk

Mark Jones
    Participant

Hi Mishima

Flames of War seems to be popular down my local wargaming club but I don’t get out much due to ill health.

As for what I like, I like the diversity of WWII and 15m figures in particular. I like a fluid game where troops can manoeuvre and jockey for best positioning. I realise that sometimes troops and such can get bogged down in a war of attrition, but overall if a ‘move’ at the right time can turn the tide, that’s the kind of game I’d like to play. It helps keep options going from turn to turn.

I should also point out I can’t paint and dislike painting.

Paul
    Participant

Never played Flames of War, so can’t offer an opinion.
    For WW2 I pretty much exclusively play Operation Overlord – it is a card-driven rule system with a great action mechanism that sidesteps the IGOUGO problem and makes turns a lot more unpredictable. If your heart is not set on FoW, I recommend you check it out – I think the new edition “Operation World War II” was even available as a free download from the publishers website and might still be.
    That said, FoW seems to be approximately 1000x more popular, so it would be a lot easier to find an opponent.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Mishima
    Participant

OK. So are you looking for something with solo gaming potential?

I have played FoW a grand total of 2 times so maybe not the best to answer specifics.

Tim from Gomi Designs. 15mm Vietnam riverine. www.gomidesigns.co.uk

Mark Jones
    Participant

Thanks for the recommendation Paul

Is IGOUGO “I go once you go once?”

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Mark Jones.
    Mark Jones
    Participant

I have 2 or 3 friends that will come over my house to wargame (one for definite) so it doesn’t have to be solitaire

Paul
    Participant

Yeah, I go, you go. Oh, and welcome to wargaming by the way.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Mark Jones
    Participant

Thanks Paul

kyoteblue
    Participant

FOW is a beer and pretzels kind of game, it is well supported and some of the starter boxes are a good way to buy into it. I’ve been playing it since 2005 and still enjoy it. Some people hate it. Just the way it is. You can also pick up painted troops and tanks off E-bay and other places.
    Hope you enjoy it, I’ll try to answer any questions you have.

Mark Jones
    Participant

Can I ask what people hate about it? Is it a few things or is there just one or two main things that bug people?

I’ve watched a few Flames of War games on ‘The Beasts of War’ Youtube vids with Warren and Dave. Not sure if anyone has seen them but they are great fun and informative too.

kyoteblue
    Participant

They hate it’s popularity, IGOYOUGO and sliding game scale. The D-6 system and tank parking lots. You will see or hear all those things and more. I just enjoy it for what it is.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Oh and I did some battle reports from some of my FOW games on the WW2 board.

Mark Jones
    Participant

Thanks kyoteblue

Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

I don’t like FOW myself (and that has nothing to do with it’s popularity), Mark, but if the quoted statement is true have you considered playing FOW in 6mm? 6mm is cheaper (so long as you’re not buying from GHQ) and much, much easier to paint than 15mm.

Mike
    Keymaster

Can I ask what people hate about it? Is it a few things or is there just one or two main things that bug people?

I have seen a good number of complaints on the net that FOW is just about lining tanks up next to each other and trundling forward, like some sort of moving car park.

Mark Jones
    Participant

Isn’t that how it works though? Not that I know anything mind you 🙂 Watching some of the Beasts of War Youtube vids, I think there’s a rule where you have to stay within a few inches of each other. Perhaps that is the culprit with tank block type advances.

That is a problem though because I like a fluid game. To use an example, X-Wing Minis, which, whilst I’ve not played, I’ve watched a good few tutorials and I like how the movement is so fluid. It keeps your options open from turn to turn.

One of the reasons I am not really interested in rank and file battles is because aside from cavalry, it seems like you line, up, move forward, and then it’s just a war of attrition.

Is there a WW2 game out there that doesn’t have the trundling car park issue?

Mark Jones
    Participant

I don’t like FOW myself (and that has nothing to do with it’s popularity), Mark, but if the quoted statement is true have you considered playing FOW in 6mm? 6mm is cheaper (so long as you’re not buying from GHQ) and much, much easier to paint than 15mm.

6mm? Now that’s an option

Mike
    Keymaster

BKC* seemed ok the few times I played it.
    My only issue was the command system but that can be easily tweaked to bother me less.

*Blitzkrieg Commander

Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

Is there a WW2 game out there that doesn’t have the trundling car park issue?

I think it’s more a question of model size vs playing space. The bigger the models and the more of them you have the less room on the table there is for them. Having said that if you can put 80 or 90 6mm AFVs on a table (and I can) it’s going to look crowded.

As for rules our group is about to start giving the PanzerTruppe rules a go using our existing 6mm collections.

@ Editor Mike, my reason for not being a fan of FOW is that the shooting and movement distances look wrong compared to the size of the figures. Then there’s that in out in out shake it all about hokey-cokey “bailing out” tank crew rule, what’s that representing? I also don’t like flashy, expensive, lardy-dar explain it all with pictures rulebooks, I like A5, black and white, I’m just going to assume you already know what a blooming six sided die is no nonsense affairs! And at this point I should probably add “get off my lawn!”. lol

kyoteblue
    Participant

It is true that the model ground scale for FOW works much better in 6mm. I have been tempted to do Team Yankee FOW in 6mm, but I’m building up tons of the BF 15mm models and already have lots of QRF models built and painted.

Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

I know what you mean, Kyote, once a collection reaches a certain size its gravitational mass demands that further purchases be in the same scale. I would have loved to do WWII in 10mm but my vast amounts of 6mm stuff simply won’t allow it…

Sane Max
    Participant

FoW is usually attacked for the ‘Wall of Tanks’ effect but IMHO that’s down to the players rather than the rules, I have seen it in other games and the adequate use of things like air support will put those players off doing it quite quickly. My real issues with it are that is Artillery on the table – Yes,  I understand they have a telescoping scale theory but it looks wrong to me, very wrong and that you have lots of Supplements.

I like Blitzkrieg Commander, it’s all in one book and is simple to learn and fun to play. 6mm is a bloody good suggestion for a non-painter, I second that.

kyoteblue
    Participant

It’s all down to what you enjoy. I don’t bunch up tanks or infantry and just use a spotter for arty that is off table.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.